Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • orange sub 5, any good
  • will082
    Free Member

Just bought a sub 5 frame in good condition, just needs a tidy up. Only paid 100 which I think was fair considering its an older frame. Just wanted to know if its worth me spending my time building it up or not?

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I had one years back.

They are designed around an 80mm fork but 100 is ok. Anything more and it handles like a boat.

I loved my sub 5. Even got it resprayed by Orange fron the white frame / blue swing arm colour to metallic grey ( the colour Orange were spraying with that particular week)

What shock is on it?

TimP
    Free Member

I ran my y2000 frame with 120mm forks and a crank bros headset to reduce the stack height. If you call Orange with the frame no they can tell you how old it is and the max fork length. The reasons mine is hung in the shed is that I could have done with an 18″ rather than the 16″ I got and the12 yo shock was very bouncy. It would have been much better with a platform shock.
    Loved it but ultimately too small

joeegg
    Free Member

problem with the Sub 5 and Sub 3 was that the pivot point was too high.
    Produces really bad kickback climbing on anything that is a bit rough.If its got a shock that will lock then that will help.Wouldn’t go overboard money wise on a build though.

teddy
    Free Member

Im running a 145 mm nixon bolt through fork on mine, handles fine. Mines a 2003 model.
    Dont believe the hype on geometry, its just a bike.
    I have a 3 way manitou shock which helps the bobbing on the climbs.
    Build it up with a good fork and cheap bits.

will082
    Free Member

currently ive got boxxers which i took off my old frame and i was going to put those on, i have most of the gear needed 2 build up already but really wanted 2 see if its any good really. and also how the bloody hell do u get the brake pipes etc through the frame, ive had a go but cant seem 2 do it.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘orange sub 5, any good’ is closed to new replies.