Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Orange ST4 cable routing question
  • Surfr
    Free Member

Can anyone with a 2008 vintage Orange ST4 explain the rear cable routing for the rear derailleur? The boss on the lower stay of the swingarm by the derailleur is an open type (full cable and outer both ends) but the one near the BB is closed (i.e. it goes from outer + cable to inner only). I could miss out the one near the BB and run outer and inner from the bottom of the downtube right to the mech if I cable tied it but I'm wondering how it *should* be.

mattstreet

Surfr – I think you're right.

Derailleur with outer -> inner cable only running just under the chainstay (just beneath the "orangebikes.co.uk" transfer) -> goes into an outer round the BB -> inner-only under the downtube -> up to the final bit of outer routing up to the shifter.

90% certain this is the case and would check if mine wasn't in the shop until the weekend. Will run Gore cables on it next time they need changing too – I think there's been reports of false shifting if the outer under the BB is too short, so take care with that.

Surfr
    Free Member

So I may have an incorrect braze on on my swingarm. Will email orange tomorrow for advice.

Surfr
    Free Member

Here's a couple of photos to show the problem:

Correct 'closed' type guide at the chainset end of the stay:

Incorrect? 'open' type guide at derailleur end of stay:

Gear cable laced through guide to show it is open:

Off to enquire at Orange now.

Surfr
    Free Member

And here's a couple shots of other 2008 ST4s I've found on the web:

cp

it does look like the wrong one has been put at the rear of the chainstay. You can get inserts to go in to make it a 'closed' one (I made one once out of a presta valve cap with cable-sized hole drilled in the end).

I_Ache
    Free Member

I would guess you should get new chainstays for that if you send those pics to orange.

matt_outandabout

Mine are zip tie guides for both…so mine id full length outers. (09 ST4)

simonm
    Free Member

Defo wrong on yours Surf, my 08 ST4 is as the white pic above…. If your lucky Orange may give you a new 2010 rear end 😀

Surfr
    Free Member

Orange spotted it as an error right away and have organised to pick up the frame and return it with a 2010 rear end with the improved stays and new cable mounts 😀

Nice work Orange!

simonm
    Free Member

COOL ! thats nice, intresting to know that the 2010 rear end fits on 2008 front ends… wonder what they charge for a new rear ?

Surfr
    Free Member

Well I presume it does as that's what they've offered but if it doesn't, maybe I'll end up with a complete 2010 bike! I'll report back here eitherway.

Surfr
    Free Member

Just found this thread and thought I'd give it closure. Orange took the frame back the following day and replaced the rear stays with 2010 models which has effectively upgraded my 2008 frame with 2010 shock to a full 2010 spec bike 😀 Fantastic service from Orange, although I had to wait a couple of weeks for Chrome Grey to go through the paint process. It was through wet November so I wasn't that fussed anyway.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Orange ST4 cable routing question’ is closed to new replies.