Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Orange Patriot LT 2001
  • orangespyderman

I have an Orange Patriot LT from 2001 that’s in pretty mint condition. It’s set up with XT 3×9, Hope C2 brakes, Marzocchi Z1 MCR fork and Vanilla RC coil spring, heavy Alex Rims on Hope hubs. It really had very little use (for various personal reasons) but I’m kind of attached to it (not physically, obviously) and I’m wondering what to do for the best.

I could sell it, I could change a few components (the rims, or at least the DH tyres and tubes that are on it now) for something a little lighter and more realistic for the kind of riding I’m likely to be doing (fairly tame trail stuff the gnar amongst us would probably say).

I’ve been looking at some superstar rims and some other clearence deals and 26″ QR stuff isn’t a lot of money these days.

Any thoughts? Should I look to replace the vanilla with something else? Is it flogging a dead horse and I should either ride it as it is or sell it for spares or maybe the frame could be of interest to someone?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Probably the shock. I think the Patriots worked best with a platform shock, or at least a mate had an old Patriot with a Van shock and it was **** awful.

chestrockwell

All depends on what you have planned for it really. If it works I’d just get out and start riding it.

If you find you are riding more, look to replace the wheels with something lighter, maybe look to update the forks and then if you get fully back in to it look to change the shock possibly or move it on and buy something more modern.

I guess the point I’m trying to make is it’s a perfectly useable bike as it is that could be worth updating if you find you are using it. Don’t chuck too much at it though.

orangespyderman

Thanks @chestrockwell – just to be clear I have a Trek Superfly that I ride pretty regularly, so it would only be a toy for whenever I feel that I want something (very) different. I guess on that basis, you’re right.

Only thing that irks are the closed circuit brakes (and they’re IS, not post-mount), and one appears to have some issues with the seals (very slight weeping from the lever). I hate closed brakes and I think they’re pretty wholly inadapted to the bike. What would a more up to date IS brake be for, as you say, not too much money?

chestrockwell

Just get some IS to post mount adaptors and get a set of Deore’s. 😉

orangespyderman

Thanks – kinda what I was thinking…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Don’t chuck too much at it though.

older bikes are very good at sensing the spending of cash, it can cause metal fatigue 😉

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Orange Patriot LT 2001’ is closed to new replies.