Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • organising photos – how to?
  • scotia
    Free Member

Hello,
    I use my Synology NAS for the storing of my photos and other digital data. offsite backup is done..

We have the photos organised with several big folder like ‘event’ ‘holidays’ etc and then within that a folder for each ‘outing/event/thing.. easy for that type of thing.

But what do people do for everyday photos/snapshots with the telephone etc??

We want to keep a bit more of a record of these photos as they are sometimes v cool.. but how so that its not just a folder by month with a jumble of photos inside?

we want to be able to find things afterwards!

And im not keen to make a folder for 1 or 2 photos.. seems not right?

any ideas?

what do STW do?

thanks in advance!

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Just use something that allows you to update the meta data on the photos. Tag them by event, location, give them a star rating etc.

Then you can just use a smart search/folder to find what you need.

richmars

Just one folder. Use tags, then search by tag or date taken.

cranberry
    Free Member

2 folders:

RAW
    JPGs

In each folder I create identical folders for each batch of photos, with the format:

CCYY-MM-DD-Description

for example:

2014-07-13-Ada and Babbage – first photos

Putting the date in that format means that the batches of photos will listed in date formatin the folder. This method only works well if you regularly copy everything off the camera after each session of taking photos and provide good descriptions.

wombat

In an old shoebox and then put the pictures in date order when you get them back from the developers.

You can make section dividers cut out of an old cereal box if you want to make finding stuff a bit easier.

If you have to use a second shoebox for overflow make sure you label the boxes so you know which one is the full one and which still has space in it.

HTH

scotia
    Free Member

thanks for the useful replies!

cranberry – thats exactly the file ref that i do now.. but its just for the day to day photos primarily taken with the phones..

what do people do with those?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘organising photos – how to?’ is closed to new replies.