Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Orange Gyro
  • RoganJosh
    Free Member

Anyone ridden one?

Like a fairly xc feel, ride hardtail 26″ race type frames, however rode a rumblefish of a mates and it felt incredible so in the market for a second mtb. It’s 29 I want, short travel full suspension and I like the orange design a lot. Live in the lakes and sometimes when riding with others on full suspensions it leaves you wanting a little.

I know it’s not a race bike, but it’s not for racing. I think it may be suitable for lakes trail rides while with a lightweight build and 1×10 still feel quite nimble.

Any thoughts?

jimw
    Free Member

Someone I know who is very knowledgeable and an experienced rider has one and he really rates it. I hope to get a ride on it soon to compare to my 5

GaryLake
    Free Member

Sounds like it might be ideal… I’ve got one with light all mountain wheels (1750g), Hope 1×10, DOSS dropper and with a Hans Dampf up front and a Ralph 2.25 out back, it’s 28lb 13oz with pedals. XC race wheels, normal post and a Ralph up front should see 26 8oz even.

Very versatile and much more nimble than it’s long swingarm would suggest. More here: http://www.cyclistno1.co.uk/blog/longtermer-orange-gyro-pro-2.htm

A stock medium Pro with pedals does come in at nearly 31lb though but it’s nearly all in the wheels…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    RoganJosh
    Free Member

Ah brilliant thank very much, to be honest 27lb-28lbs is bob on! I ride/race a lot in the road and I’ve never been one for super light weight bikes, I’m not a super light weight rider.

I really like 5s from the simplicity point of view, mate has one and he rates it, however I don’t think I’d like, or be able to justify 140mm, wouldn’t ever need it. And I really really liked the rumblefish which I suppose is treks equivalent to the gyro?

Probably want a large and build 1×10, hope on mavic, a reba fork, then some nice but no nonsense finishing kit (Thomson Easton etc). Ill report back if I go ahead with the build, aboard for a few weeks at the moment.

roverpig

Not ridden one, so I can’t be a lot of help, but it does seem well suited to “lakes trail rides”. Orange do have demo bikes. I’ve got one booked for the middle of April (earliest slot I could get). I’ve also arranged a demo on a Giant Trance X29er, which you might want to consider. The geometry of the Trance is very close to that of the Gyro, but it’s a little lighter and the frameset is around £400 cheaper. It doesn’t have the rugged simplicity of the Orange though 🙂

ps. Gary, isn’t part three of your blog due soon 🙂

Orangejohn
    Free Member

The Gyro is a great all rounder and will suit your wishes down to the ground.

A fault with many 29ers is lifting the front by way of manual or power assist front wheel lift; you know roots, rocks, steps, drop offs etc.
    The Gyro lifts very, very easily; forget the figures/ dimensions on paper.

I used to have a SC Superlight and in some ways it has all the pedal ability of the SC but with non of the draw backs. Point it downhill and it is far easier to control, the SC always kept you on your toes. The Gyro helps mask any lack of ability that you may have whereas the SC merely amplified things should you not be having a good day.

The Gyro is not dull, it is involving and likes being pushed but should you make a slight mistake you won’t suddenly find yourself sat in the undergrowth.

crush83
    Free Member

forgive my lack of knowlage but what is the differance between a Giro and a 5 29er?

roverpig

The Five29 is longer travel, has slacker angles, is a bit heavier and is more aimed at going down than the Gyro, which is more of an all-rounder.

GaryLake
    Free Member

crush83: 30mm of travel, about 3 degrees in the head angle and 2-3lb all up bike weight, among other things.

GaryLake
    Free Member

Roverpig: yeah, next writeup is coming dammit!

roverpig

What was it Douglas Adams said about deadlines?

“I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.”

In your own time mate 🙂

tommy19
    Free Member

I’ve got one of the first 50 in the black and gold guise, my first proper full Susser and 29er so I haven’t had much to compare it to as I’m used to steel hard tails, but it goes up well with little fuss or effort and comes down just as we’ll.
    As an all rounder it’s a great bike.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Orange Gyro’ is closed to new replies.