Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Orange five shifting problems.
  • Wookster

Got a new five amazing bike really is but the shifting seems to go up the spout pretty quickly after riding in mud, now this is not unusula by the stiffee I have has the same shifting spec (xt/ X9) and will run on forever wil little or no treatment, but the five even with a good wash down and lube after each ride seems to shift really badly after one or two rides?

Any one had this issue with the bike or do you reckon that its a dodge rear mech or hanger??

Thanks!

bomberman
    Free Member

new cables need bedding in?

MrNutt
    Free Member

check your chain, also the cables have probably stretched, happened on my SZ and thats a HT!

bomberman
    Free Member

in which case all you’ll need to do is wind the barrell adjuster out a few clicks on the shifter. clockwise = closed, so anticlockwise a turn should see you right 🙂

Sandwich

Also check the mech hanger hasn’t deformed in any way.

coatesy
    Free Member

If everything’s straight and your cables aren’t stiff, it may be worth looking at the B-tension adjuster on the rear mech. I build quite a lot of 5s and, depending on who’s set them up, they may be the cause of the problem.Usually on the 5 you can wind it out until the mech stops moving forward under its spring tension, this brings the top jockey(which controls the movement of the chain)much closer to the cassette, and will give a snappier and more precise shift.I regularly come across them set up with a huge gap, and while they will work like that, the shift is much more precise with the gap tightened up.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Cable stretching I reckon.

molgrips
    Free Member

No, it’s the stupid full-length cable outer that Orange use on this and the Patriot. It’s driven me batty over the 2 years I’ve owned them. The problem is that when crud inevitably gets into the system, you have to completely dismantle it to clean it and just hope that the cable end’s not so deformed that you can’t thread it back in – otherwise you need a new cable just cos the old one’s dirty. Madness! It also means you can’t use standard XTR cables or Ride-on cables cos you don’t get enough outer with them. I’m seriously considering having cable bosses brazed on, or I might even glue them on myself.

Best solution I’ve found is buy some XTR cables and use the black slippy coated inner and the rubber sealed cable ends (you get a fair few in the pack) with a long piece of standard outer. Also use the thinnest oil you can find to spray in the cable (I used penetrating lube, even thinner than WD40) as the viscosity of oil is sometimes enough to slow the cable down to the point where it wont’ shift well.

jim
    Free Member

It also means you can’t use standard XTR cables or Ride-on cables cos you don’t get enough outer with them.

XTR outer in 10m lengths:

http://www.parker-international.co.uk/5084/Shimano–SP–41–Outer-Casing-4mm-x-10m.html

myfatherwasawolf
    Free Member

I’ve never understood this thing about full length cables being better in mud! They’re bloody terrible in my experience and, as above, a complete pain in the backside to service. The less outer the better!

feenster
    Free Member

One of the best things I ever bought was a set of Gore cables. £40, but I fitted them in the autumn, and they’re still as smooth as the day I fitted them, and the bike has had many mud batchs and hose downs in that time.

molgrips
    Free Member

One of the best things I ever bought was a set of Gore cables. £40, but I fitted them in the autumn, and they’re still as smooth as the day I fitted them, and the bike has had many mud batchs and hose downs in that time.

As I said, Ride-on cables (aka Gore cables) don’t come with enough outer to use on a full cable run bike. But agreed, they are good and will last years if fitted properly and NOT LUBED.

XTR outer in 10m lengths:

A bit more than I need…

racing_ralph
    Free Member

Molgrips – wrong again:
    http://shop.18bikes.co.uk/products.php?plid=m9b0s435p464

Stick a note in at checkout if you run full-length outers- we’ll bung enough outer in to make it work!

votchy
    Free Member

Gore Ride-on fitted to my 5 last year, silky smooth shifting now, even had some outer left over, front mech doesn’t require full outer so more than enough in the box to do the rear. To be fair, fitting the gore cable was just a whim as I’ve never suffered a mis shift on my 5 from new, even during 2007’s mudfest at Mayhem it shifted sweet as a nut

racing_ralph
    Free Member

bad shifting = monkey fisted setup

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Orange five shifting problems.’ is closed to new replies.