Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Orange Five vs Alpine….
  • rickon
    Free Member

Hi Chaps,

I’m really missing the simplicity of my Five29 and not having to replace bearings every few months.

I ride pretty exclusively in the Tweed Valley, so steep, technical trails in general.

With the new geometry of the 2016 Five, it looks pretty spot on for riding in the Tweed. But… has anyone ridden the 2015/2016 Alpine and the Five to compare them?

Generally, I’m thinking it’s too much bike for even riding round here – it’s not big smashy rocks – just steep, rooty, offcamber and technical.

Cheers

Ricks

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Does it go along the lines the Alpine is the bike you think you want when you are really suited to the 5?
    What frame did you end up with that has crap sealed bearings?

rickon
    Free Member

Yep, probably in that camp 😉

The Five29 never felt like too much bike for around here, and was still good fun on easy trails.

newsfromthefront
    Free Member

Interested in this too (ride the tweed valley & lakes mostly), veering towards the Five at the minute, as the alpine just sounds like too much bike!
    Oh & i’m sick of replacing / greasing the perpetually seized sh*tty micro bearings on my stumpy evo… I wonder how many peoples multi bearing wonder bikes actually have suspension that works as it was intended if they ride in the wet a lot? 😉

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

I don’t ride my shitty multi micro-bearing wonder bikes in the wet.

I use my Five for that.

And save the other bikes for summer.. 8)

vondally
    Free Member

Given my Yeti sb95 has chewed it’s bearings in less than 9 months and my SO five is running smoothly I can clearly recommend a orange that basis alone plus a £140 for a full bearing kit is point 2.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

I don’t notice much difference between tough 140mm trail bikes and 160mm bikes these days in terms of slogging them around. They seem to all end up within 1lb of weight of each other when kitted out with Pikes and widish rims.

So I’d go for the one that is the most fun when you take it away during summer trips.

wl
    Free Member

Just demoed the 2017 Alpine6. Tom’s point above is a good one.

The Alpine6 is mint- climbs amazingly well for a 170/160 bike and only weighs around 1lb more than the 2017 Five, like for like. Downhill it’s nuts, in a good way. Having said that Five will be mint too I reckon, so you can’t go far wrong.

If you google ‘2017 Oranges’ there are some initial mag reports to read, also some on Orange’s website under the Alpine6.

rickon
    Free Member

The 2016 Five is still a pretty rugged bike, 65.5 ha with a 150mm fork, 1200 wheelbase, 460mm reach.

I won’t be able to test one out in the same spec as I’d build/buy so it’s a bit of a pain.

freddiest

I’d probably go segment… Sorry

stevedoc
    Free Member

Segment with 150 pikes to slacken it out 🙂

Of just plain and simple the five ,, the alpine is no where near as nice on long days in the saddle , both just as epic pointing the other way though

wl
    Free Member

Reckon there might be less difference between the Alpine and the Five on the 2017 bikes, when it comes to all-day pedalling/comfort etc. Same seat angle, 1lb weight difference. Might depend on which wheelset/tyres are specced.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

.. I wonder how many peoples multi bearing wonder bikes actually have suspension that works as it was intended if they ride in the wet a lot?

My vpp blur ltc has had 2 bearings fail in 3 years, they are well protected and have a grease port on the lower link. Ridden in all conditions, not particularly pampered either. It’s possible to do both multi pivot and low maintenance.

rickon
    Free Member

2016 Five bought, and ridden. Taken in down steep, and rocky stuff at Inners, Thornielee and Yair.

140mm travel in the rear is more than enough, didn’t feel out of it’s depth compared to the Reign at all.

If I were bigger, then the Alpine would definitely been more of a contender.

chakaping
    Free Member

Ever heard the saying “pics or it didn’t happen”?

andyjh

Be interested how you compare your new 2016 Five to your old Five29? Still have my Five29 and love it but I do keep looking at the new 2017 Five’s 🙂

mrlugz
    Free Member

Ever heard the saying “pics or it didn’t happen”?

Will a witness statement do?

🙂

rickon
    Free Member

Be interested how you compare your new 2016 Five to your old Five29? Still have my Five29 and love it but I do keep looking at the new 2017 Five’s

It rides incredibly similar, just a bit more poppy and nimble through the corners. Still feels very stable, as it has a pretty decent wheelbase.

andyjh

Interesting, thanks for the feedback. Doesn’t sound like I need to drop a large amount of money on the new version then if the Five29 is still what I need. Having said that it doesn’t stop me looking, lol 😀

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Orange Five vs Alpine….’ is closed to new replies.