Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Original Hope M4 brakes
  • metalhead99
    Free Member

Hello, I’ve been offered some original (I think) M4 Hopes. I wondered if anyone knew where I can see any photos of them and possibly any spec / info?

My google searches just keep pulling up the newer techs and monos.

I want to fit them to my old Spooky Metalhead to give it new life after hibernating in my shed for years.

Cheers

Kevevs
    Free Member

not the gold ones? good brakes. get in touch with Hope. they are friendly and helpful.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Have a look on eBay for pictures. Spec wise, what do you want to know? The original m4 used a black lever body with a silver lever in a shape similar to the very first shimano xt disc brakes. The caliper is silver with 4 piston. Two piston are larger than the others to give a more progressive feel. Hope have now stopped servicing or making spares for these if I understand correctly. However, I believe there’s still a fair bit of stock out there for consumables and pads/seals are still easy to come by.

DrRSwank
    Free Member

I had very early M4s and hated them. They were leaky nasty things that weren’t really up to the job of stopping a fat man.

Are the calipers silver as they could be E4s (Enduros) – I’ve seen these listed as early M4s before. I had some E4s and they were much better then the M4s.

Onzadog
    Free Member

other eBay listings are available

As the Dr says, e4 can look similar to the untrained eye. M4 caliper are marked with an m. The e4 uses the sport or pro levers which can be identified by their round reservoir caps.

uplink
    Free Member

Loads of info still available on them a quick google turned this up

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/article1807.html
    And there was a set on the classifieds with pics a couple of weeks ago

If you constrain your google searches to pre 2004 you’ll have more luck

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Perfectly good brakes. I was running them on he tandem but changed to 6 pots.

~will be IS mount so you need to know the caliper number to know what discs to use

M4s use the standard mini lever.

metalhead99
    Free Member

thanks for the help so far guys. I didn’t even know you could time limit google searches. That helps!

I’m waiting to hear back from the seller to find out more about them and exactly what model they are.

Hairychested
    Free Member

I’ve had the early Mini’s and never had problems with them. Go for them and stop worrying.

allthepies
    Free Member

Still use the original M4’s and are fine.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Original Hope M4 brakes’ is closed to new replies.