Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 100 total)
  • OS 10.9
  • ratherbeintobago

Anyone running it yet?

Anyone actually able to download?

bamboo
    Free Member

Downloading fine (so far) here – I’ve done 1gb in roughly 10mins.

Jamie
    Free Member

torsoinalake
    Free Member

It’s installing now. HDD on my iMac shat itself recently so figured now is as good a time as any while I’m doing a clean install.

codybrennan
    Free Member

About 10% down.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Done.

Struggling to see what is different to be honest.

bamboo
    Free Member

Do you need to back all of your documents up? I’ve set mine installing under the assumption that all my stuff will still be there….

torsoinalake
    Free Member

You should always have a backup regardless.

AdamW
    Free Member

Just finished installing and will take a peek. Looking forward at least to the finder tabs and tagging as I can’t abide loads of windows open.

You can’t really complain with free though, and I guess the technical improvements will help laptops as opposed to my iMac.

@Bamboo – you haven’t got a time machine disk set-up?

flap_jack
    Free Member

I’ll wait for a stable version…I bet it doesn’t support ios 6 either.

stevious

Installed it and it deleted all of my photos of amusing road signs then made all my sufferfest videos 15% harder. WTF?

ruminant
    Free Member

over 3 hrs to wait for mine 🙁

who’s nicked all my bandwidth?

mrmo
    Free Member

downloaded the GM build a few days ago, Safari has a few new features that i like, but other than that not much APPEARS to have changed. yes there is maps, ibook etc, just haven’t used them so no comments.

johndoh
    Free Member

Don’t download it if you have 2012 Air – it might kill the SSD…

http://www.apple.com/support/macbookair-flashdrive/

Mine just imploded after updating Adobe CC

Jamie
    Free Member

No option to switch to 2D dock….oh FFS 😡

There was an update earlier in the week to determine if you needed your drive replacing. I bought my MBA in June, and apparently it’s ok.

johndoh
    Free Member

Yeah – the Apple release came out on 17/10 – I killed mine on 19th…

bamboo
    Free Member

I can confirm that my files are all still there. I’ll sort out the time machine tomorrow!

Jamie
    Free Member

So far I am going to sum up my experience by saying at least it was free.

It’s good to see Apple still have no idea what to do with the Dashboard. Either put a bullet in it’s head, or do something with it!

grum
    Free Member

Where does it tell you how much it’s downloaded?

Edit: doh! Just found it.

codybrennan
    Free Member

Tabbed Finder is handy.

nickdavies

http://www.apple.com/support/macbookair-flashdrive/

Mine just imploded after updating Adobe CC

Oops… mine’s been sat doing it for the past hour or so. Not much I can see different except the fan is blaring away, and they’ve broken Chrome. The magic mouse no longer swipes back a page.

Best go run this tool and see if it’s time for a new SSD!

Jamie
    Free Member

Tabbed Finder is handy.

Shame, like tabs in Safari, it took so long to get here. I have been using Path Finder for a couple of years, and it just blows Finder into the trash bin. Even Total Finder has more advance feature set with dual panes etc.

fisha
    Free Member

Taking ages to download for me. Ho hum. I fully expect it to break my Adobe CC too.

Jamie
    Free Member

I fully expect it to break my Adobe CC too.

Photoshop CS6 works.

Anyway, nothing has blown me away, but will have a read through Ars Technica’s review tomorrow and see if there is anything I have missed.

zokes
    Free Member

So… Is this a worthwhile thing to do now, or is it best to leave you lot to find the bugs for Apple, and I’ll update my MacMini and MacBook Air in a few weeks?

Jamie
    Free Member

So… Is this a worthwhile thing to do now, or is it best to leave you lot to find the bugs for Apple, and I’ll update my MacMini and MacBook Air in a few weeks?

I’d wait. You’re really not missing anything. Also, if you haven’t already and depending on the age of your MBA, run update and see whether you need the SSD firmware update or your drive is borked.

…of course, if you like….erm….anyone? Has been waiting to be able to share links to LinkedIn, then go for it!

😐

*looks at dock…shudders*

justinbieber

OK, I feel like a total idiot – how do you figure out how much is left to download?

nickdavies

This SSD issue – is it a case of if Mavericks installs without borking it then it’s fine?
    All working fine here since installing, downloaded the firmware tool but it won’t run as ‘unsupported on your system’.
    Would quite like to find out if it’s going to implode on me as it’s nearly 2 years old so warranty almost up!

Creative Cloud needs updating to work, and VMware is running like a dog, but it’s OK cos I can fix that by buying the new version for £40. 🙁 Why do they have to change things….

Jamie
    Free Member

OK, I feel like a total idiot – how do you figure out how much is left to download?

Would quite like to find out if it’s going to implode on me as it’s nearly 2 years old so warranty almost up!

2 years? Is that a John Lewis warranty? As standard Apple is 1?

….oh, and what size/date is your SSD/MBA? As only 64/128GB from June 2012 affected.

justinbieber

my app store doesn’t have any download info at all. Just says that it’s downloading.

Jamie
    Free Member

my app store doesn’t have any download info at all. Just says that it’s downloading.

Have you clicked the Purchases tab?

nickdavies

Look at the lauchpad icon in the dock, it’ll have a progress bar and if you hover over it it’ll tell you downloaded/total file size.

Jamie
    Free Member

@Nick

If you want to see if you should be worried:

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1690?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

somafunk

Not going to risk it, i have a fair amount of Native Instruments music software programs along with Ableton and they tend to spit the dummy if i do anything unusual, I’m leaving well alone.

nickdavies

June 2012 MBA 128GB – it’s actually newer than I thought. Just after an excuse for a new one I suppose…

Apple’s warranty is apparently 2 years direct with them to comply with EU regs. (Sold as 1 year though.) As I found out when I went in the the store a couple of months ago asking nicely for a couple of spare keys as it was out of warranty and a couple had cracked.

They didn’t have any spare keys to do the job – so they replaced the top housing & keyboard and were going to replace the battery, heat issue caused the cracks apparently. Apparently a firmware update fixed the battery issue – I was still pretty impressed by the service though given it was out of the ‘official’ 1 year warranty!

Edit: Having a stupid moment – it’s a mid 2011 MBA not mid 2012. It is as old as I thought! Sounds like i’m safe then!

Jamie
    Free Member

Not going to risk it, i have a fair amount of Native Instruments music software programs along with Ableton and they tend to spit the dummy if i do anything unusual, I’m leaving well alone.

Not really an issue if one has a bootable backup in case things go sideways.

People do have backups, right?

…..but I do concur about NI being useless when it comes to compatibility updates.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Waiting for a bit before downloading, terrific it’s free I would have paid to upgrade my trusty 2009 Mac Mini.

justinbieber

Don’t have launch pad – I never made the jump to mountain lion. I think I’m still on snow leopard

danielgroves
    Free Member

MacBook is done, and seems to be running a tad faster for it. Will do the MacMini in the morning though, all the other Macs in the house are currently using it to install (it’s setup as a caching server).

somafunk

Yeah i have airport extreme back-ups but it’s still a hassle and a nervous wait to see if the NI stuff is going to play ball or not, their software is great when it works but if anything goes tits up their support is abysmal, I’ve an old Kore hardware unit that used to work great with my NI Komplete 7 package and was a hoot to use as a plug in with Ableton but it spat the dummy for no reason a year or so ago and NI just don’t wish to know, fingers crossed my Maschine and S4 will last a good while longer.

I’ve never had any issue wi Ableton.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 100 total)

The topic ‘OS 10.9’ is closed to new replies.