Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Orange five + rp23 play/bushings advice needed
  • carbon337
    Free Member

Not sure whats up here – I am quite new to this kind of maintanance.

I noticed a small amount of play in the back end of my Five like a small clunking when I gently press down on the seat then remove the pressure. Just to add im not piling weight into the shock this is just a gentle load.

I think i narrowed it down to where the shock mounts onto the rear swingarm. I rempved the bolt that goes through which was tight. One side of the metal bits that push into either end of the hole in the ram section is very loose – as in you can push it in and pull it out of the eye very easily – when in there is a small amount of play.

Is this normal or should these metal bushes bits be tight? Are they even classed as bushes?

The bits that push into this hole :

Where do i get replacements – what size etc do i need?

Thanks for the help

jam-bo

Easy job. Five minutes with a couple of sockets and a vice or you can buy a special tool. New bushes are about £4 each.

Betd, tftuned or mojo should be able to sort you out.

carbon337
    Free Member

i pressume since your mentioning – vices, sockets and a tool that these should be pushed tight into that eyelet – and therefore shouldnt just fall out?

coatesy
    Free Member

22.2mm x 8mm is the size to ask for when ordering.Not sure if the DU bush is 12.5mm or 1/2″ on a fox though.

kaesae
    Free Member

All you have to replace is the inner eye let bush, if you leave it the outer bush will need replacing as well.

I have a CNC alloy bushing tool to replace the bushes for £20 I can also throw in some bushes say 3x for free with the tool. I only have one of these tools spare.

You can also get a cheap tool on ebay for £11.50 http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fox-Shock-Bush-Removal-Tool-/110638396807?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item19c28ff587

This is an OK tool to have, hope that made sense I’m knackered!

kaesae
    Free Member

The outer bushes will fall out if the inner bush or the outer bush is worn.

Normaly they would be a tight fit.

carbon337
    Free Member

kaesae – i dont understand what your saying – inner or outer bushes?

jam-bo

Depending on how worn, maybe both. Try the inner bush first.

kaesae
    Free Member

The bush that fits inside the shock is the inner eyelet bush, the bush that sits outside the shock is the outer eyelet bush.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNwXffUX1TE[/video] 😯

kaesae
    Free Member

Well I’m bored of embarrasing myself so I’m of to relax.

Buy a bushing tool keep a supply of bushes handy, every rider you know who doesn’t have one can benefit from you owning one.

Ridefree!

carbon337
    Free Member

ok which bit have you for sale? A tool and some inner bushes?

kaesae
    Free Member

I have two tools left over from when I stocked them, the exact same tool as in the video and 3x DP4 bushes.

Easy to use and handy to have, The bushes are £1.50 each so you’re getting the tool for £15.50. Which is a lot less than I’ve ever come across.

Hope that made sense, K.

gazza100

Kaesae, I’ll take one of those tools and a set bushes off your hands if they available.

chris_mbuk
    Free Member

yep ive had the same problem on my cannondale with the rp23 play first time i got new bushes and was fine then it came back and i swapped em around and not had it since 🙂

kaesae
    Free Member

See if your mates want to chip in on a tools and some bushes, then you have it if any of you need it. Or even better buy one and get paid in beer and pints 😀

You know what I’m saying 8)

seanodav
    Free Member

Carl see alan, he will make you one at work i would think 😉

kaesae
    Free Member

gazza100 I just checked and I only have one left, Why not buy one of the tools off ebay and I’ll send you some bushes in the post to test 😉

If you’re interested contact me via my email.

carbon337
    Free Member

sean – it will take him ages – will just get one of these and charge you in beer when yours go..

seanodav
    Free Member

😆 aye ok mate, surprised yours has gone so soon tbh

gazza100

Kaesae, do you know where I can get the reducers?

kaesae
    Free Member

gazza100 send me over a PM and I’ll see what I can do

carbon337
    Free Member

kaesae – received tool and bushes today, thanks for quick service.

kaesae
    Free Member

Cool, now you will have an endless supply of beer and good will 😀 If you change the inner bushes when the play develops you can avoid changing the outer bushes.

Changing those costs a lot more, mention it to your friends as well, a little bit of knowledge can save a good amount of hassle and extra expense!

If you need any help or advice just give me a shout!

Ridefree!

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Orange five + rp23 play/bushings advice needed’ is closed to new replies.