Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • OS map GPS logging
  • yodagoat
    Free Member

I’ve seen on some folks ride reports that they have an OS map with their route taken on it. I assume this is done using GPS? The programme on my phone allows me to export a route as GPX, XML and CSV files(whatever they are).
    I’m after a programme or website (preferably free) that I can get one of these OS maps with my route overlaid on it, as my software only uses google maps so there are no trails marked on it. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

druidh
    Free Member
    StefMcDef
    Free Member

It’s not free, but Viewranger lets you chart your progress on OS maps, (which also have to be paid for).

I never got round to it but I presume you could export/import those maps easily enough.

Andy-W
    Free Member

I have used sports-tracker for a couple of years and that works fine but its not OS mapping just google maps

looking at getting a Garmin 800 in the new year if they get good reviews….just for the OS mapping (shame about the cost)

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

I have a Oregon 450. Great product, I find I use it more and more. I have OS maps, I found 1:50 more than enough for wilderness trips. Great for on road touring to as it has a car sat nav mode (route).

yodagoat
    Free Member
    yodagoat
    Free Member

fux ake, it never kept the route! I’ll try and get a picture using the print screen trick.

ebygomm
    Free Member

There’s lots of sites about

You can upload a gpx file here and get a url to share with others that will show your route on it.

It’s fairly easy to set up your own site with OS Openspace to display gpx files over OS mapping

foxyrider
    Free Member

The Garmin 800 with 50K OS map of UK is great – used it the first time sunday – very clear display and even records the outside temp as I noticed it dropped to 0 C at the top of Dartmoor yesterday afternoon – now I know why my feet froze 😉

luds
    Free Member

http://www.bikehike.co.uk/

Been using this for a little while, seems to work well.

yodagoat
    Free Member

sometimes it says that my gpx file is too big. any way round this?

CraigW
    Free Member

You could use GPSBabel to reduce the number of points in the track. Set the input and output formats to GPX, and choose the option for filters then simplify.

Ax3M4n
    Free Member

OS Explore

Try OS Explorer – you can transfer your routes manually onto OS maps, and it’s free, although a bit time consuming.

It’s a Beta also – so maybe OS will include GPX as a method to create your route.

trickydisco
    Free Member

>Foxyrider

What do you think about the 800? I read this on wiggle reviews

…there are currently some issues that make this a poor choice over the 705:
    The display is lower contrast and much harder to read than the 705. One partial solution is to use less data fields but that kind of defeats the object? Another would be to turn off the smooth font and perhaps that can be achieved in a firmware upgrade.

The alerts are SO quiet that they are easy to miss and the loud CHEEP alert has been replaced with a tiny beep. Navigation alerts are also too quiet. This makes the 800 quite difficult to use out on the bike when wind/road noise is rushing through your ears.
    Only two data fields are available on the navigation map. This isn’t enough – I use four on the 705…

Garmin needs to step in and address these issues before this device can be recommended… right now it’s a seriously flawed device in terms of it’s usefulness out on the bike…”

Do you agree?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘OS map GPS logging’ is closed to new replies.