Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Orange Sub Zero any thoughts/ opinions
  • tricky-dicky
    Free Member

Looked at one of these recently but don’t know much about them , any owners on here with an opinion?
    Thanks
    Richard

rhid

I had one a fair few years ago and it was great. It was my only bike and rode everything on it. It was very tough and a bit harsh but I don’t seem to remember caring to much about that!

mindmap3
    Free Member

I had an early one (2005) which I really liked. At the time it was one of the few hardtails happy running long travel forks. I thought it rode pretty well and didn’t feel as harsh as the Chameleon that replaced it when it cracked.

I’ve not much experience of the newer ones but recall them getting good reviews.

tricky-dicky
    Free Member

Been offered a complete 2005 model with Manitou Shermans a decent group & wheelset for <£200 I think its worth buying for a bit of a play bike?

rhid

That like a good deal! I think mine was the first version of the frame so 2004-2005 would be about right. I remember it being lots of fun.

stumpyjumper
    Free Member

I had one of these for a couple of years when I couldn’t afford a bouncer. 3 things will come to mind when you first ride it.
    1. It’s quite heavy and hugely stiff
    2. Its a load of fun
    3. Why do you need a full sus?
    It did every thing I wanted it to and I took it places where I wouldn’t normally venture on a HT. Stick some big forks on it and hide behind them. Lots of fun, no pivots, bushings or shocks to worry about. It can get a bit labourious on big days out and it climbs like a dog (as you would expect) but stick it at something rough and it scampers off like a border collie

I only stopped riding it cos I’m getting too old and it was knackering my back on long days out.

Get one you won’t regret it

somouk
    Free Member

A pal had one as a trials bike setup, great bits of kit.

tricky-dicky
    Free Member

Thanks all, decision made.
    Richard

mindmap3
    Free Member

I’d lose the forks though – the SPV Shermans of that era are awful things. The TPC versions much better.

That is a cracking deal for the whole bike – I sold my cracked frame on eBay for £250 in 2007!

wl
    Free Member

Brilliant fun. I’ve had two and ridden them as my main bike up until around 18 months ago, when I switched to a Five. Guided in the Alps on the first one I had. They’re not particularly light, but with a 160mm fork the geometry is sorted for anything from xc rides through to steep, techy stuff, rock gardens and long Alpine singletrack. That deal you’ve been offered is crazy cheap. Defo stick a biggish tyre (or a dual-ply) on the back so you can run the rear without too much air.

tricky-dicky
    Free Member

Its got a 1 .5 inch headtube so does that mean Ican run either a taperered or straight steerer fork too?

rhid

Yes it does.

wl
    Free Member

I wouldn’t go more than 160mm on your forks. Tried mine once with 170mm Shermans and it’s just too weird, the travel imbalance. Used mine with 36s and then 55s – both worked well. With a 1.5 you could always slacken off with an angleset if you want to.

tricky-dicky
    Free Member

Thanks all, thought about some 160’s- vans or 55R were on my list.
    Lots of flexibility with the bigger head tube, nice.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Orange Sub Zero any thoughts/ opinions’ is closed to new replies.