Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Os map app for windows phone
  • astura
    Free Member

Anyone know the best os map app for windows phone, Nokia lumia 925

Drac

Viewranger is the best OS Map App but I’m not sure if it’s on Windows mobile.

samjgeorge86
    Free Member

There isn’t one. Simple answer.
    And if there is, I’d love to know. Been looking for one for months!!

Drac

Other Devices
    Sorry, ViewRanger does not run on Windows based phones.

😕

astura
    Free Member

Surely there’s gota be something

molgrips
    Free Member

Leisure maps

samjgeorge86
    Free Member

Leisure Maps

No longer available.
    I read on a page a few months ago, that no OS maps will be allowed in the Windows Phone store. Apparently they are forcing users to use Bing. This could be complete BS, just saying what I read.

molgrips
    Free Member

Bing maps isn’t on the phone is it?

samjgeorge86
    Free Member

It is yeah. Bing / Microsoft.
    They are shocking though, I think they are called “Here Maps” or something similar, I deleted them and downloaded Google Maps. Which are no better for Walking/Hiking/Biking if you want OS maps.

I am yet to find any app that uses OS maps. Struggling like mad. I’ve kept my old Android device as I have Memory-Maps on there with Full UK 1:25000 maps.

astura
    Free Member

Yeh you can get bing maps but still no os

anono
    binners

I’ve been using Outside, and it’s pretty good. It’s on an iPhone, but if you can get it for Windows, I’d recommend it.

Danny79
    Free Member

Not tried it but it’s got good reviews “GPS to Grid Ref” in windows phone store.

d45yth
    Free Member

Memory Map?
    Edit – sorry, saw a link for it mentioning Windows phones…have since clicked link to see it’s not available yet!

tomcrow99

There used to be a really good one called os maps or something but it got pulled, I think its due to how wp8 cached the maps which broke the os terms and conditions. It’s very annoying though as the 1020 is great in almost every other respect, I ended up buying a cheap Motorola defy to use purely as a mapping and tracking phone so I could use view ranger. If you look at the view ranger face book page lots of folk request a wp8 but they never respond which is a shame.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Have a look at Backcountry Navigator, according to outdoorsmagic.com forum of Feb 2012 it works on windows phones. I use it on android and think it’s excellent. It uses multimap OS 1:25k maps which I think is also Bing maps, so might be promising that it does all work. If it does work and you need any help, I’ve got basic knowledge of the functions.

seadog101

I’ve been using Simple OSM. Not OS, but does enough for me to keep me on track and not too lost.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Backcountry Navigator is amazingly good.

astura
    Free Member

No Backcountry Navigator on windows phone 🙁

astura
    Free Member

GPS to grid ref does the job. 0.79p but has the maps i want and what im after. Perfect

molgrips
    Free Member

Just downloaded GPS to Grid Ref. Works a treat.

Flaperon

It is yeah. Bing / Microsoft.

No, it’s not. Ordnance Survey run incredibly restrictive licensing and simply will not allow it. You could potentially do it but the upfront cost of developing the app would be astronomical.

Why do you think Garmin charge upwards of £300 for 1:25k? It’s not their decision…

Having had a major falling out with OS regarding their licensing conditions I’m pretty sure that we’ll not see OS mapping in the Windows store for some years to come.

ampthill

o, it’s not. Ordnance Survey run incredibly restrictive licensing and simply will not allow it. You could potentially do it but the upfront cost of developing the app would be astronomical.

Why do you think Garmin charge upwards of £300 for 1:25k? It’s not their decision…

Having had a major falling out with OS regarding their licensing conditions I’m pretty sure that we’ll not see OS mapping in the Windows store for some years to come.

So why is the situation different to the other phone OS. Where we seem to be able to all the maps we want for free in the name of “caching”

Flaperon

Either the developer is legit and considers the market powerful enough to pay for the map licensing upfront, or they’re registered outside the UK and utilising multiple / rotating API keys.

Google will potentially pull the app if OS kick up a big enough fuss, but they’re reluctant to as they make cash from the ads.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Os map app for windows phone’ is closed to new replies.