• This topic has 32 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by Mof.
Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Orange RX9 CX bike.
  • Bazz

Have this been done yet?

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/article/orange-rx9-first-look-36284/

Doesn’t look to bad, although a grand for a Tiagra equipped bike is quite steep but to be expected from Orange though.

2orangey4crows

I was going to post about this, but then couldn’t be bothered. Since you’ve started a thread though I’ll say what I was going to…

NO NO NO NO NO! I think it’s tragic that manufacturers like Orange will make a bike like this, but stop making a bike like the P7.

Maybe I’m out of touch, but with the gopping Gyro and now this, I’m really disappointed.

shortcut

How is the Gyro Gopping?

I reckon this crosser is quite nice.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

They should just stick to making filing cabinets Fives.. 😕

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Everyone else is jumping on the bandwagon, why not Orange? They’re there to make money so if oddballs like riding road bikes around fields and want to spend a grand on a road bike with knobbly tyres, why can’t Orange tap into that market?

2orangey4crows

Sorry, I take that back about the Gyro. I meant the Clockwork – an insult to the Clockwork legacy.

ads678

Or moving it forward…..

timc
    Free Member

2orangey4crows – Member
    I meant the Clockwork – an insult to the Clockwork legacy.

Ridden one? 🙄

Kamakazie

£1k for a CX with Tiagra is pretty standard when you look at those with discs.
    The BB5 spec is a bit of a joke, but other than that is is par for the course.
    Trek are selling a Sora CX style bike for £950 after all.

The only makes I can find speccing 105 & discs for under £1k are Pinnacle & Merida.
    If anyone else has seen an Alu CX with dsics & 105 for under £1k please let me know as I’m looking for one at the moment. Rack & guard mounts also required (discounts the Merida unfortunately).

MrSmith
    Free Member

That is one hideous bike.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Fair play to em. They might not be the best cross bike in the world, but the doe eyed orange fans (timc?) will be first in line if they want a cross bike. I’ve never really understood why – other, better bikes are available.

The road bikes were a prime example – absolute shockers, but they all sold out (I believe)

Its a shame, it sort of ruins the brand a bit. They’re good at making solid, single pivot sus bikes. But then all their other bikes just look like catalogue frames that havent been “designed” at all.

tang
    Free Member

Rose bikes about a grand with all your requirements.

2orangey4crows

timc – I don’t care how it rides, it looks terrible. A bike has to balance performance and aesthetics.

colin27
    Free Member

It’s £200 cheaper than a similarly spec’d Spesh Tricross, I would say that’s pretty good value. Any brand has to move forward, and you can’t get away from the fact that road and cross are growing markets. This RX9 looks more utilitarian than proper cross, which should make it a success. Good on Orange trying to move their brand forward and not be stuck in the past – there are only so many Five’s they can sell after all!

hodge

I’ve seen this bike at the London Show and it did look good indeed!

finbar
    Free Member

At least it’s alu. Makes more sense than Cotic’s effort at a cross bike.

timc
    Free Member

2orangey4crows – Member
    I don’t care how it rides, it looks terrible.

2orangey4crows – Member
    A bike has to balance performance and aesthetics.

😯

timc
    Free Member

davidtaylforth – Member
    orange fans (timc?)

I am an Orange fan, but im not bias (some may disagree), I dont like the look of that cyclo cross bike above for example.

I had steel C16r’s & P7’s in the 90’s & loved them & get peoples love for the iconic steel bikes, but I don’t get being hung up on the fact they have switched over to aluminium & used modern building techniques to bring a ‘Clockwork brand’ upto date for 2013. The fact it’s not steel doesnt mean its a bad bike & does it really look any worse than most Aluminium 29ers?

roverpig

If selling a few generic Taiwanese frames with an Orange headtube badge on helps to keep the company afloat and building Fives etc in the UK that’s fine by me. Actually quite like the look of it too.

righog
    Free Member

I am not sure how Orange are set up with bike designers, but if it was your job I am sure you would want a to design all different types of bike ?

Also I am sure the other people who work at Orange would want access to all different types of bike so why not have a go.

Not sure I would buy one though. (Happy Five Owner)

2orangey4crows

I’m an Orange fan too. And I am biased. I ride one, I love it.

I’m happy to hold my hands up and say maybe I’m just uncomfortable with the changing market (29ers, 650b etc.,)

But of course a bike has to look good as well as ride well. I really don’t see what’s wrong with that statement.

Kamakazie

Tang, I can only find them for £1100. Where can I get a rise for under £1k as that is the absolute maximum?

timc
    Free Member

2orangey4crows – Member
    But of course a bike has to look good as well as ride well. I really don’t see what’s wrong with that statement.

Nothing wrong with that statement if it doesn’t follow this one

2orangey4crows – Member
    I don’t care how it rides

2orangey4crows

But that’s my point – I really don’t care about how a bike might ride if I’m never going to get on it/give it a chance because it makes my eyes bleed.

Of course, I accept beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that, but generally I’ve always liked Orange bikes so it feels like a design departure for them.

FuzzyWuzzy

The Gyro is gopping though…

ElShalimo

I think it looks nice
    The real test of your commitment to Aesthetics is would you ride it if you were given it.

tang
    Free Member

Kamakazie – contact rose they will build you a bike to your budget. This one is 1044 with a great build. They will tweak it to meet your budget.
    http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/rose-pro-dx-cross-2000-4636-611961/aid:612079?forcedefaulttemplate=true

creaser
    Free Member

I had a go on one outside the orange factory up and down the road, really liked it, think ill be having one

MrSmith
    Free Member

It’s probably just another revenue stream to bump the books up a bit before selling the business, that and not investing in development of the bikes while sales can still hold up with the help of the doe-eyed U.K. fanboy market.

trickydisco
    Free Member

Urrghh!. gopping!

looks very cheap

ivantate
    Free Member

Looks good enough to me.

Not sure if it would keep up with my Roadrat on the rough but likely to be quicker on the road.

It is selling out after all the guff I have heard over the years from guys on Orange stands but the business has to survive. I bet most 5 and alpine ownrs have other bikes so why not sell them one.

Kamakazie

Thanks Tang.
    I’ll look into it.

Any suppliers over here or is it all direct?

Mof
    Free Member

I like it… I even had one of those “I want one moments”. Have been contemplating a CX bike for ages, something to replace my Specialized Globe San Francisco commuter. Wanting something faster and more versatile. I was focusing on the Genesis Day One Alfine 8 and the Cotic Road Rat, but now I’m just confused. The hub gears just work better for commuting but I could be tempted to take a step back in time and go for one of those old fashioned swingey derailleur thingies.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Orange RX9 CX bike.’ is closed to new replies.