Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Orange Five rear tyre advice pls.
  • fattatlasses
    Free Member

I’m looking to replace the worn out rear tyre (Nevegal 2.35) on my Five. Fancy trying something different to yet another Nev and am looking for suggestions.

For info, the bike is mostly used on rocky/muddy terrain of Dark Peak, and I run Stans rims and fluid. The bike’s currently got a 2.35 Nev DTC on the front – which I get on OK with. I wouldn’t mind something about the same volume as the Nev, as I don’t want to slacken the head angle out any more. I’d wondered about Conti Rubber Queen 2.2″, but dunno how they come up for size – have heard the 2.4 version’s huge.

Open to suggestions re: Maxxis. I’ve tried Advantage’s, but didn’t get on with ’em. Wifes bike has 2.35 folding Minions on, which I really like, but they seem to come up a bit skinny. Anyone know of any decent ‘all mountain-ey’ trail type tyres in Specialized/Bontrager range?

blurrgh, I dunno 🙄 I guess you can understand why I’m after suggestions?!!

mikertroid
    Free Member

I use Maxxis Crossmak 2.25 on mine; very nice tyre

larrythelathe
    Free Member

second that i run crossmark unless its very muddy then i use a storm control.
    i would love a ardent in dual compound for the front

RealMan
    Free Member

Have a go with the rubber queen, seems not many don’t get converted to them after trying.

c9tln
    Free Member

What goes well up front with a crossmark?

Skyline-GTR
    Free Member

Ardent or ADvantage go well up front with Xmarks.

chris_mbuk
    Free Member

well my orange alpine came with 2.35 maxxis tyres and i changed them straight away to ( swampthings ) 2.35 42a supertacky and they work a treat, especially if your looking for something to go against muddy terrain / rocks / roots they nail them! type it in google maxxis swampthing

billybob
    Free Member

ADvantage is an awful front tyre, when I tried an orange 5 with them on both ends I kept washing out.

Works fine as a rear tyre tho.

fattatlasses
    Free Member

ADvantage is an awful front tyre, when I tried an orange 5 with them on both ends I kept washing out.

Yes, I really didn’t like it as a front tyre – seemed OK if you kept the bike upright, or really heavily leant over, but the transition between the two felt a bit too vague for me.

Crossmark is an interesting suggestion – how do you find braking grip?

GRAEMEJONES

Specialized 2.3 Enduro Pro, on mine when I had one,run Ghetto tubeless,riding in the same areas with no problems.

elaineanne
    Free Member

had a few kenda nevegals on my rear tyre , t’other day i stook a ‘kenda blue groove’ on my orange five .

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I’ve run 2.2 RQs on my Five and they’re great. Also run 2.35 HRs as well as a Conti Race King or a Maxxis Larsen on the rear when it’s drier. All tubeless, all good.

Intrigued by the new Conti Baron 2.3s as well.

FieldMarshall

I’ve run several types of Nevegals and Minions on mine.

The largest Nevegal I have managed to squeeze in was a 2.5 DTC which resulted in quite a bit of swingarm rub. The 2.5 minion (front) (both single and double ply) both fitted a treat. I found the minion 2.35 a bit narrow.

I love the bike to bits but I do think that it’s a bit of a design fault that you can’t get a proper sized 2.5 in there, given that it’s advertised as a AM bike that is capable of being taken to the Alps.

I’ve also run Swampthings which grip like mad but are uber draggy.

gamo
    Free Member

Rubber queen X king combo on mine and very good
    they are too!

fattatlasses
    Free Member

Thanks for all the suggestions. I’ve had a reet good ferret around my garage today and, in the bowels of the bike cupboard, have found an unused Crossmark (2.25 Folding) 🙂 Bonus! Just got the fun and games of trying to get it to inflate tubeless. Have tried it on a spare wheel using an old tube, and the size and ‘luginess’ looks pretty good – I’m gonna give it a go and see how I get on.

Cheers.

mikertroid
    Free Member

Have no probs at all with breaking grip

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Orange Five rear tyre advice pls.’ is closed to new replies.