Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Orange P7 2008 (MK II) required frame mod
  • enfht
    Free Member

I noticed my rear brake mount was moving slightly when in use, after a closer look it was actually the dropout holding the brake which wobbled slightly when the brake was engaged. I thought this was caused by me allowing the screws to loosen and wear the dropout but when I ordered a replacement dropout Orange were aware of the problem and provided a “fix” which included drilling/widening an unused panier hole on the frame to make way for a third screw. Turns out that the 2 screws attaching the dropout to the frame werent stong enough to keep the dropout firmly in place due to the force generated when braking. The fix worked and I’m happy it’s now sorted, no movement at all in the dropout, but was anyone else aware of this “known issue”? Has anyone else been affected by this? Was the previous P7 version also affected?

ton

another bodge job by the ‘british’ bike brand.

MrNutt
    Free Member

nope, wasn’t aware of this, cheers for letting me know, I shall see if its possible on the wifes P7

Lazgoat
    Free Member

Who did the fix, you or Orange?

lovell
    Free Member

The previous years P7 did not suffer this problem, I have one and have always found it was excellent.Ton, why the “British” tag? they are based in Halifax make some stuff there and some in the far east,never heard of a bike company that didn’t have the odd “issue” ?

brant
    Free Member

Turns out that the 2 screws attaching the dropout to the frame werent stong enough to keep the dropout firmly in place due to the force generated when braking.

Yeah – thats why we changed the design that they copied before we launched it, using M6 bolts rather than M5’s.

enfht
    Free Member

Lazgoat, I did the fix myself, cost me a new drill bit and some other bits that I needed an excuse to buy (torque wrench, loctite 243 etc) I work in IT so my experience with a drill is limited but thankfully I pulled it off without a hitch. Orange posted the modified dropout very quickly, no complaints there at all, and it came with full instructions. I was charged for the modified dropout though, and I do now have a new hole in the frame which isnt “sealed” so over time I guess it could rust. Should I take the new bolt back out and coat the hole in grease to limit the chance of it rusting?

enfht
    Free Member

Brant I didnt understand your post? Who are “we”?

brant
    Free Member

“we” are on-one. Michael from Orange told me that they got “their” dropout design from one of “our” factories who we sampled with once.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Orange P7 2008 (MK II) required frame mod’ is closed to new replies.