Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Orange Five Sizing
  • skywalker
    Free Member

I’ve done a search. There are lots of different opinions on sizing and most threads don’t take into account the new 17″ frame. Rider is 5’8″ with a 31″ inside leg, riding mainly XC and wanting to run a short stem and wide bars.

What do you think?

pugster007
    Free Member

I am 5′ 7″ on a good day, run a 16″ with a 50mm stem, 711mm bars, fits like a dream after years of ‘not quite the right size’ Stumpjumpers & Trek EX’s. The in between size sounds perfecto for your buddy, try and get a test ride.

skywalker
    Free Member

Thanks, anyone else?

gusamc
    Free Member

5ft5ish, 28ish insie leg male

I use old 16 and newer 14, I prefer the 16 for my riding (map based random path codger pace XC), both with 65 stems and layback posts, but the 14 is probably more manouverable.

You should really testride (I bought 16 blind and 14 after a brief test ride and have evolved to where I am) – there is (IMHO) a level of room for ‘persona preference’ adjustment, stem length, post/or layback and saddle position on post

The 17 does sound ok however – based on you being taller than me and wanting the short stem. Presumably you’ve compared the specs on the Orange site

TheSwede
    Free Member

I don’t think there are many orange fives about. I’ve never even heard of it.

Junkyard
    Free Member

i am 5 ft 9 and ride an 18 which is what most do at my height though some have a 16 – i might if I never rode long days in the saddle but it felt too small

i think the 17 or the 16 would do at what you describe and i would imagine the 17 is the better option but it depends on rider preference

Zoolander
    Free Member

Just ordered a 17 inch, I’m 5 foot 9 (32 leg) and it sounds right for me, I considered a 16 which would have been fine for trail centre type stuff but too cramped for a whole day xc type ride.
    I’ll find out for sure when it arrives next week 😀

orena45

I’m hoping to get a Five later this/next year and similar to you (5’8″, 32″ leg) and wondering whether a 16″ or 17″ is best. I’ve booked a test ride at Skyline Cycles at Afan for the end of the month as they have a 17″ demo bike. Might be best heading over there at some point and testing one out yourself too?

sam2391
    Free Member

Im 5’10 and settled on the 17″ as its the same wheelbase and toptube as an 18 with slighly standover clearance and the ability to get a dropper post as far down as 18″ with a normal post if that makes sense.

scoobmw
    Free Member

The 17 is a slightly strange new size. I recall the 17 was only made though to cater for certain specific features (seat posts or combination of post and new head tube, my memory fails me – there was a very specific reason for it, so that certain things could be used that couldn’t previously on a 16 mebbe – something like that) so I’m not sure they changed all of the frame proportionally.

Actually just checked the TT length etc, the effective TT is the same as the 18 and so is the wheelbase.
    So while you get reduced standover clearance, the bike will still be same in terms of reach etc. (actual TT is 6mm shorter which seems to equate to identical effective TT).

Anyway – I’m 5’9, 32 inside leg, and on an 18″ with 60mm stem. I tried both 16 and 18 – couldn’t decide, so took for LBS advice and went for 18. Love it. Use it for just about everything.
    Suspect I could also ride 16 happily too and it might be more ‘chuckable’? if such a phrase exists.
    PS. Stem was changed to 60mm to shorten cockpit a little for me rather than stick with stock 90mm. That was the main trade off between 16 / 18 for me.

iainc

5ft 10 with 30.5 inside leg here and 18 fits well, so for your size 16 or 17 sounds right

jp
    Free Member

5’7 here with a 30″ inside leg. 17″ fits me perfect

skywalker
    Free Member

Thanks for the input folks

totalshell

5’10” 31 inside leg 18 puuurfect

Riksbar

5’10” with a 31 inside leg. Tried a 16″ but it felt too cramped, had an 18″ Patriot which was great but it always felt a tiny bit tall. Got a 17″ Five which feels spot on.

nmdbase
    Free Member

16″

skywalker
    Free Member

17″ by unanimous decision

Matt24k
    Free Member

I’m 5’7″ with a 30″ inside leg and have a 2011 model 16″ frame. I run a 70mm stem and 695mm bars. The 17″ is the same as the 18″ other than 20mm in Standover and 6mm in the Top Tube.
    See http://www.orangebikes.co.uk/bikes/five_s/
    for full sizing spec.

bobster
    Free Member

Same height and inside leg as you.

I went for a 16″ with a 70mm stem and it always felt a little too cramped for me, so I reckon the 17″ would be best.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Orange Five Sizing’ is closed to new replies.