Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • Orbital
  • alexandersupertramp
    Free Member

Went to watch Orbital at the Oxford O2 last night. Can’t believe much I enjoyed watching 2 men starting and mixing loops of sound together. It was ace.
    Just wanted to say.

xiphon
    Free Member

I agree – saw them in Preston (at 53 Degrees) on 7th Dec. They were awesome.

piemonster

Fond memories of Glastonbury flooding back

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    piemonster

Jesus that must be 11-13 years ago now

bencooper
    Free Member

I went to what was absolutely, definitely their last ever live performance at T in the Park – about 10 years ago 😉

rewski
    Free Member

They did one of there very first gigs at a club night I did with my bros, chime was and still is an awesome tune.

Ouch, just realised that must of been around 1990, Doves anyone?

piemonster

Doves anyone?

Snowballs?

patriotpro
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=bV-hSgL1R74[/video]

Aaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh – Never fails to de-stress me this one.

Cougar

I agree – saw them in Preston (at 53 Degrees) on 7th Dec. They were awesome.

Hey, so did I.

Not my sort of thing at all, I went cos my OH wanted to go. Credit were it’s due, whatever they’re paying their sound engineers it’s not enough.

rewski
    Free Member

OMG: just found this on Orbital forum, looks like our club night was there first gig.

Although still without name, Paul & Phil Hartnoll play live for the very first time at The Grasshopper in Westerham, a ‘Bernie Inn-style’ establishment complete with carvery and big plates, located somewhere on the Kent/Sussex border. Late as usual with names and titles, the Hartnolls elect to call themselves Orbital in celebration of the M25, that dreaded stretch of tarmac that encircles the capital and which at the time plays a central role in the Rave and Acid House scene in the South East. ‘Chime’ is recorded at home in Dunton Green near Sevenoaks on skeletal studio equipment and is mastered from cassette for release on Jazzy M’s independent Oh-Zone label. There is a buzz surrounding the track and the original one thousand 12? singles sell out immediately through word of mouth. More copies are pressed up but supply cannot satisfy demand.

jekkyl

It’s like a cry for survival, A CRY FOR SURVIVAL…. survival for them and for US!

chomp
    Free Member

i went to one of their last gigs ever as well, was in cambridge around 10 years ago 🙂

aye-aye
    Free Member

I was on the line-up along with the chubbier brother, at a festival, in a 15th century monastery, in france, on drugs, in 1997 8)

superfli
    Free Member

Snowballs?

in 1990, no way! Drugs were good ni 1990, snowballs were the death of e for me (full of Ketamine)

stevestunts
    Free Member

I’ve seen them a daft amount of times, including one of the definitely our last ever gigs, at Brixton Academy.

I managed to find myself in their dressing room at a gig in Sheffield in 1996. Very nice, friendly chaps, they gave me a beer and chatted away to me, despite the fact I was plainly gnawing my own face off. Earlier in the night I thought I’d lost my ‘supplies’, when in fact I had simply imbibed them all, so I went and found the same vendor, and bought the same again. He even gave me discount once I’d told him I’d lost the first lot 😯

Bazz

Saw them in Brighton on Tuesday, first time i’d seen them live and it was awesome.

kevin1911

If one was to start dabbling in some Orbital CDs, which ones would be best to start with?

themilo
    Free Member

One of the best vibes at a gig I’ve ever experienced. One of the lads I new from Manchester(u-ziq)was supporting them at Barrowlands in Glasgow.

I felt like a pop star; backstage and all that stuff.

Turned into a mental weekend!

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

My god that brings back memories….anyone else see them at Glasto in 1994? One of the best live music experiences of my life which admittedly is a weird thing to say from a die hard guitar fan about two bald blokes with silly glasses standing behind a computer… but it was awesome.

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

If one was to start dabbling in some Orbital CDs, which ones would be best to start with?

I’d start at the beginning with the eponymous “green” (1991) and “brown” (1993) albums.

DezB
    Free Member

The last album was (surprisingly) brilliant too.
    Saw them years back and they were much better than I expected. Fab.
    Was offered free tix to the Oxford gig, but only the day before 🙁

xiphon
    Free Member

More like a huge rack of audio equipment!

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

🙂 Well you know what I mean… it’s not really a spectator sport, but they’re great live…

binners

Remember seeing their legendary Glastonbury set, combined with some pretty serious pharmaceuticals. Happy day! 😀

Mister-P
    Free Member

I was disappointed by them at Brixton Academy. But I may have been the only non-chemically enhanced person in the gig.

Long Range at Glade (Phil Hartnoll’s side project) was a different matter entirely. I bought the album as soon as I got home.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

themilo – Member
    (u-ziq)

Expert knob-twiddler. ;o)

stanfree
    Free Member

Linky
    I saw them a week past Sunday In Edinburgh and strangely ‘Yodagoat’ has just posted up the above vid with ‘One big moment’ as the soundtrack.

I thought they were absolutely superb and like seeing the Stone Roses in the summer time actually felt like I was E’d up again . Its fairly annoying that todays kids pay loads of money to see the likes of David Guetta press play and wave his hands to really poor music.

God bless the Hartnolls.

Pauly

Saw them @ Glasto in 94 for ‘that’ gig, and saw what was supposed to be their last ever Glasto gig in 2004(?) which was great as well.

Glasto 94 will always be remembered as one of the best weeks of my life.

yodagoat
    Free Member

Seen them in Edinburgh two weeks ago. Brilliant.

Crag
    Free Member

Yeah, saw them last weekend in Sheffield. Absolutely awesome. 3rd time I’ve seen them live and everytime I’m amazed at how good they are.

zelak999
    Free Member

Also saw them at Glastonbury in 1994. Awesome.

Napalm
    Free Member

I was at Brighton on Tuesday too; it was beautiful & the use of The Carpenter’s ‘Calling Occupants..’ was sublime.

piemonster

in 1990, no way! Drugs were good ni 1990

I was 12, missing out is acceptable

minichops
    Free Member

Glasto ’94 – is it my addled memory or did the sound system cut out not long into Orbitals set? This has been bugging me for a while now!!

piemonster

Was that the NME stage year?

dan314
    Free Member

Went to see them at the O2 in Sheffield on Saturday, top show!

Last time I saw them before that was New Years Eve 1999/2000 at the Cream event at the Pier Head in Liverpool, that was a good night too!

minichops
    Free Member

piemonster – it was the ‘2nd’ stage, not the main one.
    What a weekend – only regret was I missed Johnny Cash.

piemonster

******* ****** didn’t know Johnny Cash was there at all

****, what a missed opportunity

Saw the Beastie Boys though. And I’m still glad I refused to watch Oasis.

minichops
    Free Member

Beasties! Remember they asked crowd to stop moshing so much or they’d stop playing.
    Didn’t even realise oasis were on, wasn’t interested in indie guitar in ’94. Another highlight was the brazilian samba band in the cabaret marquee – rockin. Best glasto by miles for me

jonke
    Free Member

When time becomes a loop, when time becomes a loop, When time becomes a loop (and repeat)

Soundtrack to my yoof that was.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Orbital’ is closed to new replies.