Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 100 total)
  • OS 10.9
  • danielgroves
    Free Member

Anyone using GPGtools, going into Mail, Preferences and hit update before upgrading to Mavericks. Mail automatically disables the plugin in Mavericks as it’s not compatible, and the upgrade facility in System Prefs won’t download the new one, and you can’t download it from their site yet either.

You’ll be fine if you upgrade it before upgrading to mavericks though.

bamboo
    Free Member

The magic mouse no longer swipes back a page.

For some reason they have disabled this by default. If you go into your mouse settings, you can re-enable it

zokes
    Free Member

Now I’m used to “Australia tax”, whereby goods cost a little bit more than the exchange rate would predict.

I’m also used to “Apple tax”, whereby hardware costs a little bit more than the component list would predict.

But it now seems we have a new monster “Australia Mac Pro tax”, whereby it should cost around $4150 based on US prices, but in fact costs $5299. Guess I won’t be buying one of those, then….

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Jamie
    Free Member

Would be cheaper to have a holiday to the US and bring one back 8)

footflaps

It’s good to see Apple still have no idea what to do with the Dashboard. Either put a bullet in it’s head, or do something with it!

So it’s not just me then….

Three_Fish
    Free Member

You can carry out your own assassination:

How To Disable Dashboard

Jamie
    Free Member

You can carry out your own assassination:

How To Disable Dashboard

True, but it doesn’t address the original question. In that what is Apple doing with it? If they actually put some effort into it, and I dunno, release some new widgets for the first time in about 3/4 years it could actually be useful.

…although the answer seems to be they have forgotten about it.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

True, but it doesn’t address the original question. In that what’s Apple doing with it?

Who cares? It’s gone from your system and isn’t hogging any resources. I’m sure somebody somewhere uses the ‘feature’. Maybe.

Jamie
    Free Member

Who cares? It’s gone from your system and isn’t hogging any resources. I’m sure somebody somewhere uses the ‘feature’. Maybe.

Top Tip: If you don’t activate it after restarting/booting it never loads in the first place.

danielgroves
    Free Member

For anyone else who needs it, instructions for enabling TRIM on Mavericks for after-market SSD upgrades. https://digitaldj.net/blog/2011/11/17/trim-enabler-for-os-x-lion-mountain-lion-mavericks/

grum
    Free Member

What’s the deal with Adobe CC then? I did the Mavericks update on my Macbook Pro and some message came up about Adobe stuff not working (didn’t see it as my missus was using it).

Is there an update available or should I hold off installing Mavericks on my iMac?

Drac

Upgraded this am.

Well I think I did there’s some shiny icons appeared.

willard

Upgraded from the one before last with no issues. Seems a mite slow right now, but I have a feeling it’s still tidying up after the reboot. I’ll give a few more minutes and see what it does.

Other than that? It looks about the same. Maybe a bit smoother, a couple of extra icons (Maps???) in the dock, some missing from System Preferences, I have a strong feeling it installed Java for me too (which I don’t want).

We’ll see.

CaptainSlow

Jamie – I like the look of Maverick due to the changes in finder. is it worth upgrading or paying the 40$ for a licence for pathfinder?

nickdavies

Is there any point killing dashboard? Does it save battery/speed things up etc?

Only ask as i’ve never used it – in fact I just had to google to find out what it was! If I can kill it off and get a bit more battery or performance happy days… 🙂

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’ve left MrsBouy updating her MBP & my Air… 😯

I expect some rather choice language when I get back home.. 😆

rockhopperbike

have you seen the maps – looks like around 10 years ago for my area!

stu1972
    Free Member

Not going to risk it, i have a fair amount of Native Instruments music software programs along with Ableton and they tend to spit the dummy if i do anything unusual, I’m leaving well alone.

My sentiments exactly. ML played havoc with Logic Pro & Ableton on my mac. Very stable back on 10.6.8

footflaps

have you seen the maps – looks like around 10 years ago for my area!

I can’t see how they can ever catch up with Google, who are adding detail 24/7….

Jamie
    Free Member

Jamie – I like the look of Maverick due to the changes in finder. is it worth upgrading or paying the 40$ for a licence for pathfinder?

Hard to say really. It is, for me, a total finder replacement. Run it full screen so can do all my file bizznizz in one window.

They do a 30 day trial just to have a look at it: http://www.cocoatech.com/pathfinder/

CaptainSlow

Will you stop using pathfinder in maverick or are the maverick changes good enough?

I’ve downloaded the demo – its much better than the default finder. But if Maverick has similar functionality I can save $40 but I don’t want to upgrade to Maverick too soon in case of issues etc

Jamie
    Free Member

Will you stop using pathfinder in maverick or are the maverick changes good enough?

Nope.

Main reason is dual pane view…which can have multiple tabs per pane….but Path Finder really is very powerful. Size browser, batch file renaming, drop stack, easy toggling of invisible files, preview, customisable folder views etc.

This might help:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWmnx8MMnzM[/video]

Use it for a week and see how you get on.

Drac

ave you seen the maps – looks like around 10 years ago for my area!

Yeah. Much more recent than Google or Bing.

CaptainSlow

I’ve only been using it for about the last 30 mins while working and I’m impressed enough to pay the $40 already.

Need to suss out what else I can do and how else it can save time – thx for the tip 🙂

Are there any other apps I should try out?

Jamie
    Free Member

My personal favourite is Popclip. It brings the contextual tool bar from iOS to OSX, but with a million times more functionality with added extensions.

Mac Appstore Linky.

Here’s a Brummie reviewing it on Youtube:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qv3Gbce75gg[/video]

———————————————————————————————————————

If you work on multiple ‘spaces‘, then Yoink is good value.

Mac Appstore Linky.

Bartender is a great little utility for tidying up the mac toolbar. Not essential, but nice if you’re a bit of a tart who likes a nice neat toolbar without a million icons up there. Not available in the Mac App store.

Finally, Alfred. It’s an App launcher at heart. I use it to replace spotlight. Can be used as it is for free, or extra functionality can be opened up when you buy the powerpack.

Reviews here and here.

All available with free trials via their websites.

glenh
    Free Member

zokes – Member
    Now I’m used to “Australia tax”, whereby goods cost a little bit more than the exchange rate would predict.

I’m also used to “Apple tax”, whereby hardware costs a little bit more than the component list would predict.

But it now seems we have a new monster “Australia Mac Pro tax”, whereby it should cost around $4150 based on US prices, but in fact costs $5299. Guess I won’t be buying one of those, then….

Rather offset by this though, surely:

http://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=GBP&to=AUD&view=10Y
    http://www.tradingeconomics.com/australia/gdp

CaptainSlow

Not sure about popclip tbh based on the brummies video. I’ll check it out though, rude not to. Looking at your spaces link had me confused for a while. These are the desktops, right? I cant work out how to assign apps though as the instructions on the clicky you provided don’t seem relevant to 10.8?

Yoink. wowsers. Another one of my pet peeves solved today. At this rate I’m starting to develop a bit of a man crush 😉

thanks Jamie 😀

grum
    Free Member

I much prefer Quicksilver to Alfred. Maybe just because it looks so much better.

footflaps

I thought Apps remembered which pane they were last used in and launch in that one?

Jamie
    Free Member

I much prefer Quicksilver to Alfred. Maybe just because it looks so much better.

I will have to respectfully disagree with you on that one.

grum
    Free Member

I disagree with you disrespectfully.

Jamie
    Free Member

Not sure about popclip tbh based on the brummies video. I’ll check it out though, rude not to.

Seriously. You will wonder how you got on before using it. Highlighting text and being able to send it to Evernote, a postcode to Google Maps, define a word, search in google, spellchecker etc etc.

Looking at your spaces link had me confused for a while. These are the desktops, right?

Yeah, spaces are what Apple called desktops for a bit. Maybe they stopped being planks, and went back to calling them desktops again?

I cant work out how to assign apps though as the instructions on the clicky you provided don’t seem relevant to 10.8?

Right/ctrl click the app icon and select the ‘desktop’ you want it assigned to:

If you want your desktops arranged in a different order, just enter Mission Control and drag the windows at the top into the appropriate order. You can also add extra desktops here.

If any of this is obvious to you, or you know it already, then I regret nothing and Grum is still wrong.

CaptainSlow

alright – you persuaded me, thanks again Jamie.:)

thekingisdead
    Free Member

Just installing mine now. How come its free? The cynic in me is struggling to understand such a move….

jambalaya
    Free Member

Downloaded and installed on a 2009 Mac Mini running Lion (10.7), all trouble free. Like the new features in Finder and Safari especially

Doesn’t look like I am seeing free upgrades to numbers, pages, iPhoto – all quite ancient though from iLife 08/09 – have a link (via MacRumours forum) for a free iWork9 trial which is then upgradable for free, will keep you posted if that works

bensales
    Free Member

thekingisdead – Member
    Just installing mine now. How come its free? The cynic in me is struggling to understand such a move….

Free because there’s not much shiny stuff. Joe Bloggs Public don’t understand improvements they can’t see. So all the performance and power stuff just by-passes most. Apple have obviously decided they’d rather give it away, and therefore get maximum adoption, and then reap the benefits of people having fast(er), and more efficient Macs, rather than making a few more quid.

The next release will probably cost, because it’s likely to be a shiny chrome-filled redesign of the UI in keeping with iOS7.

Jamie
    Free Member

It’s been coming…

bikebouy
    Free Member

What
    Are
    You
    Lot
    Whining
    About
    ?
    It’s
    An
    Update.
    🙄

mboy
    Free Member

Few years ago Apple dropped the prices of their machines in an attempt to take market share off Microsoft, and succeeded to a degree.

People new to Mac’s then moaned about the high price of software too.

Apple crept the prices of machines back up, and reduced the software costs. Nobody noticed the additional £100 per machine, but everyone was ecstatic they can now update to the new OS for very little money.

The release of 10.9 onto the world for “free” comes only a few weeks after Apple put the prices of some of its base machines up by £50 (or more) again… To be fair, I know I sound cynical right now, but I understand why they do it. If you want to buy a shiny new iMac, the fact that a month ago it was £1099 and now it’s £1149 isn’t going to concern you in the slightest, but if you had to pay £20 for the latest OS only a few months after you’d bought the machine you’d be annoyed!

This way, as stated above, everyone will adopt quicker meaning they can drop support for older OS’s much sooner. I’ve been running 10.6.8 on my hack, and 10.7.5 on my laptop cos I didn’t want to pay to upgrade to mountain lion when I saw (for me) no benefit. As 10.9 is free, providing its stable then I’ll be on it pretty soon.

danielgroves
    Free Member

Upgraded from the one before last with no issues. Seems a mite slow right now, but I have a feeling it’s still tidying up after the reboot. I’ll give a few more minutes and see what it does.

Spotlight is probably reindexing your file system after the update, which would be why it feels slow.

Finally, Alfred. It’s an App launcher at heart. I use it to replace spotlight. Can be used as it is for free, or extra functionality can be opened up when you buy the powerpack.

I would recommend Alfred endlessly, I’ve been using it since Beta, and been a Mega Supporter from the start. Love it, love it, love it!

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I though Quicksilver was no longer in development, and thus is no longer supported? Either way, I must also disagree with you here.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 100 total)

The topic ‘OS 10.9’ is closed to new replies.