Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • OS 1:25k on iPhone
  • footflaps

Cool, so thats within the web app itself, cheers

No, that’s from the website, although it is styled like an iPhone App for some reason….

https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/osmaps/

Then click on My user name in the menu bar, then ‘Subscribe’ in the pop up menu and you get taken to the iOS-esque page

plyphon
    Free Member

Yes, that’s called a web application. There are two different types, the mobile application and the web application.

So when I say “the app” I meant from within the “OS Maps product”, rather than the mobile app specifically (which can be confusing I admit)

plyphon
    Free Member

Anyway, we should probably thank the mods for their patience here and not locking the thread so far – I don’t want them to start thinking i’m here purely to use the forum as a user testing resource!

footflaps

To be honest, it’s not much of an advert for the site, if you hadn’t posted I’d have walked away, as I can’t stand shite UIs.

As it is, I’ve forked out the £20 and it seems OK so far!

plyphon
    Free Member

Thanks! Let us know how you get on. If you have any feedback regarding either mobile or web version shoot our customer service guys an email if you find the time – they’ll forward it down to the correct guys.

We pushed live a new version of the iPhone app today with an updated compass design which works really well. Activate it by tapping the location button twice.

Cheers!

mikeakelly

I had just opted for the OS Mapfinder app a couple of weeks ago (Mapfinder not Maps), on the basis that Maps wouldn’t cash tiles to your device – that was after spending a long time trying to understand the different products. Sounds like buying tiles for the Mapfinder app was a waste of money if the subscription service now allows that. Grrr etc

dickyhepburn
    Free Member

OS map finder works well, just download area of interest before you go – sometimes you’ll have to download multiple 1:25s to cover a complete route.

The desktop and iOS apps sort of work together (preferred getamap – but only because I got used to it!)

plyphon – any chance of direction up rather than just north up for those of us that turn maps around to face the direction were going…

Cowman

I much much prefer os mapfinder to, as I understand it, its replacement OS maps.

The ability to have better track recording is good. The knowledge that I’ve bought the tiles, and they are there is as I drive out more reasurring.

The interface is also clearer and sharper.

The biggest thing though for me is the zoom. I can zoom in to a much higher level on the 1 to 25 thou on mapfinder.

footflaps

OK, used it today in anger in the Lake District with no mobile coverage. It worked well but there are a couple of minor foibles:

1. It often seems to forget to load the maps and you have to zoom in and wait maybe 10-15secs for the maps to appear even though I’d only moved 1km since I last used it. This is on an iPhone 6, so no shortage of processor power. NB I don’t let it run in the background, so kill the app after checking my location and then relaunch it next time etc (to stop it draining the battery in the background).
    2. The compass / direction arrow seemed pretty random, I’d prefer it if it just gave a dot for my location and I’ll use a real compass.

Way more handy than faffing with a proper map in a waterproof case etc when wandering round in the clag.

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘OS 1:25k on iPhone’ is closed to new replies.