Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Orange Gyro mudguard conundrum
  • nw699
    Free Member

I’ve got an orange gyro 29er with a Hans Dampf pacestar and a reverb post. This combination is giving me a headache finding a suitable read mud guard. Mudhugger won’t work as the tyre hits the seat tube when the suspension bottoms out, so I can’t fit one of those. 😮
    Crud catcher etc sit too low with the reverb and hits the tyre when the suspension bottoms out.
    So, anyone got a good solution?

And before anyone mentions it, I prefer a dry butt to looking cool.

bainbrge

Tyre hits seat tube when suspension bottoms out???

Anyway, maybe an Ass-saver for minimal coverage? I’ve wondered whether my SKS Raceblade rear (the bungee attached version) would work on my Orange 5. Would need to be a very wide version but the metal arms seem to be appropriately positioned.

nw699
    Free Member

ass saver might work.

Yeah, the whole tyre hitting the frame thing is a bit of a design flaw I would say.

wwaswas

the tyre hits the seat tube when the suspension bottoms out

is it designed to do that?

z1ppy

Umm there a “29er Orange Rear Mudhugger” which I’d imagine would do the job, but if the tyre is getting close (hitting?) the seat tube, I’d be looking at another smaller tyre, no matter how good it might be.

Del

the whole tyre hitting the frame thing is a bit of a design flaw I would say.

so who’s responsible in your opinion – orange or schwalbe?

Bregante

Aren’t Hans Dampf a (biggish) 2.35″?

Fairly sure the max tyre size on a Gyro is 2.2″. Definitely not got that problem on mine running a 2.2″ Purgatory.

honourablegeorge

I’d say it’s Orange’s fault, designing a gate that can’t accommodate a standard tyre.

shortcut

Sounds like user failure.

If the frame is designed around upto 2.2 and the user fits 2.35 the user is wrong/bought the wrong bike/tyre.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I use SKS front and rear. Works a treat with the dropper on my 135m travel rear.
    SKS X-Blade

nw699
    Free Member

It’s probably not a design flaw if you follow the manufacturers instructions. Think I’ll wear the hans dampf down and then switch to 2.2. Then the mudghugger will fit.

Thing is, the big tyre helps on the rough stuff when the 110mm suspension struggles.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Get a wet arse. Problem solved. 😀

Mal-ec
    Free Member

Eddiebaby, any pics of how your rear guard is set up?

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Here you go:

Keeps my ass and the important part of the dropper clean and dry. Sadly does nothing for the front mech. I assure you there IS one under there:

Mal-ec
    Free Member

Grand Thanks Eddie.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Orange Gyro mudguard conundrum’ is closed to new replies.