Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Orange five sizing – 6′ 1″
  • filtertips

I’ve cut my new full suss choices down to a Marin Mount Vision or an Orange Five.
    I have a test ride arranged for the Marin but at 6′ 1″ I’m right between sizes on the Five.

Trying to get a 20″ Five in for a test ride without travelling 100s of miles is difficult, whereas 18” test bikes are a plenty.

Checked the Orange Bikes website and Rutland Cycling apparently have a 20″ demo bike but after contacting the shop it turns out they don’t

I just wondered what size Five people at 6’ 1” are riding?

Cheers

Simon

andylux
    Free Member

I’m in exactly the same boat mate,

I’ve tested the 18″, which felt nice to ride, though I got slight shoulder ache after riding, hopefully this was due to the narrow bars etc and no the frame size??!!

My Current ride is a L Stumpy fsr with a 65mm stem and EA70 wide bars which does feel a little long. Like you I don’t want to buy an 18″ and regret it.

Also My pikes won’t fit a 20″ frame !! pants!

chunkypaul
    Free Member

20″ for me, but i prefer longer frames

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    rocket
    Free Member

Why don’t you try an 18″ if there are loads about? At least you can then discount it if its too small. I’m slightly taller than you, and have sat on an 18 and thought it felt a pretty good fit. I do like more compact frames though, and don’t like ‘gates’.

angeldust
    Free Member

I’m about 6’1′ and ride a 20′ Orange Five. Fits fine, even with a longish stem. I have long legs if that helps.

Before that I had a 19′ Mount Vision. That actually felt bigger than the Orange (don’t know what the top tube lengths were), but that may have more to do with the geometry and the perched on top feeling I got from that bike. Orange is far, far better to ride in every way.

bowglie

Hmmm…I’m in a similar boat, 6′ 1/2″ and not sure whether to go for an 18″ or 20″ frame (no local 2009 demos available). After something with a bit more stability than my current FS (large Pace RC405), so am guessing 20″ will be the more stable of the two(?)

Interesting to see what size(s)other 6 footers use.

filtertips

I intend to test ride the 18” but I feel it may be a bit too cramped.

My current Bike (18” 05 Kona Dawg) has an ETT of 23.9” and feels a little cramped.

The 18” Five has an ETT of 23.6” and 20” Five 24.3”

I’m not sure if head and seat tube angles have an affect on this?

bluebird
    Free Member

I’m 6’1″ and used to ride an 18″ Sub 5 if that helps.

Trekster

Orange delivered a 5 to Kudu cycles for my mate to test.
    Mate is 6ft 4 and I am 6ft. I found it fitted great. We went riding in the hills above Hawse, Swaledale for the day.

Give Mark a bell and he can arrange a bike/s for you to try. Very helpfull/knowlegable chap on first meeting

He ordered a blue one, painted on Tues/Wed and is waiting a delivery date.

filtertips

Thats wierd.

Both my mate and I ride Dawgs, he 20 and me 19. I also at 6ft found the 18 just a little short for ordinary trail use. Rode an 18 Coiler in Verbier where it was better suited.

If I was to buy another full susser a 5 is now top of the list having tested and discounted a 575.

bowglie

The 5 is a really stiff bike and can be really hustled along. Would nt say it is any better or a great step better than the Dawg I ride but is just a bit stiffer. The 20in just seemed right for us, it was set up for my mate so was a bit hard on air pressures due to his extra wieght but very nice bike all in all. We really need to go back and ride the route we took again in the dry though, it was absolutely chucking it down for the 4hrs we were out. Some bike test?

andylux
    Free Member

Trekstar, what size was that demo please, how did your taller mate get on please?

hora
    Free Member

Whats your inside leg Simon?

Trekster

andy

demo was 20, or as big as they come.

He ordered one there and then to his own spec from the options list, and is awaiting delivery.

Give Mark @ Kudu a call and ask him for the size etc that the big Scotsman, Ian, is buying

BTW Ian also has a 224DH bike for Inners and Ae. He was up at Fortwilliam DH course and did 8 runs last week so knows what he wants from a XC bike

bowglie

I intend to test ride the 18” but I feel it may be a bit too cramped.

My current Bike (18” 05 Kona Dawg) has an ETT of 23.9” and feels a little cramped.

The 18” Five has an ETT of 23.6” and 20” Five 24.3”

I’m not sure if head and seat tube angles have an affect on this?

I think the seat tube angle will have more of an effect than head angle on effective TT length, but the head angle can dramatically effect the wheelbase. Just been out to the garage and measured my Pace(L), the wheel base and effective TT is 23&7/8″ (607mm) and 43&1/2″ (1105mm) respectively. According to Oranges website, the 18″ Five has almost the same effective TT (602mm), but the wheelbase is an extra 35mm long – the 20″ has 55mm longer wheelbase. Personally, I wouldn’t mind a slightly longer wheelbase to get some more stability on steeper techy downs, but I wonder if the jump up to the wheelbase on the 20″ frame would feel a bit barge-like.

Anyone know what stem lengths off the peg 18″ and 20″ Five’s come with?

Trekster

seems you can spec what you want, certainly from Kudu. Just tell em what you want and see what happens. If your nearest lbs won`t or can t accommodate you go somewhere else.

Personally I just get on the thing and ride without trying to analyze something I know nothing about. If it feels right it is right.
    Having recently ridden Specialized and Yeti 575 the O5 is the winner so far if I was in the market for a fs. As it is I need a ht.

Mate on his 20in Dawg

filtertips

hora

I’m a 33” inside leg.

I tried a layback post on the Dawg to increase the stretch but it really messed up the weight distribution.

I’m worried about the 20” feeling like a barge but the only sensible thing to do is arrange a test ride on both.

Trekster

Your mates Dawg is the same year and spec as my Dawg.

Paceman
    Free Member

Bowglie

I demo’ed the Orange 5 and Pace 405 last year back to back and found them both excellent. TBH i’d have happily bought either, but went for the Pace in the end as I got a better deal on an ex-demo frame.

The 405 definately has a more compact geometry, and was definately the better climber with the full-floater shock set-up, and accelerates really well as you’ll know. The Five was an absolute blast going downhill, but less sprightly and more of a cruiser then the 405, but a great all-rounder. It’ll probably give you the stability you’re after.

Both great bikes, i’d have really liked to have taken both home! 😀

Trekster

Took me ages to find a fs bike once I decided to get one. Attended many test days and arranged many a test ride over a period of 2yrs before I got to the Kona. Like most people I was attracted to the boutique brands until I tried the Kona back to back with a Hustler and RM Slayer and XTS. Kona won hands down on an off-the-shelf spec.

You must test before you buy. You must try other bikes for a true comparison and not get bamboozled by 1/2deg here or 1/2deg there and what ett or what seat tube dia. Just get on it and ride the thing.

Ohh and colour does`nt matter either imo

bowglie

Paceman

re: the 405 and Orange 5

Both great bikes, i’d have really liked to have taken both home!

heeheehee..that’s my cunning plan (I’m currently buying drivetrain & brake components and squirreling them away ready for ‘the build’). The plan is to keep the Pace fairly light for trail centre & smooth XC blasts and the Five a bit heavier for bouncing around the local Peak rockeries. All this depends on if (who am I kidding – when!) MrsB finds out. er..dunno how to explain that I’m on a different bike when we go for a ride…er..deal with that at the time. hmm…might have to go for same frame colour as the Pace 😕

rOcKeTdOg

i’m 6ft 2 and had an 18″ five and put a shorter than stock stem on it, 20″ felt like i was sitting on a gate

FivebarG
    Free Member

I have the 20″ frame and am 6′ 3″. Got it from Kudu bikes, really helpful and worth the 3hr drive (each way). Prefer to run mine with a layback seatpost and short stem (70mm). The seatpost is about 320mm out of the frame, the 18″ would be too small for me IMO.

davel75
    Free Member

why not go by the numbers – do all the geometry comparisons and go from there. I’m 5’10” and am going for a 16″ as I really like compact cockpits and that’s going to be a 1″ extension on my current frame anyway.

filtertips

Tried a 18″ Five through my LBS and it’s just a bit too short in the top tube for me. My LBS has organised a 20″ Five for me to try so I’m looking forward to that.

I’ve also managed to have demo rides on a Mount Vision 5.8 and a Zesty 314, both seemed to suit me better than the Five but I shall wait and see how the 20″ Five works out.

Does anyone have any information on what dealers will have demo bikes at this years Mountain Mayhem Dirt Demo?

I wouldn’t mind a blast on a Fuel EX and Trek have been there previously.

Cheers

robinbetts
    Free Member

I’m 6’1″ and I’ve recently bought a Five Pro 20″. I demoed it first at Afan, South Wales; the 18″ was just too short across the top.

I’d definitely go for the Orange over the Marin, and 20″ all the way.

andywhit
    Free Member

6ft here and the 18″ is perfect.

FieldMarshall

I’m 6’2″ and have just swapped from a 19″ Attack Trail to a 20″ Five.

Attack Trail always felt a bit short and a bit tall.

Five feels longer (even with 50mm stem) and much lower and hence more stable.

The Five is definitely a much more sorted bike in terms of geometry and ride.

The added bonus I have found with the 20″ Five is that I really don’t feel the need to move my seatpost up and down half as much as I did on the Marin.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Orange five sizing – 6′ 1″’ is closed to new replies.