Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Orgiva – Andalucia – Road Riding
  • jlc
    Free Member

Pondering about a week in Orgiva Road Cycling – Just wondered if anybody had been and whether its good for road cycling. Any route recommendations? Are there any maps with all the routes on and is it easy to follow them.

stevious

Have stayed in Velez de Benadualla nearby and it’s one of my favourite places in the world for road biking.

Cormac at Cycle Sierra Nevada does guided stuff and is well worth considering.

Bolt

Couple of friends highly recommend Vamos cycling.

I’ve only done mtb in the area but the roads do look great as long as you like climbing!

tom84
    Free Member

from the east side of orgiva, the entrance to the town from the lanjarron road, when facing in the direction of lanjarron, take the road on the right immediately up and keep going to pampaneira, and on. when you get to the turn to bubion don’t take it and head instead to travelez. you will be pretty beat up by this point after a LOT of sensational climbing. after travelez drop down a tiny bit and cross the valley and then head up a bit before taking a right down an insanely fast descent, at first quite open and then a series of brake locking switch backs through olive groves. then you go up to a junction head right down to a little town torvizcon where you cross a bridge and then you are on the lovely valley road that will take you back to orgiva. AMAZING ride and just one of many brilliant rides in the area.

tom84
    Free Member

ps. i just bought a map and explored, after nearly 10 years going back there i have no regrets,
    pps. take me!

crazy-legs

Loads round there, it’s perfect for road cycling.

Vamos are excellent.
    http://www.vamoscycling.com

They’re based just up the road from Orgiva in Cadiar. There used to be a couple of guiding outfits just the other side in Lanjaron as well. From any of those towns you’ve got the option of up into the mountains (Trevellez, Ragua) or down to the coast (anywhere from Motril along to puente del Rio)

Gary_C

Orgiva to Pampaneira for a good climb, the carry on to Trevellez.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Trevelez is the highest village in Spain, and has awesome Jamon…..

Worth the monstrous climb I’d say.

davidxbrown
    Free Member

Orgiva is a fab town to stay, been three times now for the mountain biking, but seen loads of roadies about, the suggested routes ^^^^ make a lot of sense.

tom84
    Free Member

ps. i wouldn’t actually stay in orgiva, nothing wrong with the place but I think the coast is better, more options food, accomodation and travel wise, esp. airport connections.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Vamos are excellent.

No availability March or April.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Cycle Sierra Nevada

Their long weekend looks like the sort of thing I’m after. Anyone been?

chakaping
    Free Member

Not been out there with my road bike but it looked fantastic for it.

I’d have no qualms about self-guiding.

singlespeedstu

Nobeerinthefridge – Member
    Trevelez is the highest village in Spain, and has awesome Jamon…..

These were hanging up in the cafe. 🙂

[url=https://flic.kr/p/yPHFj1]Jambons.[/url] by multispeedstu, on Flickr

mrblobby
    Free Member

I’d have no qualms about self-guiding.

Happy doing this but thinking it might be nice to have some others to ride with. Not really done that before though.

tom84
    Free Member

mr blobby, i will take you out, if you take me out! ooh er! I absolutely love the place and know it well

stevious

Mr B – I’ve been twice with CSN and enjoyed it both times. Met some cool folk in the process. His groups tend to be small.

tom84
    Free Member
    palmer77
    Free Member

I can show you around El Madroñal if you like 🙂

globalti
    Free Member

I spent a week in Orgiva with my full-rigid Trek mountain bike in about 1995. I locked the bike to the banister rail in the hostal but made the mistake of leaving my mitts and some other stuff downstairs and within a few minutes somebody had stolen them. But I was fit when I rode back to Malaga airport.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Orgiva – Andalucia – Road Riding’ is closed to new replies.