Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • Orange ST4 Pics and view
  • matt_outandabout

As promised, some better pics of my ST4. Seems the sun today on white paint = ‘halo’ effect though….

Impressions after a few short rides and one longer one = WHOOOOOOOSH!

This bike climbs very well, and (i know its a cliche) but a gear or two faster than others. On wide landrover tracks its just sit n pedal – on rougher bits (like Houndkirk tonight) it just flies up stuff.
    Downhill is great as well – speed, speed, speed – again on easy but rough tracks like Houndkirk it just seems to have more than 110mm of travel – it feels like a short travel bike, until you jump or hit something really hard and it seems to have a reserve of travel somewhere. On the Plantation it was great – certainly didn’t feel short of travel on the bigger bumps and steps. It sits up high in its travel – not much sag – reacts to small bumps well but you can tell its not dropping into bumps like a longer travel bike.
    On steeper stuff DH you can feel the low BB – it turns brilliantly, and feels low. Not clipped a pedal yet. I preferred my 29er on really steep rocky / stepped bits – I think the big wheels are ace on steep steps/rocks!
    The rear is a bit flexy when really pushed I think – especially shown up by the brilliantly directional F-120 QR15’s – steering compared to my Reba 29’s is staggeringly good – a couple of time I waited for the bike to twist onto a line, and it just carried on where the bars were pointing…
    The mountain kins I am not sure of – they seem to slide/wash out a bit and seem bouncy on rocks. 😐
    The juicy 3’s have a really bad ‘grabby’ spot on the front disc – I tried some cleaner today and it didn’t do anything. Its so bad at slow speed you can feel the bike pitch back and forth as it grabs – and slides you around off-road…the rear is low on power as well 😐
    I reckon with some new tyres, and the brakes sorted it will be fabulous. To be ‘perfect’ a maxle rear would be great 8)
    Summary – did I say WHOOOOSH? Great on wide open, rocky stuff – I think it will be fabulous on somewhere like Corrieyairack / big hill stuff / big days out – without being wallowy.

New bike arrives

epo-aholic
    Free Member

nice!

how many sheckles was that?

matt_outandabout

Insurance replacement 🙂

racing_ralph
    Free Member

nice that!

clareymorris

Looks very “relaxed” (or is it just my wide screen monitor?!)

Nice by the way 🙂

matt_outandabout

It seems to be similar head angle to a ‘5’, with steeper seat angle.

nukeproof
    Free Member

That does look very nice <wanders off to the Orange website>

philly5
    Free Member

I agree with the mk tyres, mine had to go on my 5….
    have you ridden a 5 and if so how does it compare?
    looks very nice if a bit whoooooshy for me 😀

MrNutt
    Free Member

very lovely bike that, looks cracking in white too.

matt_outandabout

Ridden 5, and owned a Sub5 for 7 years….

Compared to both it climbs better, feels faster and lighter – and I don’t notice the 20mm less travel. Also a bit nippier. I bet on really big rocky stuff I may notice the 20mm – but thats only a few percent of most of my rides…Climbing is way different in granny – that ‘pull the wheel under’ feel that I liked on the Sub5, but stalled you at times on step ups etc is gone – its much more active on techy climbs.

the_lecht_rocks

HV can on the RP23 – what weight are you ?

matt_outandabout

14st 😳

the_lecht_rocks

mmmmmmmm…i was under the impression that the LV can would suit people in excess of 80kg.
    however, i’m also aware that there seems to be limited choice in selecting the LV can in certain sizes…….

i could be wrong of course……

gingerblipp
    Free Member

*high 5s 14 stone buddy*

nice bike that matt

hope it takes the pain away a little

shinsplints

Is this Orange trying to emulate/compete with the Trance ????

*************hides**************

It’s v nice though,must say.

matt_outandabout

I didn’t know there were different sized cans…

druidh
    Free Member

shinsplints – Member

Is this Orange trying to emulate/compete with the Trance ????

Trance? Try the Meta

shinsplints

@druidh – do apolgise… 😳
    That linkage is very Commie esque though on second look.

matt_outandabout

Just been reading the STW ST4 vs Meta review – all sounds familiar!

AndyPaice
    Free Member

does look nice, and if it’s as capable as a five then could be very fun

Nick

I think you should send it back, you obviously aren’t impressed and don’t like it.

matt_outandabout

😆

enfht
    Free Member

Why do Orange always use those crappy seatpost clamps. I wonder if the angle you clamp yours at will be more successful than mine was

djglover
    Free Member

do the rear tyres rub on the frame, I heard that is an issue?

matt_outandabout

not noticed it…

boxelder

Is that a bell?
    🙄

KINGTUT
    Free Member

14st [:oops:]

Why be embarrassed? I far as I recall you are 6’2″ + are you not?

matt_outandabout

Is that a bell?

They are surprisingly useful in our busy Peak area…loads of walkers – and I got fed up of the ‘why don’t you have a bell?’ comments – so the bell stays.

bomberman
    Free Member

Uber. could always stiffen up the rear with a DT RWS if needed? any idea how much it weighs?

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

So anyone want to sell me a 2nd hand frame?
    please?
    Its a lot of notes for the frame only 🙁

poppa
    Free Member

Is it just me, or is that saddle really far back, like over the middle of the rear wheel?

matt_outandabout

The saddle is far back on the rails – I was borderline between 18″ and 20″ – having had a sit on both sizes of a ‘5’ I plumped for the smaller.

poppa
    Free Member

Fair enough, manual-tastic!

loughor
    Free Member

Beautiful… congrats

thepodge
    Free Member

i wish i had some cash and my old bike suddenly broke, i proper like that

knott4me
    Free Member

i love this bike but even orange told me there not happy with the flexy back end.put me off.

will
    Free Member

Mmmm White. Looks a thing of beauty!

stumpy01

Oh man….that looks well nice…..

When I finally (if ever) get round to replacing my bike, my list of possibles is getting even longer….

Stumjumper FSR (because mine has been so good, I have to consider a new one)
    Zesty
    Orange ST4
    Trek (can’t remember the name – white, gold and black, now brown & white, I think)

I think a road bike of some description will have to come first – possible a Spesh CX – Tricross or whatever they are called.

thepodge
    Free Member

i love this bike but even orange told me there not happy with the flexy back end.put me off.

they already do a maxle back end for the 5, why not this? in fact why aren’t more people doing big axle back ends?

dalesboyz
    Free Member

you choosen the best colour and i cannt wait to get 1 (so a long wait) 😕

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Orange ST4 Pics and view’ is closed to new replies.