Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Orange R8 – an appreciation thread
  • tobyho
    Free Member

I have got a 2010 Orange R8 and I love it.

Does anyone else have an R8 and love it too ?

cynic-al
    Free Member

I don’t have one.

organic355
    Free Member

I love mine:

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Keep it at the dealer, do you?

robinbetts
    Free Member

I’m sure that picture has been used before for the same joke!

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Was it funny then?

speaker2animals

Certainly look nice. If I had one I’m sure I’d be BIGGINg it up on here.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Well they’re popular aren’t they 😆

Northwind

Still want to know what the frame weighs. Orange wouldn’t tell me 😆 Which I’m interpreting as “Not only more expensive than a Soul, and less capable than a Soul, but also heavier than a Soul”. But maybe that’s just me being cynical 😉

steve_b77
    Free Member

i thought they were for 100m forks so defo less capable than a Soul, no?

Northwind

Well, that’s what I said isn’t it? 🙂 They do go up to 120mm though.

Waderider
    Free Member

I bought a R8 frame this spring, and built it up with a set of DT Swiss XMC130’s, XT and Hope kit. Goes like stink, especially with a fit person like moi on board 8). I’ve taken it to Glen Tress a few times to tan the hoi-polloi, but it’s natural home is in the highlands where it is now my main ‘mountain’ mountain bike.

Personally I don’t care what the frame weighs. I’ve always had at least one Orange (currently have three). It is a bit overpriced though.

EccentricEllis

p7 all the way!!

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I like the look of it but can’t afford or justify one. It’s a niche bike for folks that want steel, preferably 853, don’t want or need long forks and don’t mind if it isn’t lightweight. It is probably the right kind of bike for most of the riding most of us do but not fashionable. Some will buy it because of the stickers on it(853 and Orange). Bet it is more than capable of doing what it’s meant for, like the P7, 5 etc.

ratherbeintobago

i thought they were for 100m forks so defo less capable than a Soul, no?

I thought the whole point of the R8 was that it was a modern take on 90’s steel HT racers? Isn’t the Soul slacker? Surely the P7 is a better comparator with the Soul, & the the R8 is more like a Duster or something, so like isn’t being compared with like.

Also, what does fork travel have to do with capability?

Andy

tobyho
    Free Member

I am not used to the speed. My beloved R8 kept begging me to go faster, faster. My old Rockhopper would start sagging and clanging as soon as it reached speed, but the R8 ? No.

I was trying to catch my mate (who I had been stuck behind for ages with his silly cramp attacks and little stumbles as we negotiated the MSG course at Hylands); I saw him slow down as we approached the Slippery Bridge – this was my moment. The R8 was just there, thrumming along beneath me, calm as a steel cucucumber. I ‘put my foot down’, we hit the bridge and I hit the deck. The R8 slid out from under me and I landed on my arse. My mate disapared in the distance. The R8 was fine. I still love it.

My mate did not stop (c***); claimed he did not know I was off..

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Orange R8 – an appreciation thread’ is closed to new replies.