Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Orange R8 owners / bike mechanics , a few questions for you
  • jonny-m
    Free Member

Hi there,
    building up an r8 from scratch and have a few questions for you

1. What size seat clamp do I need?
    2. What type of front mech do I need?
    3. How many spacers to use on a HT 2 bottom bracket and which side do they go on?

Thanks in advance

mtbfix

Oranges FAQ sheet on their website will be your friend.

1. 29.8
    2. 28.6, most Shimano mechs cover all cable pull variations
    3. Spacers tend to go on the r/h side but will vary according to your preferred chainline

jonny-m
    Free Member

Cheers, 29.8? For a seat clamp? Can’t seem to find any in that size
    What do you mean “preferred chainline”

paulos
    Free Member

[/url][/img]

Here are the sizes of my R8 parts, (R8 Pro)

1) Seat clamp 30.0 mm
    2) Top swing
    3) I have 2 Spacers on the drive side and 1 on the non drive,Currently running an SLX tripe set.

Hope you get it up and running soon its an awsome bike im really happy i bought one, lovely ride. Hope this helps, any more info give us a shout.

jonny-m
    Free Member

Thanks, can’t wait to get it built, probably be a few months yet,
    so just to confirm seatpost is 27.2 and clamp is 30.0? And the front Mech clamps are multiple fit but it needs to be top swing?

paulos
    Free Member

Im using an SLX front mech at the minute, just the job!, Yes i have an orange stalk seat post at 27.2mm, the front mech should have shims with it to fit various sizes,i think with the seat clamp being 30mm you should need the 30mm shim.

nmdbase
    Free Member

28.6 front mech, two spacers drive, one non drive, 29.8 clamp, 27.2 seatpost.

jonny-m
    Free Member

Thanks, thats cleared it up but Any idea Who makes a 29.8 clamp?

colande
    Free Member

google is your friend,
    azonic do one

nmdbase
    Free Member
    Skyline-GTR
    Free Member

A clamp marked as 30.0mm will most likely be a 29.8mm rounded up.
    Salsa make some of the best clamps on the market, they round up the size in this manner.

It’ll have a 68mm BB shell which means your SLX chainset will need 2 spacers on the drive, and 1 on the non drive side.

And they use a topswing front mech to clear the bottle cage mounts on the seattube. The multifit mounts have 28.6, 31.8 and shimless run 34.9mm. So the 28.6 is the closest fit that’ll work. IME you may need to use only 1 shim on the mech for a perfect fit.

colande
    Free Member

look on crc
    thomson do one aswell

nmdbase
    Free Member
    nmdbase
    Free Member

So the 28.6 is the closest fit that’ll work

front mech size is 28.6

boxelder

Seat clamp has to be hope on an Orange HT. It’s a by-law. 30mm is fine.
    As stated, bottom pull techs will foul the bottle cage.

jonny-m
    Free Member

My thoughts entirely hope and orange = bread and butter

mikeclarke
    Free Member

just brought one of these frames and the above is great help however iv a question…. im running an old square tappered xt chainset i know i need a 68mm bb however what lenght do i need?? there seem to be a few sizes ie. 110mm 113mm 122mm etc?? If anyone knows id be greatfull thanks – cant wait to get it built up!!

coatesy
    Free Member

Running a 107mm on mine, however newer mechs may require a wider chainline before they’ll shift down to granny, 110mm will probably do it fine.

mikeclarke
    Free Member

Many thanks coatesty, so anyone know if I can still get sq tapper UN73 can only find 54 now??

coatesy
    Free Member

Pretty much old stock only now, i’m one of those lucky souls with Royce BB’s in my bikes, been faultless for years.

mikeclarke
    Free Member

weel mine is now built and i can say for sure ill be using this more than my yeti 575 – r8 is an awesome ride i love it, infact cant keep of it!!!

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Orange R8 owners / bike mechanics , a few questions for you’ is closed to new replies.