Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Orange Five noisy swingarm (as in noisier than normal)
  • 06awjudd
    Free Member

Hi all,

I was riding some downhill at Aston Hill when the swingarm started making this disconcerting clunking noise over the rough stuff. I thought it also seemed to moving laterally more than usual.

First thought was bearings. So after a massive hassle getting them swapped over, involving a plasma cutter among other inappropriate tools, they have been replaced.

Went for a ride today, and the hollow clunking noise is still there 👿

Brake caliper is tight on, shock bolts are fine, as are bushes, so not too sure what it could be.

I also have replaced the dropout.

Can’t really think what it can be, I’d like to think it’s just a standard Orange noise, but I don’t remember it being present before.

The noise is only present when I’m riding over roots and small rocks, not when I stand on the pedals and jump up and down to compress the shock.

Many thanks!

dirtyboy

Gear cable slapping around inside swingarm I’d wager

Phil_H

Rear mech hitting of the swing arm?

smatkins1
    Free Member

rear hub?

06awjudd
    Free Member

Gear cable slapping around inside swingarm I’d wager

Possible, but I can’t see how that can make such a clunky noise – I’ll check it out.

Rear mech hitting of the swing arm?

Is that even possible?

rear hub?

I’ll have a look, any idea how I can check for this?

smatkins1
    Free Member

to check the rear hub… grab hold of wheel and shake violently from side to side. If you have any sign of play, you have a problem.

ninenailspete
    Free Member

I had this last week – it was a snapped rear hub axle. I figured it out when I took the back wheel off to fix a puncture and the cassette fell off.

06awjudd
    Free Member

Thanks for the help. I’ll give the rear end a purge tomorrow!

RUSSTY
    Free Member

It could be your axle , if its not tight enough a creeking sound can be heard that is amplified through the swing arm as it is a large box section . Put a bit of copper grease on the lugs and tighten the q realise or through axle , it works on mine 🙂

06awjudd
    Free Member

It could be your axle , if its not tight enough a creeking sound can be heard that is amplified through the swing arm as it is a large box section . Put a bit of copper grease on the lugs and tighten the q realise or through axle , it works on mine

Will do that presently 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Orange Five noisy swingarm (as in noisier than normal)’ is closed to new replies.