Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Oro v Elixir
  • JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

Looking to replace my XT M760 brakes.
    The XTs have been very easy to live with,but am looking for a bit more bite,and control.

Have been looking at the deal on Oro k18s and the various Elixirs at merlin.
    Which are best?
    Whats the difference between all the variations of Elixirs?

Particularly interested to hear from people who have tried both and have long term experience of living with them.

Feedback on ease of servicing,spares availability,pad changes and bleed process,also useful.

jimw
    Free Member

I have Elixir R's on my Trek with 8" rotors. They are very good- fantastic bite, good modulation and very powerful overall. Certainly compared to the XTR brakes ( 8" front rotor) on my Litespeed they are more powerful yet similar modulation. I have ridden a Lapierre Zesty with formula Oro brakes- and I preferred the feel of the Avids, although they were very good. I Have had the Trek for 6 months, still on the original pads, no other issues. The guy with the Lapierre has had the bike for four months with no issues and he has used it a lot, including Mayhem and the Passportes du Soleil

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

Any more?
    Hose length on the Oros from Merlin is rather long.How easy are they to shorten?Do they come with spare olive/inserts for shortening?

njee20
    Free Member

Shortening is the same for both, but the bleeding on Formulas can be a real pain, Avid's are much more 'fit and forget'.

The Elixir CRs have a carbon lever option and include tool free reach adjustment.

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

I've tried both on demo bikes (elixir cr). Obviously I cant comment on maintenance or reliability but I'd have to give the nod in terms of power to the oro. Personally I thought both systems felt quite similar in terms of lever feel and modulation.

Neither brake blew me away for any reason, just good all round no frills braking.

RealMan
    Free Member

Elixirs are dope, buy them.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Oro v Elixir’ is closed to new replies.