Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Orange Gyro alternatives?
  • _daveR
    Free Member

Had my Gyro for a year and have got on well with it. Fancy a change of frame thought, but not sure what to consider.

I want to reuse as many parts as possible, so needs to be a 29er designed around a 120mm fork.

Any ideas?

jam-bo

Mate of mine is raving about the Kona process 111

z1ppy

Segment? 😉
    banshee Phantom
    salsa Horsethief
    whyte t-129 (no frame only option though)

Edit: darn it, too slow 😀

curvature
    Free Member

Ibis Ripley

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Yep, Segment. Oh sorry – its the same thing.

z1ppy

Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Niner Jet 9
    Pivot Mach 429
    Pyga oneten29

drovercycles
    Free Member

Yep Pyga oneten is the one I’d recommend…

dickie
    Free Member

Pivot Mach 4 carbon – on the classifieds.

Shackleton

Loving my Phantom. Thread here.

_daveR
    Free Member

That Pivot does look very tempting! Close to me too. Is there much dealer/importer support in the UK?

I like the sound of the Banshee too.

Tallboy had been looked at, but the cost is just crazy. Can’t justify it.

transition1
    Free Member

Upgrade Bikes Distributer for Pivot Bikes
    Also would recommend the Bandit 29er a very capable bike
    Only have medium frames available

chiefgrooveguru

Based on how well my 160F 140R Spitfire pedals, I suspect the Phantom absolutely flies! The linkage analysis on the KS-link frames explains why, there is loads of anti-squat when you pedal so the bike goes forwards instead of bobbing, even with a very plush shock without the pedalling platform engaged (CCDBa on mine). Monster descender too, with the progressive linkage making it feel longer travel than it is – I’ve never felt mine bottom out hard despite running 30% sag.

I’m sure the VPP Santa Cruz bikes are good but the kinematics don’t make half as much sense – pedal similarly well but the linkage is progressive-regressive which will make the damper much more difficult to tune for plushness without bottoming out. You can reduce the air volume to ramp the spring up but you’re not gaining increased compression damping like a progressive linkage would near full travel, so you’d have to run more high speed compression which will compromise it in the middle of the stroke where the linkage feel is stiffest.

_daveR
    Free Member

Not sure I really follow the comments about the “progressive-regressive” linkage.

I’m enquiring about the Pivot frame though.

Thought about the SB95 but Hobnob pointed out the massive weight of it. SB95C would be an option. But we’re into quite a chunk of cash then.

Tallboy Carbon could be an option, but would not be the LT version due to wanting to use my current forks. (Bit of a cliche too being an Audi driver!)

The Niner Jet option needs a bit of investigation too. Anyone ride one?

rOcKeTdOg

SC super light 29er, virtually the same as your Orange, comes with just as many haterz too

Northwind

Lots of Camber fans out there and it seems aimed at the same job

roverpig

What is it that you don’t like about the Gyro? Or, what is it that you’d like the new bike to do better/different?

_daveR
    Free Member

The fact it’s so similar pretty much discounts it though!

Niner Jet 9 appears to be steeper in it’s angles than the Gyro, whilst I don’t want to go much slacker, steeper isn’t the way I want to go so that’s probably out.

mikeep
    Free Member

Ripley.

Very adaptable bike. Use mine for xc/marathon races as a light build, swap out the fork, pop on a dropper and big tyres and use it for enduro races/trail bashing.

_daveR
    Free Member

Northwind, tried a Camber before buying the Gyro and chose the Gyro over it. There’s a concept store near me so maybe I’ll borrow the demo again.

Roverpig, there’s nothing I can mention explicitly that I don’t like as such. Climbs ok, goes down ok. It’s not the lightest though and now that I’m fully into the 29er element I fancy something new/better!

I should probably demo some of the bikes at Mountain Trax. They have an Ibis Ripley and a Tallboy2 Carbon available.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Orange Gyro alternatives?’ is closed to new replies.