Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Orienteering – what do I need?
  • Kryton57

I volunteered to do an overnight – yes overnight – orienteering event with a friend of mine. We’ll have two hours training for map reading etc, but then were off. Its my first time so, what do I need? I have:

Merrells/Boots
    Hiking trousers
    Layers/Waterproofs
    cree pocket torch, will be buying a headtorch
    A camelback full of drink, mini-flask or coffee and some snacks
    A sense of humour

Anything else?

perchypanther
    Free Member

A map and a compass?

Kryton57

It comes with the event 🙂

Stoner
    Free Member

A Paramo top (called a “cagoule”)
    A beard
    A cloudy one of these

And an over confidence in your map reading ability…
    Have fun 🙂

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Ron Hills,

flushed cheeks,

unappetising sandwiches,

angry looking wife

momo

Basic first aid kit.
    Probably worth keeping some handwarmers in your bag too and a second pair of gloves. If you’re map reading, taking bearings etc you’ll not be able to stick your hands in your pockets if they get cold/wet.

alwillis

A ‘dibber’

fasthaggis

Change your name to Graham and buy a really big knife.

CraigW
    Free Member

A whistle.
    A GPS logger, so you can look at the track afterwards, and see how lost you were.
    Depends on terrain, but gaiters can be very useful.

stevious

You’re on a training plan, right?

In that case I’d take a garmin with HRM so that it logs the appropriate HR estimation of TSS. I’d keep it in my bag and not look at it at all during the event though as even carrying it is probably technically cheating*.

Footwear – I’d personally opt for fast/light over waterproofness/support. Depends on your attitude to the event though.

*If I was intending on being in any way competitive in the event I’d leave the garmin at home, but if I was just doing it for the experience I’d personally be happy with trusting myself not to cheat with it.

TomB

So some local orienteering events in daylight first? Can do courses that take less than an hour, will get you proper practice. Google local club.

benp1

Take a sit mat (like a cut down piece of neoprene), makes sitting down for a rest a much more pleasant experience

Where are you doing it? Might change what you need to take i.e. somewhere like the lakes and you probably want a bothy bag, whistle etc

Somewhere near home and you might want some takeaway menus to order on the way

I’d probably take a back up torch, even a bike light in your bag would be a good back up

joshvegas
    Free Member

Well tied laces

fifeandy
    Free Member

Foil blanket, whistle and mini first aid kit.
    Large elastic bands to wrap map and checkpoint descriptions round forearms.

Bit off-topic, but i totally recommend mountain bike orienteering to anyone that likes natural XC style riding.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Seriously refresh mapreading skills – I am amazed at how bad these are in events and how overreliant many have become on GPS

rock and run used to a great download called navigation for mountain runners i think

riklegge

Sharpie pen for marking up the map?

scud
    Free Member

Only advice would be that if it is a night time event as you say, would possibly be to fit a red filter to your torch, that way you don’t knacker your night vision each time you read the map?

CraigW
    Free Member

Nowadays most events have preprinted maps, so you don’t need a pen. But worth checking.
    Also check what sort of map it uses – is it an OS map, or is it a proper orienteering map? If so, worth learning what the symbols and colours on the map mean, and check what the scale is.

Not sure if a red filter on the torch would work – would it stop you seeing any red lines on the map?

natrix
    Free Member

You can use one of the permanent orienteering courses to practice on beforehand, they’re all over the place and are good fun. :mrgreen:

moff

Sounds interesting, what’s the event?

sweaman2
    Free Member

Is overnight in this context 2xday events with a sleep in between or one event with night navigation?

If it’s at night then are the way-points going to be marked (e.g with glow sticks)? or reflective tape? If reflective tape a bright bike light you can occasionally use to search for the marker might be helpful. It depends how devious the organizer is going to be.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Packet of tissues

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvRqZLkGtGQ[/video]

stevious

would possibly be to fit a red filter to your torch, that way you don’t knacker your night vision each time you read the map

I wouldn’t do this if using OS maps – the contour lines disappear when viewed under red light.

Kryton57

Well I ended up with some discounted thermal hiking trousers and a red/white coleman head torch from Millets. Other than that I’m using x 3 layers of bike kit – craft base, pearl izumi thermal mid and a Night vision wind/showerproof jacket on top, with calf length sealskin socks under my boots, plus Endure winter gloves

I have my larger camelback with spare batteries, drink, snacks, whistle, dry socks and a spare set of Altura winter gloves, but also a rolled up Endura Convert Jacket for the rain.

Its going to be character building – 12 miles of orienteering in a forest 10pm to 8am with rain forecast from midnight!

I know when Bike Racing they say do something different in the off season, but this is way out of my comfort zone!

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Orienteering – what do I need?’ is closed to new replies.