Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Original iMac. What to do with?
  • wait4me

Moving home and emptying the loft. Is there a market for these yet? Shall I bin it? Or is there something wonderful just waiting for it to become?

Answers on a postcard.

involver
    Free Member

johndoh
    Free Member

Apparently they are becoming popular again (ie collectible) as people are using the cases and installing new internals.

A quick Ebay search suggests you might get around £100 for one now. It was about £20 a couple of years ago.

darrenspink
    Free Member

A quick Ebay search suggests you might get around £100 for one now. It was about £20 a couple of years ago.

Thats what ppl want for it, hit ‘sold listings’ and you get ones selling for £15.

surfer
    Free Member

Hang on, any minute now somebody will be along to tell you they are still using them and they run just as fast as when they were new etc….

mboy
    Free Member

I inherited 2 Quicksilver Powermac G4’s a few years ago, one was still fully functional too! As a stand-alone machine running software of its era, no issues whatsoever, but connect it to the internet and it just falls over!

Originally intended to use them to house modern internals and make decent spec Hackintoshes out of them, but when I realised just how much effort involved (not the Hackintosh part, that was easy, just bought a normal case in the end, but the cutting and modifying of the case to accept a “normal” ATX style motherboard and components I CBA with) they ended up doing a sterling job of speaker stand raisers.

Maybe all I need is a sheet of laminated glass and I’ve got a highly desirable Art Deco coffee table? 🙄

mboy
    Free Member

Hang on, any minute now somebody will be along to tell you they are still using them and they run just as fast as when they were new etc….

Don’t ever connect a machine to the internet or do any updates etc. and as long as you look after it, the likelihood is it still will be as fast as when it was new…

Meanwhile in the real world though! 😆

johndoh
    Free Member

Maybe all I need is a sheet of laminated glass and I’ve got a highly desirable Art Deco coffee table?

I have a couple of those and plan to do exactly that 🙂

plyphon
    Free Member

Maybe all I need is a sheet of laminated glass and I’ve got a highly desirable Art Deco coffee table?

You could probably sell that on Etsy for £400 or something nuts.

But sadly they’re pretty worthless.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Original iMac. What to do with?’ is closed to new replies.