Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • Orange Stage 5 hard going
  • mahalo

I have a stage 5 too, but I hate climbing and don’t care where I am in the pack, I just sit and spin up to the top but can’t say it’s any better or worse than any other bike? In fairness rode Macc forest this weekend which has a number of pretty steep climbs and they were fine.

But, I know it’s a cliche, it’s just so much fun on the downs!! Really quick and assured, poppy and playful too, and that’s all I care about really.

I am on the debonair shock, which was improved massively when I stuck 4 bands in! added a Luftkappe to my pikes too which is amazing.

jonundercover
    Free Member

I’ve never seen anyone go fast uphill on and orange. It always looks like hell.

gasgasser
    Free Member

Thanks for replies

Last question i’m 5-10 and deciding whether to go M or L frame size. Seem to be just on the boundary between the two

Any thoughts from current owners?

sl80
    Free Member

I’m possibly a fraction taller at 179/180cm and the large I had a demo on felt spot on.

benman
    Free Member

I’m 5’11” and riding a large. Running a 150mm dropper, and could probably fit a 170mm one in, so I think at 5’10 you would be fine.

Best climbing full suss I’ve owned!

gasgasser
    Free Member

Looks like L it is then!

I know i said last quesion before but…..

Any other thoughts on sizing or stuff to look for from other owners?

It’ll be first 29er i’ve owned but ready to give it a go i reckon

benman
    Free Member

Only thing I would say is that I’ve had to add volume reducers to the shock on both Oranges I’ve owned (and I’m only 70ish kg). So worth bearing in mind if you find yourself blowing through the travel.

roverpig

So the OP found climbing hard work on the Stage Five, jonundercover reckons all Oranges are crap at climbing but benman reckons the Stage Five is the “best climbing full suss” he’s owned. That’s cleared that up then 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

Compared to Friday where I could hardly ride

You might just’ve been poorly. I’ve been slightly ill for a week or so – not snivelling or coughing but when I try to pedal hard I just get tired. And I couldn’t run hardly at all last week. Something to consider.

chakaping
    Free Member

Only had a very quick go on one but it felt quite perky uphill.

brakeforcake
    Free Member

Thanks for replies

Last question i’m 5-10 and deciding whether to go M or L frame size. Seem to be just on the boundary between the two

Any thoughts from current owners?

I’m 5’10” and ride a size Large Stage 5. There’s loads of standover. I’m running a KS LEV dropper with 125 mm travel which I have to run a fair way out of the frame to get proper seated position when climbing. I will be upgrading it to a 150 mm travel dropper. The size Medium frame felt far too small for me.

chakaping
    Free Member

On the sizing issue, I am under 5ft 8in and the medium felt too small for me. So I reckon large for you at 5ft 10in.

wl
    Free Member

I’m 5′ 10″ and always ride medium Oranges – Patriots, Fives, Alpines, P7. I demoed a medium Stage 5 and it felt great size-wise and was a bloody good bike (though I ended up buying a new Five, which suited my priorities slightly better). I could ride a large but prefer the smaller frames, especially now they’re all a bit longer anyway. Good for very tight, techy stuff too, tho probably not quite so stable on fast straights. Six of one, half a dozen of the other.

jonundercover – I know plenty of Orange riders who fly up hills – long ones, steep ones, techy ones. It’s not the bikes.

mtbrog
    Free Member

My sons just bought a Stage 5, it hasn’t slowed him going uphill!

chakaping
    Free Member

My 2012 Patriot was an awesome climber with a CCDB coil and no platform switch. I loved that bike.

bungalistic
    Free Member

On the sizing issue, I am under 5ft 8in and the medium felt too small for me. So I reckon large for you at 5ft 10in.

That’s because you have weird ape arms. 5’8″ here and medium felt fine.

chakaping
    Free Member

Fair point (it’s more my stumpy legs), but the fella’s 5ft 10in.

mahalo

slight hijack, but quick un for you… would you ride your Stage 5 at Revolution BP?

Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘Orange Stage 5 hard going’ is closed to new replies.