Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Orange P7 – Had BB faced, but they have done the ISCG mount as well. WTF?
  • marionheck
    Free Member

as above really, mate had his new P7 frame in his LBS to have the BB faced, went in ot pick it up and they had removed all teh paint from the ISCG face as well.

Is this right? they have removed a hell of a lot of paint. is this necessary or should they just have removed the paint around the BB?

Cheers

Dave

FuzzyWuzzy

I wouldn't expect them to face the ISCG unless asked, if they charged you extra for it I wouldn't be overly happy. Should only really need it for Hammerschmidt anyway no?

marionheck
    Free Member

that was my main question really, do they need to face the whole thing for the BB, or should they just do the circle around the BB shell and leave all the paint on the ISCG mount?

Mate has not paid anything yet.

clubber
    Free Member

If facing the BB, that's all they should be facing.

trail_rat
    Free Member

depends – are the iscg mounts set back or flush with the bb shell ?

if they are flush – like some old dh frames were then you wont be able to do the shell without the iscg being done

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Your lucky I've been to a few LBS's that refuse to face steel frames with ISCG mounts, it ruins the tool apparently.

Why are you annoyed? If anything it'll have improved thigns a bit.

And its impossible to face one and not the other, the tool's I've seen all had bits about 1/2" larger than the BB shell.

Rickos
    Free Member

If he ever wanted to use the ISCG tabs then they should be done too, so they've kinda just pre-empted that on the assumption he might.

marionheck
    Free Member

think he was a bit annoyed cus he is a tart and they took a lot of paint of the mount, i think i see the point of the 'pre-empting' bit.

am sure the cranks will hide it anyway. Was probably just the shock of your new frame having more taken off than you imagined, still in the protective stage of bike ownership

thank you all.

shorts_in_winter
    Free Member

I am that mate… seems to me that doing the whole ISCG mount is a bit OTT! I am running the frame as SS so the tabs are visible and will look like a dogs breakfast now. I'm also concerned that as its steel the bare metal will rust and look pants too.

trail_rat
    Free Member

well you can answer my question then ….

– are the iscg mounts set back or flush with the bb shell ?

shorts_in_winter
    Free Member

They are flush with the shell on the P7

angryratio
    Free Member

if your really that bothered walk brashly into any cosmetics area in a local department store and find nail varnish to match the paint.

shorts_in_winter
    Free Member

I guess nail polish is an option!!! Was just going to mask it off carefully and respray to make it pretty again 🙂

Sounds like the only way to face the shell is by doing the tabs as well, which is fine although would have been nice if the guy in the shop pointed that out!

trail_rat
    Free Member

i trust you understand the process by which bb shells are faced ?

the tool overlaps the shell and will thus take paint off your iscg mounts

If it really bothers you either clear nail varnish over the bare steel or paint it – stop it rusting

trail_rat
    Free Member

assuming your a mate of daves and it was an aberdeen shop – wasnt Alpine was it ? Wanna wind up my mate/ex work colleague 😉

shorts_in_winter
    Free Member

I wasn't aware the tool overlapped so much, been a whie since i got a BB faced. At least i know now so won't kick off too much at the mechanic!

I'll just have to tart it up when i get the frame back, it did need doing as the bearings were binding from uneven paint build up.

Cheers for the feedback guys.

marionheck
    Free Member

Terry, he is my mate, but lives in perth OZ. so afraid you can't go and wind up Alpine. you started your grown up job yet?

trail_rat
    Free Member

bah thats a shame 🙁 yeah dave ive started – just course after course after course . off on my off shore survival/medical and my jabs shortly . Just applied for my visas for equitorial guinea :s

HAvnt been in touch because i really havnt been in aberdeen all that much- the missus is on teacher training and is based in the highlands – thats just too good to miss – free accomodation and great trails !

marionheck
    Free Member

When you do get here full time give us a shout. i am here for another 18 months or so.

who you working for?

trail_rat
    Free Member

weatherford.

depending on where jayne gets a job we are looking to get out of the city . Currently live on auchmill road – you know the one going to the haudagain from north! hate it !

looking at auchenblae area or just outside stoney

marionheck
    Free Member

I live in westhill, would recommend out west as it is near the good riding and access to the mountains. and is good if you work south or north of the city where ever your work takes you.

Good on you for the job, give us a shout when about for a ride 07736 289 589. see if i can show you some new trails if you haven't found them all.

dave

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Orange P7 – Had BB faced, but they have done the ISCG mount as well. WTF?’ is closed to new replies.