Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Orange phone upgrade..Help a phone Numpty.
  • righog
    Free Member

I can soon upgrade my Orange Mobile.

I am more than happy with my current IPhone 4, but want to take the free upgrade and pass the new phone to my wife, who uses Virgin PAYG.

What would I need to get done (if anything) to the new phone, for my wife to be able to use it.

Thanks for the help 😀

ohnohesback
    Free Member

You’d need to get the phone unlocked to use a virgin sim.

joemarshall
    Free Member

Need to unlock it. Which is a pain if it is an iPhone. Easier for her to move to orange pay as you go (free to do, and doesn’t take long, whereas most unlocking methods cost money).

You might be better off giving your wife your current phone, and having the new phone yourself. Orange should unlock your current phone if you ask them, whereas they might well not unlock the new phone.

Also worth looking at old bills and checking how many minutes & texts you actually use, how much data etc. and then checking how much you’d save by going to sim only (for example if you have one of the ridiculously expensive £35 iPhone contracts, you often will be able to go down to £10 or £15 a month sim only), bearing in mind that you pay a lot of money for your ‘free upgrade’ – when you do the sums on these things, you’re often paying £400-£500 or so for your ‘free phone’.

righog
    Free Member

Unlocked ? How would I go about that ? Via Orange, or on the high street ?

white101

you may also need to cut down the sim card depending what size it is, I was looking at putting a virgin sim in and i4s recently and found this out as I have a BB with a standard size sim

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Try your local market or boot sale. There is usually someone who can do it. Orange are a right pain of a network when it comes to releasing YOUR property to use as you wish.

righog
    Free Member

Joemarshall.. Thanks for the info,

Yes I am paying around £35, but it gets subsidised somewhat via work, I use the phone a lot abroad and I have not had any problems or expensive bills, whilst doing this so although expensive it does at least do what I want it to do.

I will have a look at going sim only though, but I am quite keen on upgrading the wife’s phone.

georgecats_0
    Free Member

I’m in a similar position myself, but I’ve decided to go sim only with orange, for £6.50 a month,and will buy a phone with what I’m saving,(£480 over 2 years) you’ve got to push orange for good deals though

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Orange phone upgrade..Help a phone Numpty.’ is closed to new replies.