• This topic has 28 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by wl.
Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Orange P7 2016 – who's got one?
  • wl
    Free Member

New P7 looks mint. Anyone got one and care to spill the beans? Also, what’s sizing like? Ta.

enfht
    Free Member

I’m waiting for next year’s when they’ll correct the cable routing.

chestrockwell

Also interested as it’s C2W time.

I’m torn between the sensible road/cross bike that should get me out more often for short blasts and sit on the turbo or the P7.

I really like the look of the P7 but don’t really ‘need’ it. The justification I’m using atm is that I planned to have a look at 650b fs so this could fill the gap.

My only worry is that I sold my 26″ ht as I always used the 29″ fs so is there any point with the P7?

The neon green one looks ace though. 😆

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    bianchiboy
    Free Member

Not available until the end of April i think you will find.

chestrockwell

Thought it was March? I’ve asked the question so will report back.

doctorgnashoidz
    Free Member

enfht – Member
    I’m waiting for next year’s when they’ll correct the cable routing.

What don’t you like? Genuine question, I can’t see too much wrong except perhaps it looks like the stealth dropper is semi stealth, entering the seat tube near the BB?

coomber
    Free Member

Asked in a local ish bike shop (not my regular one) and they said they’d all sold out and couldnt get any in. That was about 5 weeks ago.

STATO
    Free Member

Asked in a local ish bike shop (not my regular one) and they said they’d all sold out and couldnt get any in. That was about 5 weeks ago.

That’s just shops buying all the allocation, they wont all be sold to customers.

chestrockwell

To be fair, quite a few shops don’t even show it in the range where as some that do say zero stock.

coomber
    Free Member

That’s just shops buying all the allocation, they wont all be sold to customers. [/quote]

Good point that. But said shop said they couldn’t get one. Irrelevant really as plans have changed… would like to see some out and about though

enfht
    Free Member

Considering how many tweaks the original 26″ frame went through (peaking at 2008 MkII imo) this new version is barely past prototype so I’ll stick with my 26″ for a little while longer.

Doctor- it’s the new downtube cable that looks wrong to me.

duir
    Free Member

Doctor- it’s the new downtube cable that looks wrong to me.

Isn’t it just the stealth dropper cable routing on the top of the downtube? The other cables are routed under the top tube and down the seat stays, that seems like spot on cable routing to me?

I have had a P7 frame on order for a month and was told around 6 weeks when I ordered, we shall see.

enfht
    Free Member

The downtube cable just looks untidy to me, but the ideal dropper cable routing differs by brand so they can’t please everyone.

I can see Orange have decided to pinch the chainstay again like the original. The ‘S’ shape curve looks neat but it’s where one of my P7’s eventually developed cracks so I think pinching the tube may create a weak spot?

chestrockwell

Had a reply from Orange, it’ll be available mid April.

steel4real
    Free Member

Yep – ordered a frame at beginning of March and been advised delivery due in mid-April.

rickon
    Free Member

Has anyone got theirs yet? If so… How’s it riding?

steel4real
    Free Member

Picked up my frame this week but I’ll not have time to build it for a while 🙁

northernatheart
    Free Member

I got mine last week. Couple of rides so far. Feels so much more compliant than the carbon 29er I traded in. Loving it

rickon
    Free Member

What size did everyone go for? Looking at the figures, I’d have straight off picked a medium – 620 ETT, 440 Reach, decent stack.

But…. Orange have me on a large at 5’11.

northernatheart
    Free Member

I am 6’1 ish and got a large. No real adjustments needed.

wl
    Free Member

rickon – did you talk to Orange? I’m 5′ 10″ and went with a medium. I like the smallest frame I can get away with and the med feels great (all my other Oranges have been medium). Having said that, I do have the seat back on its rails and don’t want to add a longer stem, so I’ll see how I get on when it comes to very long rides with tons of climbing. It’s just possible I’ll need to move up to a large frame, but I’m hoping this medium will be fine. It’s certainly fine for the descents – lovely and chuckable. Overall, a mint bike – ridiculously fun on fast descents and steep techy stuff.

rickon
    Free Member

Cheers wl,

That’s weird, as the 2016 geometry has a very roomy cockpit – 620 ETT should be good while sat down, and 440 should be a good long reach. The large looks pretty long at 640 ETT, and the reach is 457 – so bigger than 90% hardtail XLs.

Do they come up short in real life then? Have you got a long torso?

wl
    Free Member

rickon – no worries. Not sure if I have a long torso to be honest, but I do have a bad back (lower back, gets worse on 3+ hour rides with lots of long climbs) so I’m interested in whether frame size will help. I opted for Med hoping it will be ok, but I haven’t ridden it enough yet to know. It’s possible that a large will be better or worse, so it’s all a bit of a gamble. I think my P7 with 40mm stem is same length as my 2013 Five in Med (17″) with 50mm stem – that’s measuring top of the front of the seatpost to the stem cap bolt (if that makes sense). Feel free to ask any other questions.

rickon
    Free Member

I think my P7 with 40mm stem is same length as my 2013 Five in Med (17″) with 50mm stem

Hmm… weird indeed. It *should* be 20mm longer than your Five. But the ETT is just an imaginary line, so your seatpost and stack of spacers can change it.

I used to ride a Medium Five29 (same size as your Five), which felt like it needed another 10 – 20mm on the top tube.

Spoke to my LBS, and they’ve not got either size in to check out, which is a pain.

wl
    Free Member

Well good luck getting hold of one to check. I’m sure a 50mm on a medium would still fell great, if it came to it. The bike is ace. I’ve not ridden a hardtail for 3 years and this one is a belter – it’ll ride anything I can. Crazy fun too.

rickon
    Free Member

Just had an email back from Orange, they were fence sitting – which is fair enough, but the undertones were to go for a large. On paper, that looks pretty long – but if they’re sizing up like last year’s Crush, then they’re shorter than the paper measurements.

Damn to LBS not having any to look at.

wl
    Free Member

I reckon you’ll be fine on either really – think there’s still plenty of stand-over on a large, and you can always shift your seat on its rails or run an even shorter (31mm Renthal) stem. Large is probably the safer option in terms of minimising the consequence of a wrong choice. Be interested to know how you get on. Good luck! PS – where are you? The factory might let you swing out leg over both sizes, or there’s my medium you can look at in Hebden Bridge.

rickon
    Free Member

Scotland, so many miles 😉

wl
    Free Member

No worries. Good luck and enjoy the bike if you get one.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Orange P7 2016 – who's got one?’ is closed to new replies.