Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Orange/T-Mobile/EE data signal problems – anyone else?
  • robdob
    Free Member

Hi all!

I have a iPhone5 with Orange. Over the last 2 months (might be a bit longer) I’ve struggled to download data. Even with a full 3G signal I struggle to surf the web, send iMessages, anything that uses data really. Only if I am way out of the 8am-7pm time period can I get anything approaching a decent service. I know it’s not the phone as data download is fine late at night.

I’ve had a quick Google and there isn’t any talk on the internet which relates specifically to my issue but I have friends who are experiencing the same issues so I know I’m not alone.

I am going to call them up as it isn’t really very good service – I pay £40 a month for unlimited data and I’m struggling to get any use of it at all now.

Ta!

toby1

The irony of “Everything Everywhere” gets me – at home I have no internet and no phone signal at work I have a little – if I head across the village to the gym I’m back to none.

It is a cheap contract, but cheap because it’s sh*t!

craigxxl
    Free Member

I had problems with the 3G network on T-Mobile for best part of this year. From the same locations I could get great performance from the 4G ipad. This was confirmed in my Ookla Speedtest history in that it had basically halved in speeds.
    Various reports of 3G been sacrificed for 4G in a bid to make customers move etc
    Guardian article

Flaperon

Yep, me too. I tethered my laptop to it and visiting Speedtest.net showed some wacky results. Speeds – when it worked – were consistent, but pings to some servers were taking 2-3 seconds which explained why general web browsing was so slow.

Weirdly, others were fine. I have only a month to go and I’m defecting to Three. EE seems to be in direct competition with EDF to be the most unpleasant company to deal with.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Totally rubbish but its not new. 18 months ago I got a 3 wifi dongle and it’s performance it much much better than iPhone on EE/T-mobile. The EE network is saturated. I switched to 3 for the phone last month when my 2yr lock-in expired. When I get a 4G phone in 4 weeks I will get that for free with 3.

firestarter
    Free Member

Rubbish on orange. As soon as this contracts up im going sim only monthly. Im sure its done on purpose to move people to the more expensive tariffs.
    (And when i say I’m sure i used to plan networks for orange)

mrjmt
    Free Member

Same for me on Orange, phone says signal is good, 3G or H but browser just sits ticking over.

Did think it may have been a DNS issue but can’t figure out how to change to a different DNS (I’m on Android) or whether you even can?

Oh, and I was over in Belfast this week, same issue over there if thats relevant?

Bimbler
    Free Member

Same here on Virgin, it’s been mixed at best. Going to move to 3

robdob
    Free Member

After a bit more googling I’ve found that I may have my phone settings wrong. I turned off 4G (which I don’t pay for) – apparantely if you have it on your phone won’t use the Edge service at all and maybe thats why I’ve been struggling with my iMessages. Seems to be ok ok websites now too, although not as good as it used to be.

I would go for 3 but my wife got a sim only from them for her iphone and there is no signal in our house with them. Not even enough to send a text message.

mrjmt
    Free Member

Pretty sure Edge is just GPRS isn’t it? If your phone is showing 3G service it won’t be on Edge anyway, it’ll only drop down to that when it can’t get 3G coverage.

Dont think that setting will be wrong on my phone, it doesn’t do 4G!

notmyrealname
    Free Member

Exactly the same here on Orange over the past couple of months or so, It’s virtually unusable most of the time.

I have, however had no shortage of letters, texts and email offering me ‘deals’ on a new 4G contract 🙄

My contract runs out in 2 months or so and I’ll be binning Orange and not going back to them at all.

Bimbler
    Free Member

I just tried to get my PAC code from Virgin (they use EE network) , lady convinced me to talk to technical and see if there was anything they could do to help – amazingly they could and it has or it did anyway for a while. The first time I speed tested after he did whatever he did and I rebooted phone I hit 12 Mbps which is good for 3g and certainly better than the 0.8 and 1.19 Mbps I had this morning and faster than 3 where I live (I got a PAYG 3 SIM just to check their service out).

However speed has since dropped to about 5-7 Mbps and pings are in the 900’s compared to 30-50 for 3 :sigh:

bruneep

Just in process of moving from VF to EE. On VF lucky to get 1meg on EE constantly getting plus 15meg best is 25meg overall happy so far.

Had to call EE CS and maybe as it’s a business account the service has been good.

paulmgreen
    Free Member

The last few months on 3G on EE I regularly have no data ! Annoyingly 9 months to go on contract

pnik

15 months for me, maybe I should stop blaming the handset. Ive been with them for years but the service seems to have got worse since the tie up with orange and I guess 4g launch that followed. The Samsung loses the signal and sometimes needs a reboot for data to work again. Really frustrating.

mega
    Free Member

People having problems. Is it coverage on the handset I.e radio? Or do you have good coverage but experience problems with data?

mrjmt
    Free Member

Good coverage but no apparent bandwidth for data.

noltae
    Free Member

Yep 3g totally sucks on Orange right now – and to add insult to injury when I tried to negotiate a £5 discount on my Bill which is the cost of my data package they refused on the premise that ‘it’s happening across the network not just to you ” Fail to see the relavance myself.. All I know is that as an Orange customer of 15,years things are a lot worse under EE – maybe they should keep back some of their Advertising budget they waste on bloody stupid campaigns featuring Kevin ‘ugly bugger’ Bacon and sink it in to a more reliable service !

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Orange/T-Mobile/EE data signal problems – anyone else?’ is closed to new replies.