Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Orange patriot, middleburn cranks and chain device : ADVICE
  • RudiBoy
    Free Member

Ok

So I want to use a set of middleburn RS7 on my 2007 orange patriot.

I will be running granny and middle ring with a bash on the outside.

I will be also using a blackspire stinger chain device.

Any one want to give me some advice on what length BB axle I should use. 113, 115, 118??

thanks

fingerbike
    Free Member

Run a 73-113mm on my orange 5…

You may also need to check theres clearance between the middle ring and the swingarm for the chain to move onto to the granny ring, but not sure if this is an issue with Patriots…

Copypasta from middleburn site:

Having the right BB length is crucial to having gears that work as well as intended.

Middleburn cranks run a 48mm chain line for cross country and 50mm for downhill

For a standard MTB setup a 113mm axle is needed for ISIS or square taper.

However, there are far too many variables to always be able to predict what bottom bracket you need. BB-mount (“E-type”) front derailleur and chain devices can throw a stick in the works, as can a lot of oddly designed frames.

If in doubt have your local bike shop fit your cranks.

mark_b
    Free Member

Doesn’t it depend what type of BB you are using and how your Stinger installs more than BB axle length ?

fingerbike
    Free Member

Well the Patriot doesn’t have ISCG mounts so it will be mounted with the bb shell, so i’d say 113mm (ISIS and Square Taper) will be fine, start going any longer and you’ll be in bad chainline territory…

RudiBoy
    Free Member

fingerbike,

thanks for that. do you run a chain device on your orange 5??

RudiBoy
    Free Member

yep the stinger will be bb mounted

thanks

fingerbike
    Free Member

no problem. 🙂

Got an E-thirteen DRS with 36t-24t on mine…

RudiBoy
    Free Member

thanks finger bike….

nickegg
    Free Member

Hey Fingerbike – What middle ring are you running? I run a 36 which was catching the swing arm when shifting down to the granny ring. Had to fit a spacer behind the driveside External BB cup.

Would a 113 Square Taper still be correct?

fingerbike
    Free Member

I have Square taper RS7, running a 36t middle, needed a spacer behind the bb too, the chaindevice created that spacer.
    73-113mm is still correct, any smaller and the cranks would pin against the bb and not move…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Orange patriot, middleburn cranks and chain device : ADVICE’ is closed to new replies.