Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 148 total)
  • Orange Four
  • awh
    Free Member

There’s a photo of the new Orange Four on the Factory Jackson Instagram feed. Might interest a few 🙂

jam-bo

I would.

mike399
    Free Member

Interesting!

chestrockwell

Not sure I really see the point 😕

More details required.

1981miked
    Free Member

Very interesting.. Launch date? £3700 is a fair whack for a “from” price though.

rhayter

Meh.

munkyboy
    Free Member

I suppose it’s like a five/bronson, four/solo. As long as it’s light enough it makes sense to me

legend
    Free Member

chestrockwell – Member
    Not sure I really see the point

Ditto

Rorschach
    Free Member

They continually try and do shorter travel bikes but they are no lighter than the longer travel versions.So people just go I’ll have the longer travel one (thereby totally missing the point) and they don’t sell and get dropped fairly quickly.
    See also 5010 vs Bronson etc

scotroutes

That ^

The whole point of a shorter travel bike is that it should be lighter.

johnnystorm

Is it so people who had a Five donkey years ago can buy a new one as the travel has increased? 😕

tomhoward

One less drawer?

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Is it so people who had a Five donkey years ago can buy a new one as the travel has increased?

Ooosshh! Kick me in the nuts why dontcha??

jam-bo
    chestrockwell

The weight thing is exactly why I don’t get it. If I’m buying a bike with decent travel I don’t worry too much about how heavy it is but if I’m going short travel then the bike’s in a different category where weight is important IMO.

Northwind

scotroutes – Member

Weeelll not just that. Like, if you buy a short travel hard hitting bike like Transition do, it still needs big wheels, tyres etc and you still fit a Pike so the weight ends up pretty similiar to a longer travel bike. But it rides pretty differently. This is basically going to be for people who like the whole Orange deal but want a bit less bike. Same as the old Superlight/Heckler deal I suppose

I wouldn’t buy one, Oranges get better the bigger they are but it’s another stab at the ST4 market. Or maybe more like the Segment, which has all the same criticisms of the Five 29 but still has a place imo.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Looks RAD. I hope they’ve trimmed the chainstays down (compared to the Five’s)

RobHilton
    Free Member

scotroutes – Member

Worng

Bucko

Am I missing something? How do we know it’s not lighter?

roverpig

Didn’t Five originally refer to the weight of the frame, rather than the travel?

ads678

Exactly, haters gonna hate and all that. I think it looks great.

I might get one. in a few of years when I can afford a second hand frame.

Northwind

Bucko – Member

It’s probably not going to be much different- the folded sheet construction doesn’t really lend itself to clever weight loss, the front triangle looks very similiar and the rear though shaped differently has the same job to do really… Nothing gamechanging I reckon

fathomer

Well I think it looks nicer than the 5 (not overly difficult mind) and agree with Northwind, it’s not just the weight, but the way it rides.

fettlin

Interesting! I can definitely see a place for one of these in the fleet if it comes in at the right wheight. I liked the look of the SC bantam, but it was just as heavy as the heckler!

I wonder if the weight will be a usp, as Orange don’t usually like to talk about such things….

scotroutes

Five tons?

chiefgrooveguru

The weight of a bike shouldn’t correlate with the amount of travel it has but with its ability to survive impacts, both potentially disastrous single hits or less massive hits causing fatigue failure. Assuming the suspension is similarly designed, the less travel the bike has, the greater the loads on it, so any reduction in fork/shock weight will be cancelled out by extra metal in the frame. There’s also the matter of fork A-C length and leverage on the head tube so longer forks need more reinforcement around there. Shorter travel bikes are usually lighter because they’re built less strong.

This Orange looks fun!

legend
    Free Member

roverpig – Member
    Didn’t Five originally refer to the weight of the frame, rather than the travel?

It was the “sub-5″ at first as it apparently weighed less than 5lbs for the frame and had 5” of travel (iirc). Not sure what components they took off when weighing it mind you!

chestrockwell

Think so, in the Sub 5 and Sub 3 days.

As for the weight thing, I’m sure it will be lighter but I doubt it’ll be light enough, as others have said. Why get one over a 5 unless it’s significantly lighter? Time will tell though.

chiefgrooveguru

Shorter travel bikes ride different, they’re more efficient to pump, more efficient to pedal if designed with similar anti-squat and more snappy but harsher in their responses. It’s not necessarily about the weight.

I noticed the current Five has now returned to 140mm as the default fork travel, so this is only 10mm less up front and 20mm less at the back. I wonder how the Four’s geometry compares?

chakaping
    Free Member

Glad nobody told Kona this before they made the Process 111.

lawman91

I hate orange as much as the next man, but I’d be interested in having a razz on one of those! Weight isn’t important on shorter travel bikes these days, it’s how they feel. My foxy weighs 28lbs and is a beast on technical terrain, yet take it down something less technical or tighter and it suddenly feels a bit cumbersome and it feels like I’m lugging round a 160mm fork and bottomless feeling back end for little reason. There’s more shorter travel bikes with aggressive geometry showing up, T-130, Scout, 5010 to name but a few. Sure they might not be lighter than a longer travel bike these days, but in certain instances they can make more sense.

thepodge
    Free Member

If it had the angles of an Alpine and 29 wheels it might be interesting

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Surely being light isn’t the point?

To praphrase, “it’s not the size of the dog in the fight, it’s the size of the fight in the dog”. Taking a 4″ travel bike down the same trails at the same speed as a 5″ travel bike is going to put more stress if anything on it, so it needs to be just as strong.

The point of shorter travel is that it rides a little differently, doesn’t wolow about as much, pedals better, pumps better, etc.

robowns
    Free Member

Prefer the look of the five, not keen on that chainstay. Looks better than an Alpine still though mind.

chakaping
    Free Member

If it had the angles of an Alpine and 29 wheels it might be interesting

Heard chat about “new bikes” from Orange, perhaps an updated Segment is also in the pipeline.

StuE
    Free Member
    thepodge
    Free Member

chakaping – Heard chat about “new bikes” from Orange, perhaps an updated Segment is also in the pipeline.

Might I suggest they:
    take 1.5 inch off the seat tube
    take 2.5 off the head angle
    add 15mm to the rear travel
    add 20mm to the front travel

If they keep the rest the same and I’d be interested when I win the lottery.

Edit:
    So they’ve just added simple buzz word features. Disappointing but not surprising

chakaping
    Free Member

I’ll reserve judgement ’til I see the geometry chart, but it does sound more like you’re after a new Five29 !

thepodge
    Free Member

chakaping – I’ll reserve judgement ’til I see the geometry chart, but it does sound more like you’re after a new Five29 !

Or I could buy 2 x Starling frames

chakaping
    Free Member

I dare you.

Does he do 29ers though?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 148 total)

The topic ‘Orange Four’ is closed to new replies.