Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • Orange Five RS
  • chrismac

I think they have gone 650b because they can and it probably isnt that hard or expensive. Making the swing arm a bit longer and stuffing longer forks in cant take that much doing when your making them by hand in a workshop.

nedoverendsmole
    Free Member

I don’t see why a small volume UK company like Orange, would not be able to keep the 26″ Five option alive as a limited custom frame option. Maybe with the shelved 142 dropouts and other choice bits from the bigger wheeled frame. Orange should do this, I bought my Five as a frameset only and like having lots of choices!

accu
    Free Member

+1

chestrockwell

I’m sure they could but would there be enough demand? In fact, I’m sure they’d bring the 26″ back if the demand was there in the future, I just don’t think it ever will. If you notice on the website they don’t make a big fuss about the merits of 650b for the 5, they just basically say ‘this year we’re doing this’.

roverpig

I’m quite partial to a wheelsize debate. Gives you something to do when you can’t be riding. But, let’s face it, the various sizes on offer don’t make that much difference. They just give the designer another parameter to play about with to get the bike to feel the way they want.

Whether the wheels are 26, 27 or 29 a Five will feel like a Five. The bigger wheels (and the other changes that are made to accommodate them) tend to make a bike that is a bit faster a bit better at rolling over stuff but a bit harder to manoeuvre around. But only a bit.

That’s my main objection to 650b really. Having ridden 26″ and 29ers I just don’t see the difference as being big enough to warrant something in the middle. But I can’t really blame Orange for following the trend.

I do think they missed a trick by not continuing to offer the Five “Classic”. I doubt it would have cost them much to keep it as a frame option and it might have got them a few more sales.

Personally, if I were looking to buy an all-rounder from Orange I’d be looking at the Gyro rather than any of the Fives. But my definition of all-rounder may not be the same as yours.

chestrockwell

I do think they missed a trick by not continuing to offer the Five “Classic”. I doubt it would have cost them much to keep it as a frame option and it might have got them a few more sales.

I think it’d cost more then you think as they’ve changed the frame quite a bit this year (shock mounts etc) as you probably know. They would have to have the tools made up to do it in 26″ flavour and I bet that isn’t cheap. I also don’t think they’d sell many tbh.

Either that or keep making the 2011/12/13 frame. Who would buy that when there’s an improved design that costs the same?

Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Orange Five RS’ is closed to new replies.