Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Original inbred as an all rounder + 456 tyre clearances and the cove handjob
  • ampthill

I'm spinning in circles on new bike/frame choices

I think my Orange Gringo is getting to the end of its life. I still love riding it but I feel the need for discs, a longer top tube and air fork of at least say 100m travel. The transmission is worn out. The frame is maxed out on 80mm forks…

The new bike will get the same use as the old. Woburn (woodsy single track) the odd trip to a trail centre, old fashioned off road riding in the lakes etc and when all else fails a road ride. I do enjoy a bit of pumping through stuff but we are not talking big air……..

Any way I fancy the original Inbred. I can't give you a really logical reason. Round here I don't see a great need for lots of travel. It sort of looks right (I use to own a Kona…)

My reservation are…

Is the chain getting caught post chain suck a big problem. Is it better than the 456 in this regard.

I'm also distracted by the Cove handjob. The frame price is ludicrous but the deore build from Merlin is much more reasonable (1080 with Reba's)

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/custom-mountain-bikes/cove-mountain-bikes/cove-handjob-custom-bike.html

Any idea how this rides. Like the Inbred it gets great reviews. The frame material is the same its probably better painted and a little slacker, which I fancy . But know mention anywhere is how it stacks up on chain and tyre clearance….

Sorry for the ramble any help appreciated….

qwerty
    Free Member

i can run Panaracer Rampage 2.35" tyres in my HJ with space for a little more, rides nice n steely, mines as slack as they come with a Pike wound down 8mm to the recommended 510mm AtoC

ampthill

That sounds promising looks like the Rampage is as big as I would need to go…

br
    Free Member

I found that a large/20" 456 was a bit tight with a big tyre (Nobby Nic 2.4) between it and the seat-stay 'can' – but around the chain-stay and the tyre sides, no problems.

Not had any chain-suck problems – but I maintain my bike 😉

Kit
    Free Member

Never had any chainsuck issues with my handjob, and I think I've had a Kenda Nevegal 2.35 in the back, with a little room left.

Rides great, looks great 🙂

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

I've got mates who have all three bikes between them and they love them all. You'll have to be quick with the inbred as they're no longer being made.

carlphillips
    Free Member

one SM's mates here, i have an inbred and a 456 and they are both ace bikes, the inbred will handle anything really well and it is ace in twisty singletrack.
    im not a fan of how the HJ rides but then im probably just used to the onone feel.

beerbelly
    Free Member

Been riding a cove handjob for 2 yrs now and they are ace need a 130mm fork though

Enjoy my handjob(second generation). I like the geometry and ride, the most. Have run Maxxis (advantages and aspens) 2.25's with no drama, reasonable clearance. The 456 has the advantage of longer fork possibilities. The HJ gets a little light and wanders in the front with longer forks (mine has 120mm) so a travel adjust is necessary.

bigrich

the handjob is a ballet dancer, the inbred is a prop forward. with flatulence. the 456 could get on the frontbench of the cabinet.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Original inbred as an all rounder + 456 tyre clearances and the cove handjob’ is closed to new replies.