Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Ordering stuff to the office
  • yacoby
    Free Member

So I ordered a wheelset from a smaller bike shop with a credit card.

Because I now work (woo) I had them delivered to work (An office of a well known technology company, as well known something like Apple) as opposed to home (and because I am not in the the next couple weekends either)

However they want a photograph of:
    * Utility bill
    * Passport
    * Bank statement

Seems a bit much. Uh. Is this normal?

jam-bo

Delivery and billing address different ocassionally raises a few questions.

eddie11
    Free Member

just be thankful the company accepts personal post.

luke
    Free Member

Never been asked for extra before and I have had lots delivered to various offices in the past, the only time I had an issue was when a large order of fireworks was delivered to the office, my boss threw a hissy fit, I offered to take them straight home and have the afternoon off, but he declined, and carried on moaning for the rest of the day.

dovebiker

I’ve had a 17ft kayak delivered to the office! I’ve also have a number of Chinese-made titanium bike frames – we have 24 hour security and there’s no chance of any post going missing which is better than some dodgy couriers who do domestic deliveries.

takisawa2

My mate had a bathroom suite delivered to work.
    The sight of him carrying a sink across the office was a classic.

paulmgreen
    Free Member

Having just been the victim of a credit card fraud I would say you should be grateful for them confirming ID ! Small price to pay

chrisa87
    Free Member

Sounds fairly logical, never experienced it though and I have something delivered to work at least once a fortnight. Could be just for the first time to prove details are correct?

m360
    Free Member

We will only post to the cardholders address when taking payment over the phone, which I guess you are doing in this instance (rather than online)?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yep 1st order, new customer, ship to a random office, no link to the card holder. Would you ship it?

hooli

From what I understand, any fraud this way is not covered by the bank so the retailer has to pay and it really hits the smaller outfits.

sandwicheater

I’ve had similar on first orders. Along the lines of first order has to be to your billing address. After that we know you’re not a scammer and we’ll post anywhere.

vonplatz
    Free Member

Classic not telling the wife you’ve got a new bike behaviour.

hatter

Small shops have people trying to scam then all the time and the most common way is for someone to call with a stolen card then either ask for the bike to be delivered to a different address to the one the card’s registered to or to say ‘my mate’ll pick it up.’

I haven’t worked full time in a bike shop for 8 years or so but it was a ‘several times a week’ problem even then.

It may be a pain but you can’t blame them for being cautious, especially as they won’t be covered if they do get stung.

scaredypants

Classic not telling the wife you’ve got a new bike behaviour.

Indeed: new job = secret new bike !
    😆

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Ordering stuff to the office’ is closed to new replies.