Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • OS Getamaps – opinions? experiences?
  • MussEd
    Free Member

Fancy this to give me the full UK coverage and then can print off relevant bits as and when I need them…I’ve got Garmin OS that came with my Edge but can’t seem to get that permanently on my Mac…

£18 a year has to represent value for money? But not sure about Silverlight or it’s compatibility with Garmin Basecamp….anyone use Getamaps like this, if so would you recommend it…

Thanks in advance, won’t be able to respond for a while, away out to enjoy this marvellous sunshine – by digging up bloody tree stumps in the garden….

scotroutes

The new version of OS Getamap doesn’t use Silverlight. It’s still in beta at the moment but seems to be hanging together OK.

It’s got nothing at all to do with Basecamp either. I use both for different reasons. Basecamp is mostly my archive and lets me do “on road” routing. Getamap gives me more mapping. For £18 a year I think it’s a no-brainer.

MussEd
    Free Member

First stump done – feel my power!

Is the Beta version available to plebs like me? I’m no guru Meta Beta Getamap guy like you mate!

With regards to Basecamp – i really meant if the OS maps from Getamap could be stored permanently on my Mac(or am I misunderstanding this?) as my Edge has to upload the maps every time I plug into the computer which then takes ages to appear in basecamp…was hoping to use it for route creation etc (and to print off paper back ups to GPS which I’ll have with me)

jambalaya
    Free Member

Been a Getamap user for 3 years. I love maps and planning etc and I think its well worth the money. Lots of people post routes / suggestions on here and I am straight on GetaMap to have a look.

You cannot store the maps on your mac other than printing them to pdf/jpeg as such – which I do a lot and them mark them up with a programme like SketchBook Express to use as a paper backup. You can save the images onto your phone too via email/iBook/etc.

I have added feedback on the Beta that I want the ability to export to GPX. the Beta is much better than the Silverlight bollix of the prior version (I use on Mac and PC)

I think the Beta is only available to GetaMap subscribers

I will email you some files as a sample

scotroutes

As above – Getamap is an online service so you aren’t storing the maps locally.

One way around your Basecamp issue is (might) be to buy a USB drive, copy the Garmin map onto that, and leave it plugged into your map. That’s what I’ve done for my PC. Basecamp just sees an external drive with the Garmin mapping on it and uses it as if you had your Edge/Etrex plugged in.

I have to say though, even without that hack, Basecamp reads the mapping off my Oregon really quickly.

chris1h
    Free Member

Does anyone know if I subscribe to getamap whether I can then download maps to my edge 810 on a micro SD?

jambalaya
    Free Member

@chris1h no. As above its not a map download service.

Moses

Also see this thread

On-Line maps

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘OS Getamaps – opinions? experiences?’ is closed to new replies.