Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 127 total)
  • Orange have managed to make another awful looking bike
  • davidtaylforth
    Free Member

This looks horrendous. I guess it’ll sell by the bucket load to the no nonsense straight talking plain and simple 100% british beef eating over geared trail centre warriors though. The stem isnt even slammed

http://www.orangebikes.co.uk/bikes/carb-o/

crikey
    Free Member

£1800 for a 105 equipped generic carbon frame?
    Good luck with that chaps, it’s a £1000 bike at most.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Bloody good name though!

fubar
    Free Member

I like it 😳 (but wouldn’t pay anything like £1900 for it 😯 )

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

£1800 for a 105 equipped generic carbon frame?

Yes, it is a bit dear. Considering you could buy a 105 equipped CAAD10 for £999 a few weeks ago from wheelbase.

JoB
    Free Member

you’re right, they’ve sold out already

beaker

I remember the Ti road bike they made years ago, the Vitamin T (I think) that was rather nice. Do you think they got a job lot of those chinese carbon frames off e bay??

Oxboy
    Free Member

Looks O.K. to me, I like it.

tonyg2003

High modulus frame – not much in the way of specs on that then!

grantway
    Free Member

looks fine no idea how to price them seen Giant road bike frames going for £ 5,000

crikey
    Free Member

A classic ATGNI beacon…

warton
    Free Member

Bland. Rubbish spec, incredibly overpriced. Who buys these bikes, when canyon, focus, ribble and offer better bikes for less money?

DickBarton

The Vit T was a mountain bike from what I recall…think Johnny Clay rode one when he rode for Team Orange…

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Bland. Rubbish spec, incredibly overpriced. Who buys these bikes, when canyon, focus, ribble and offer better bikes for less money?

People who have no idea how to price them? Like Grantway?

RustySpanner

I think it’s a lovely looking bike, tbh.

JoB – Member

you’re right, they’ve sold out already

Without any road tests or demonstrators too. 🙂
    The power of branding is truly a wonderful thing….. 😀

druidh
    Free Member

Reminds me a bit of those “BMW” bicycles – bought by the gullible brand fanboys.

headfirst
    Free Member

It must be ridden wearing baggies and a peaked helmet.

takisawa2

It reminds me of a Suzuki GSX600F I had once.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Not really setting my pulse racing for the dough.

Frankly, I’d go with this and pocket the small matter of £500 change, but each to their own.

RealMan
    Free Member

Terrible name. Can’t tell what it looks like as most of it is white against a white background. Decals look pretty minging though, IMO. Think it looks a bit like a few williers I’ve seen.

The stem isnt even slammed

The amount of massive bike manufacturers that have their showing off bikes with full dura ace and bling wheels, and then have the stem 5 feet above the headtube… I don’t know why they do it. Looks awful.

Looks like internal routing which is nice though, and a tapered headtube, so it could actually be a fairly good frame, but still seems overpriced.

RustySpanner

The amount of massive bike manufacturers that have their showing off bikes with full dura ace and bling wheels, and then have the stem 5 feet above the headtube… I don’t know why they do it. Looks awful.

Perhaps most people don’t want to look like a sad, pathetic, TdF
    wannabee and would prefer to ride their bikes in comfort? 😉

brakes
    Free Member

I don’t know why they do it.

possibly because they will be bought and ridden by first-time road bike buyers who aren’t used to the roadie position and would prefer a more relaxed position

RealMan
    Free Member

It’s not about riding, it’s about making your bikes look good, that’s how you sell them, surely?

possibly because they will be bought and ridden by first-time road bike buyers who aren’t used to the roadie position and would prefer a more relaxed position

I’m not talking about bikes in shops here, obviously they can’t be slammed because then you’d have 5 inches of steerer sticking out the top of the stem and it would look stupid. I’m talking about the pictures bike manufacturers have on their websites and such.

Like this

It’s like a £6k bike or something stupid, dedicated to racing, and it looks so dumb (specially with that huuuugggee stem) with a spacer.

bigG
    Free Member

I know I’m just reiterating what’s been said but theres simply no way that’s worth £1900. Shame to see them cashing in on the name.

RustySpanner

RealMan – Member

It’s not about riding, it’s about making your bikes look good, that’s how you sell them, surely?

I’d say it’s about making them appeal to the target market, as well you know…. 😉

It’s a bike aimed at amateurs, not pros.

An extremely low stem puts most people off because it’s an unnecessarily uncomfortable affectation and unless you’re a pro rider, makes you look like a bit of a knob 😀

RealMan
    Free Member

An extremely low stem puts most people off because it’s an unnecessarily uncomfortable affectation

Specialized are pretty good, and have all their decent bikes slammed on their website, shiv, tarmac etc.

Unnecessarily uncomfortable affectation? FWIW, I find bikes with the handlebars low much more comfortable. Can’t stand it otherwise, feels like I’m on a shopping bike or something. Unless you’re like old and past it, get long and low, it’s great, bikes handle better, they’re stiffer, you go faster, it’s brilliant 😀

meehaja
    Free Member

saw it, thought “I have to have it” and I’m in the market for a new road bike… Might just get a planet X and respray it though…

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I think that looks quite nice actually. I like the detail at the top of the fork and on the chainstays.

No, that’s quite nice tbh. Nice simple colour scheme, nice graphics. And as I am the resident STW authority on all things aesthetic, then that means it’s a nice bike. 😀

An extremely low stem puts most people off because it’s an unnecessarily uncomfortable affectation

I don’t understand RealMan’s obsession with ‘slammed’ stems. To each their own. Let people ride with what they feel comfy.

Unless you’re like old and past it, get long and low, it’s great, bikes handle better, they’re stiffer, you go faster, it’s brilliant

Seeing as how most road bikes aren’t raced, and ridden in traffic etc, that position isn’t the best in terms of being able to look around you, manouverablility and that. A slightly more upright position is better for most people. Personally I don’t understand this craze for silly low skinny racing bikes when something like a Spesh Tricross is ideal for fast commuting, a leisurely Sunday pootle, touring with panniers and good long day rides. Better brakes than most road bikes too.

crikey
    Free Member

Lawks a mercy, there’s an elf in deep water again…

The aesthetic touches are a bit of sticker art on a bought from a Chinese factory frame. Nothing wrong with that, but charging almost twice what equivalent bikes cost is foolish in an ever more sophisticated market.

nich3000
    Free Member

Ooh, I like it. But the name sounds a bit like an energy bar.

colnagokid

It really is quite good looking in the flesh, it wont appeal to roadies but will to mtbers who fancy a road bike- that’ll be most of the people on here then

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Lawks a mercy, there’s an elf in deep water again…

Just as well I’m a good swimmer, eh? 🙂

I din’t say I’d buy one, I just sed it looks nice. Which it does.

theboatman
    Free Member

Well seems ideal for the rider who needs to say ‘I’m a mountain biker even on the road’, whilst also telling us they are the sort of mug rider who likes to pay a premium for the orange brand. You can see it now, peaked helmet and baggies…..

Certainly isn’t a stand out bike to me, and the price!

Northwind

bigG – Member

Shame to see them cashing in on the name.

I mean this from the bottom of my heart- LOLZ.

MrSmith
    Free Member

a ‘road’ bike for mtb’ers who have no idea what makes a good or road bike and no idea what kind of road bike they require, it says ‘Orange’ on the down tube and they will feel comfortable with that, in the same way they will be comfortable paying over the odds for it, wearing baggies, upright ‘nodder’ position, spd’s (or flats) and a camelback when they ride it.

edhornby

having spacers inbetween the headset and stem increases flex – which can exacerbate a high speed shake (these are rare but not nice if you’ve ever had one) and the steering feels less precise so if you can ride the bike with the stem ‘slammed’ then there is a benefit.

if you need the height, flip the stem or buy a spesh roubaix

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Face close to ground, does not in any way see what’s going on around, often ends up dead:

Upright position, ability to see all around, mainly stays alive:

Waderider
    Free Member

As mentioned, the Vitamin T was a hardtail MTB. Their previous road bike was the Orange Dynamo.

A Cannondale CAD 10 equipped with 105 is a bike with issues. Specifically, Cannondales BB convention means a BB that grinds, clicks and squeeks you to distraction – at least in the British climate. Their integrated headset bearings are about as well sealed as an open window, and fills with grit quicker than a budgie gizzard. The bearings sit directly in the frame, something I think Is A Very Bad Idea.

My point is that Cannondale are sometimes a bit shit and cheap, and do a good job of trading on their past.

Of course, I know nothing about this CarbO thing, It may have these problems and more, but the point is, there are cheap carbon bikes with 105, and expensive carbon bikes with 105. Extreme point, you could build up a Cervelo R5CA with 105 and have no change from 10K.

Brycey
    Free Member

Good to see the “serious cyclists” frothing at the mouth again over this sort of thing. I mean imagine riding a bike with the wrong type of clipless pedal…

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Face close to ground, does not in any way see what’s going on around, often ends up dead – Cant ride a bike

Upright position, ability to see all around, mainly stays alive – Also cant ride a bike

Both of them are shit compared to us.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 127 total)

The topic ‘Orange have managed to make another awful looking bike’ is closed to new replies.