Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Ordnance Survey – online mapping and printing £18/year
  • wwaswas

Just got an email. Seems pretty good value for access to all OS Explorer and Landranger maps electronically and print it yourself and includes route planning etc too.

https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/shop/os-maps-subscription-12-months-recurring.html

Over the last few months, we’ve been working on a new version of our online route planning tool, OS getamap. As a newsletter subscriber, we wanted you to be the first to know that the new version, OS Maps, is now ready to use and has some great features to help you plan for a memorable Bank Holiday weekend!

You can use OS Maps on your smartphone, tablet and desktop PC, and it gives you online access to every Explorer and Landranger map so you can plan walking, running and cycling routes and print maps on both A3 and A4.

As your complete tool for outdoor adventure, you could use OS Maps to plan a long weekend exploring a National Park with a map print and the route on your GPS device, or you could use the database of 40,000 places to visit to make the most of a trip to a historic town or picturesque village! You can also try over 500,000 existing routes and adjust your preferences to find out how long each route will take you to walk, run or ride.

Stoner
    Free Member

got the same email.

have just registered.

I wouldnt get too excited. It’s painfully slow, the interface is pretty crap, and for the life of me I cant seem to see any explorer or landranger mapping.

I just dont see the point of it.

Streemap may be shit but at least it has 1:25k and 1:50k

the OS site has no more detail than the (free) google mapping, and lots less information and functionality.

No really, Im having a play around and it is truly pointless.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I have been using GetaMap for 2 years, its great and well worth the money. I also have a Beta test version of the new Maps (better) and new iOS app (much better)

Stoner you click on the little “pile of tiles” to pull up 1:25 or 1:50,000 maps

Stoner
    Free Member

“pile of tiles”

eh?

wwaswas

just registered – if you try and ‘change map style’ in the bottom right hand corner it tells you that you need to be a paid member to access the 1:25 and 1:50 maps. Which is a pain as you can’t really try before you buy that way.

Stoner
    Free Member

ah, I see it now. You mean that white icon on the white background?
    cunning.

does anyone test this shit before sending it out?

And anyway, as you say, I cant even see what the route planning is like on explorer and landranger series.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I insist on posting this as I just spent 5 mins doing it

The route planning tool is on a menu called Routes 😉 tbh its not as good as bikehike / garmin but map quality makes up for it

wwaswas

Do you only get the big red arrow if you pay membership?

jambalaya
    Free Member

😀

jambalaya
    Free Member

If you can access the old os get a map you can see the 1:25 and 1:50 maps without paying – the interface has changed a bit but mapping is the same obviously

Stoner
    Free Member

and so I shall post this.
    I draw your attention to 1) the lack of any useful mapping and 2) the transparent icon in the bottom right. Bunch of arsebollox.

wwaswas

Maybe the Red Arrow is the OS equivalent of a ‘P’

jambalaya
    Free Member

Stoner YGM on a simple route plan experiment

I have been wearing reading glasses since I was 40, time for you ? 😉

helpful link

Stoner
    Free Member

nothing arrived yet

I bet even with your milk bottle bottoms on you cant read the scale bar!

warns74
    Free Member

I think the “pile of tiles” is to denote the “layers” of mapping available at different scales. Either way I’d still rather use the maps for free on Bing and draw on my route with a pen!

Took, less than 3 seconds: 🙂

http://binged.it/1FTBPt8

Stoner
    Free Member

warns – how do you print out in explorer mapping from Bing?

warns74
    Free Member

Full screen the map window in Bing, then I use the “snipping tool” in Windows to crop/copy the map image, (or screen grab) paste into Word at A3 with minimal margins, drag to fit the full page and print. Old school but works and double sided gives a pretty decent area for a longish ride.

[EDIT] you can also overlay GPX files onto the Bing OS maps and use the same process to print

Stoner
    Free Member

gotcha, ta

nickc

Click on current location, thinks I’m on the Bradford ring road. Not obvious how I change it’s mind.

Edit: got it. Blimey it’s clunky isn’t it

Stoner
    Free Member

thinks I’m on the Bradford ring road

The Hebden Triangle claims another soul.

nickc

😆

plyphon
    Free Member

I can’t say much, but the iOS app will be the tits 😉

jambalaya
    Free Member

OS Maps lets you print an area larger than the screen. I appreciate other solutions exist. I am a map geek so more than happy to give money to the OS. I also like to upload GPX tracks from endomondo and overlay onto the map and print/save – useful for sharing stuff.

I can’t say much, but the iOS app will be the tits

i am testing the beta, had an issue with no OS maps initially (now sorted via different login than my os maps one). So far I like it very much, just fingers crossed map tiles will be included with OS Maps subscription or just a bit more otherwise I will do without. Just got a £3 voucher as thanks for feedback 🙂 Will spend that on a paper map I don’t really need

fooman

Bing is handy but I’ve never got it to show os maps on a mobile

plyphon
    Free Member

i am testing the beta, had an issue with no OS maps initially (now sorted via different login than my os maps one). So far I like it very much, just fingers crossed map tiles will be included with OS Maps subscription or just a bit more otherwise I will do without. Just got a £3 voucher as thanks for feedback Will spend that on a paper map I don’t really need

That feedback button goes directly to the guy sat opposite me, feel free to give him some abuse 😆

edit: he was talking about setting up a proper feedback account so that may no longer be true……

jambalaya
    Free Member

Bunch of arsebollox

I will re-phrase this as post it as feedback, if I get another £3 I will know who to thank 😉

jambalaya
    Free Member

Say hi to Howard for me, loving your work !

warns74
    Free Member

Bing is handy but I’ve never got it to show os maps on a mobile

Not noticed this before (never tried it), but assuming the data is not licensed for mobile?

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Has anyone heard back from OS about testing their new phone app?

Hi,
    A few weeks ago you were kind enough to complete a survey regarding Ordnance Survey’s mobile applications.
    We’re close to launching a new app called OS Maps, and would like to offer you the chance to be one of the first users to test this app for us.
    In order to do this, we’ll need a few details from you, and we’ll set you up on our Beta testing application.

Stoner
    Free Member

nope, received nothing since that email.

Given the waste of space the new OS maps is, maybe they need some more help….

jambalaya
    Free Member

B.A. yes been testing the new app for a week or so – maps on 1:25 and 1:50 on the phone are really clear, I don’t use it to upload routes just check where/how lost I am. See @pyplon’s post above I assume he’s one of the developers. Perhaps its because I am an already paid up Getamap subscriber.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Bing OS maps show fine on my mobile. Mine is a Windows phone but I don’t think that will make a difference as I’m looking at them in a browser. I have to refresh the screen to update my location but that is the only problem I encounter so long as I have a data connection.

scotroutes

That reminds me – must buy an A3 printer now that OS Maps supports A3 printing.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Does anyone else use the walkhighlands Gps planner? I find that the best free online way to get 1.25k OS mapping. It’s not perfect but it is pretty good, much better than streetmap.

plyphon
    Free Member

I’ve no idea how the beta rollout will/is working, sorry.

A big fat sooooooooooooon is all I can say for iOS & Android I guess.

And yup, the maps look great on mobile.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

munrobiker – Member
    Does anyone else use the walkhighlands Gps planner? I find that the best free online way to get 1.25k OS mapping. It’s not perfect but it is pretty good, much better than streetmap.

No, I use BikeHike for planning/drawing/plotting routes, it’s very easy to use, you can quickly save your plotted route to hard drive. Only problem with it is they must have some limited licence or something as occasionally late evening the OS map doesn’t work.

cinnamon_girl

@ plyphon – can you help please? Printing margins on this new fangled version are much larger than with the previous version – is there any way to change this?

Thanks. 🙂

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Ordnance Survey – online mapping and printing £18/year’ is closed to new replies.