Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Orbea Loki 27+ H-ltd anyone ?
  • stevedoc
    Free Member

So ive been umming and haaaing over the past few weeks over a slack hardtail or fatty (N+1)
    An Orange Crush rs spec was my first choice of call or a Bird zero for the Hardtail , but the concept of a Fatty trail from on-one also appealed to me ,so im a little torn , until I saw this last night ..best of both worlds Orbea Loki 27+ H-ltd ,slack angles , good spec and 650b+ sizing,

All I need is a reason why my LBS wont be getting my money

thanks

doug_basqueMTB.com

I had my first ride on one last night. Really, really cool little bike. It´s really fun with the angles and bigger wheels and I was having a lot of fun on my little local loop. It´s probably the most fun bike I´ve ridden in the last few years. I´ve got the Rallon and Occam AM too and it´s not a bike like those, i.e. a tool for a job, it´s just really, really, really fun. It´s exactly the bike for me over winter, something to forget about training and guiding and going fast and all that stuff, just for getting out on and laughing and playing.

Even sitting in the garage it just looks really special with it´s fat tyres and compact frame and the forks look so beefy on it for some reason.

Have you tried the 27+? I´m asking because they´re not that grippy in the mud. It´s something I´m really liking because they give a really stable, predictable slide but if you´re thinking that you will just be railing around with lots of grip on mud then it´s not that. They are probably grippiest in hardback or over roots etc. I´ve had no problems either but for aggressive riders in sharp rocks I´ve heard that the tyre sidewalls aren´t that strong yet. Just something to consider, for me it´s not going to be an issue given how I plan to ride this bike, i.e. having fun!

Anyway, it´s obviously early days in me and the Loki´s relationship but I can´t think of any reason why you shouldn´t buy one. Next thing I´m buying for mine is frame bags for a big backpacking adventure!

mccraque

Doug – do your heels bash the chainstays? The only review that I’ve read (other than yours) is that the tester kept smacking his heels on the flared “boosted”chainstays.

Maybe he was just pigeon toed!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    barney
    Free Member

First ride thingy from last year here: http://singletrackworld.com/2015/07/2016-orbea-the-loki/

I don’t recall heel rub on the Loki overly (and I don’t mention it)… although it can certainly be an issue on some boosted frames.

I agree with Doug though – chubbies aren’t that super grippy, but you get scads of really predictable drift. in the dry the traction is amazing. Look out for all that to change though as new chubby tyres come out.

stevedoc
    Free Member

Doug that’s just what I wanted to hear FUN ! I have my five for honing about (sorry filing cabinet ) I just want something to have a laugh on and as I’m 40+ a the idea of a less harsh rear end ride that a stiff hardtail gives agrees with me , Ive not seen a weight chart yet is it heavy and which model did you go for 🙂
    cheers

doug_basqueMTB.com

mccraque, all boosted frames have more heel rub but it´s not an issue on any of the bikes i´ve tested so far. It´s something I´ve noticed but not had to do anything about. My guide, Antonio, has big feet and has put a bit of protective tape on his Rallon for heel rub. It´s really a Boost question and for me it´s a benefits:hassles ratio, for example I never give heel rub a passing thought as I´m cycling through claggy mud with my miles of mud clearance!

Good write up Barney. I wish I could have been there to guide you guys but last minute press launches and a busy season meant that it wasn´t possible for me. I know the trails you rode well and I think that the Loki would be a lot of fun there.

OP It´s not heavy. That´s all I can say because I went to get my scales out and found the battery had exploded in them. I will try and get that sorted next week and post up a weight. In the heft test it weighs less than my 31lbs Rallon and more than my 24lbs OccamAM. Sorry, not much info there then!!

scotroutes

FWIW, I get heel rub on non-Boost frames too, but that’s because I pedal like a duck 🙂

doug_basqueMTB.com

Sorry, two posts rather than fiddle with the EDIT button.

Fun is what it is. I have going fast / being efficient sown up with the Rallon and the OccamAM. I don´t need another bike for that. The Loki is just about fun and messing about and being stupid. I was laughing out loud yesterday riding it. It´s the perfect bike for little adventures I think.

v666ern
    Free Member

Just to add some water to your bonfire for the orbea, the OO fatty trail is 25% off down to £900 with an pxliquid25 code

sorry #unhelpful

roverpig

I agree with Doug though – chubbies aren’t that super grippy

There is quite a bit of difference in the different chubby options now though. I switched from WTB Trailblazer 2.8 to Nobby Nic 2.8 (Pacestar rear and Trailstar front) and the increased grip in greasy/muddy conditions is very noticeable (and very welcome at the moment).

doug_basqueMTB.com

I weighed mine, 27.5lbs more or less. Matches what I feel, ie between my occam and Rallon!

Great ride today on the stormy coast, will post pics later.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Orbea Loki 27+ H-ltd anyone ?’ is closed to new replies.