Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 157 total)
  • Orgreave
  • oldmanmtb
    Free Member

Wrongful arrest
    Purgory
    Falsifying statements
    Direct govt instructions
    Press told what to report by police officers/govt ministers
    Not worth investigating as nobody died….

You all now know the benchmark for govt and police “as long as you don’t kill anyone chaps” crack on.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Did you expect anything else?

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Saves some money though. Can be spent on other things.

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

No and injustice is always a cost saving…

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

I did hope but realistically it all goes a long way up the political world unlike Hillsborough.

binners

It was only ever going to go one way. We’ve had the truth FINALLY about Hillsborough, when anyone with anything between their ears knew what the truth was anyway.

Same mob/militia! Same hatred of ‘the workers’/scum. Same political agenda. Same tactics. Same old, same old…..

I think the government have let us have a lot more truth than they’d have ever have liked. They spent long enough covering it up.

Everyone knows what happened at Orgreave. Those in power certainly aren’t going to let another Hillsborough Enquiry take place just to confirm it

*awaits the usual right-wing half-wits to turn up saying Thatcher had to do it, the police were all angels, blah, blah, blah……*

jamj1974

Disgraceful but predictable!

scotroutes

Never mind, we’ll get a Public Enquiry when Corbyn is PM

jambalaya
    Free Member

“Not worth it as no one died” Not exactly what was said was it ?

The list gives the game away, the campaigners have turned it into a political anti-Thatcher issue. If that was really the case why no inquiry under 13 years of Labour ?

Strikers in large numbers turned up to make trouble, Police where prepared. When you look at the footage it’s all rather tame, the French CRS would laugh their socks off at the responce.

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

I have put to one side my hatred of Thatcher and unlike brexit which had a lot of stupid people being told what to do by this very group it remains that a government can justify a lack of justice bases upon the premises no one died – it’s been a miserable year

outofbreath
    Free Member

Everyone knows what happened at Orgreave.

Which is a pretty good reason not to waste any cash on an enquiry.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

“Not worth it as no one died” Not exactly what was said was it ?

Just pretend it’s a Jambafact.

cchris2lou

And as predicted here comes Jambalaya!
    Don’t know a lot about it all but reading BBC news, the campaigners were expecting an inquiry.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Never mind, we’ll get a Public Enquiry when Corbyn is PM

Maybe Jezza should apologise on behalf of Labour for not having held a public inquiry whilst they where in Government ?

Bottom line is Labour can make this a manifesto commitment. I can’t recall it ever having been so in the past.

binners

Everyone knows what happened at Orgreave.
    Which is a pretty good reason not to waste any cash on an enquiry.

Yes…. perish the thought that anyone in authority is ever held accountable for anything, Eh?

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

Jamba don’t pass comment on things you only saw on the TV you just look like a ****

jambalaya
    Free Member

Don’t know a lot about it all but reading BBC news, the campaigners were expecting an inquiry.

I watched the commons statement and the full interview session with the campaigners. Yes they believed after a meeting with Rudd a few months ago that it was only an issue of the type of the investigation which would be announced. That could be selective recollection though. As I said there is a very political angle here and it was not the families who made the claim.

ninfan
    Free Member

Didn’t they point out that not only had no one died, but nobody on either side was convicted either?

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

So Jamba where we’re you during the miners strike – geographically, work education etc really interested…

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

That’s right Ninfan as all the police evidence was manufactured

allthepies
    Free Member

Were you there ?

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

Not many coppers prosecuted for that crime…

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

Not Orgreave i was at Easington as an AUEW member (flying picket) and I got dragged out of a car on the A1 by the boys in blue..

irc

Jamba don’t pass comment on things you only saw on the TV you just look like a ****

I think that applies to just about everyone. 5000 miners and 5000 cops and the press were there. Everyone else is forming their opinion via second hand reports.

jamj1974

the French CRS would laugh their socks off at the responce.

That’s ok then.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Well @oldman indeed I wasn’t there so should no one comment who wasn’t there ? Being at Uni at the time I’ve seen plenty of footage over the years, less serious than poll tax riots ?

Not interested in being the Pantomine Villain, just focus on getting it into the Labour Party manifesto. TBH I am surprised it wasn’t debated at the 2016 Conference – not a priority for Corbyn ?

ninfan
    Free Member

That’s right Ninfan as all the police evidence was manufactured

So, let’s say that there was a full inquiry, all the footage from the day was reexamined and there was evidence of criminal offences by both sides?

Would you support the prosecution of miners for offences on the day, now, some thirty odd years later? Or is it just the police who should be ‘held to account’?

Be interested to see if you are applying equal standards.

What exactly do you suggest would be ‘put right’ by an inquiry when nobody died and nobody was convicted?

frankconway

Disappointing but totally predictable.
    Norman Tebbitt on radio earlier – miners, mob handed, out for trouble; police not aggressive, maintaining law & order etc.
    Some years ago I had a discussion with an ex senior copper from South Yorkshire police who was involved at Orgreave ‘…….there was much cracking of skulls and fisticuffs…..’
    Let’s not forget that Peter Wright was chief constable when both Orgreave and Hillsborough happened; he was well regarded by Thatcher so……draw your own conclusions.
    I believe that the endemic abuse of power (corruption anyone?) in South Yorkshire police over more than 40 years started in the Wright era and even now the stables have not been rinsed clean

binners

Because the Police were acting as a militia, with the full backing of the government, to send out the message that you could have the shit beaten out of you, then arrested and stitched up with fabricated evidence, and that was all ok.

it just depends if you think that that kind of thing should be happening in a democracy, with impunity?

Obviously we know where the usual right wing cockwombles stand in that question….

ninfan
    Free Member

You mean:

Because the Police miners were acting as a militia, with the full backing of the government unions, to send out the message that you could have the shit beaten out of you violently intimidate other workers and hold the country to ransom, then arrested and stitched up with fabricated evidence try and overthrow the democratically elected government of the day , and that was all ok.[/quote]

it just depends if you think that that kind of thing should be happening in a democracy, with impunity?

Obviously we know where the usual right left wing cockwombles agitprops stand in that question….

binners

Overthrowing governments?

Dear god 😆

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Because the Police were acting as a militia, with the full backing of the government, to send out the message that you could have the shit beaten out of you, then arrested and stitched up with fabricated evidence, and that was all ok.

Having been at a demo in London in the late 80s, I can attest to the fact that the police were not particularly nice and that this indeed was true.
    What’s a word that rhymes with punts?

MrWoppit
    Free Member

So. 5000 of Scargill’s Revolutionary Army turn up to close down the plant on the way to shutting down the industry prior to overthrowing the government.

5000 state enforcers turn up to stop them.

There’s a barney.

Injuries on both sides. The revolution fails.

And we need an enquiry why, exactly?

ninfan
    Free Member

@Binners:

“The strike was ruined the minute it was politicised, and in the mind of Arthur Scargill it was always a political struggle”. “He gave himself the credit for the success of the 1974 strike, but that was much exaggerated. “He had the illusion that if the workers were united, they could destabilise, even overthrow a democratically elected government. That was the falsehood of Scargill’s conclusion, and that is why I have always condemned him.”

Kinnock 2009

br
    Free Member

tbh For once I’m going to agree with Jamba, waste of time and money. Far better things to spend it on than lawyers and Govt officials.

And this comes from a Yorkshireman where the coal strike and the corresponding reduction in mining has impacted friends/family, and I was around at the time.

binners

You are Kelvin Mackenzie and I claim my entirely fabricated front page headline 😆

mrlebowski
    Free Member

I’m curious as to why when Labour were in Gov they appear to have done little or nothing over it?

Happy to be proved wrong..

frankconway

There were thugs on both sides; equally there were good guys on both sides.

@ninfan
    : can’t disagree with Kinnock’s analysis but Thatcher was lucky and Scargill was unlucky that Orgreave was in South Yorkshire which was chief constable Peter Wright’s personal fiefdom – ‘this is the north where we do what we want’ is not attributed to Wright but could easily have been.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Scargill, confirming Kinnock’s suspicions:

“If Thatcher had lost,” he told the Guardian yesterday, “the Tories would have dumped her as they did in 1990. Kinnock didn’t see what Wilson did and even Foot did in 1981. If he had supported the strike openly and called on other workers to support it, I believe Thatcher would have fallen and Kinnock would have become prime minister.

Nipper99
    Free Member

Overthrowing governments?

I think they thought they could do what they had done to Heath. The winter of discontent was the final nail in the coffin for the unions and any public sympathy.

Perhaps you should also remember David Wilkie as an example of the levels of violence that the strikers were prepared to go to.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 157 total)

The topic ‘Orgreave’ is closed to new replies.