Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Orange Five front end conundrum
  • Brycey
    Free Member

Folks

I’ve got an ’05 Five, and I’ve spent many a happy hour aboard it. However, it’s a couple of years since the forks were serviced, and the front end feels awful. Should I:

1) Send the Fox Float 130s off to Mojo for a 90 quid revamp.
    2) Buy new forks – recommendations welcome.
    3) Hold out until next Spring when I intend to replace the bike anyway.

The Manitou Swinger on the back could do with some attention as well. Anyone done much with them?

Cheers

IA

4) Diy service, guides on the fox site.?

enfht
    Free Member

5) pray that two years without a service won’t cost you more than a 90 quid revamp

Brycey
    Free Member

IA – Cheers, thought I was tied to Mojo.
    enfht – That’s useful

bent_udder
    Free Member

You can also (if I remember right) go to TF Tuned.

mttm
    Free Member

Service the Floats yourself – they’re a really simple fork to work on and Fox provide excellent step by step guides on their service website. If you fancy a new fork I run a Thor in my ’05 Five and it’s great (other forks are available…). If you’re running a Swinger 4-way, they’re a bit of a pain to dismantle yourself (special tools needed). 3-ways are easier, but I would still get it sent off to someone reputable. Your SPV will almost certainly be dead if it hasn’t had much service tlc.

z1ppy

1) Mojo/Tf Tuned either should be able to service your forks, but if there any damage Mojo are the ppl with the spare parts…
    2) RS revelations 140 with Maxle – though this may mean a new hub is required. Or a 2nd hand pair of last years with 130mm travel (non-maxle) Revelations, as they should be going cheap, as they now ‘superceeded’ by the 140mm maxle version.
    3) … I’d go for the servicing the forks then… or 2nd hand rev’s
    4) Just sent my Manitou to Hotlines for a ‘std’ service, cheaper than TF Tuned (who can service them too) though they seemed to take there time… (they blame thepost, the post says it was there ages ago).. haven’t put it back on the bike yet to test it though.

bowglie

as per mttm really. If you’re confident doing it, service the Forks yourself and send the shock off to TF tuned. TBH, if servicing them improves them to the same extent that I found, you might end up keeping the bike! Wouldn’t worry too much about not servicing them for 2 years – I had a pair of 2004 Fox Talas’s serviced by TF for the first time last year (er..slightly overdue..cough) and there was nothing needed outside TF’s normal service. (really recommend TF tuned BTW – he’s now transformed the performance of 3 shocks/forks of mine – well worth the money)

igm

I put 140mm Pikes on mine and prefer the front to back balance

Brycey
    Free Member

Great help all, thanks

orange
    Free Member

go TA and get some new 140mm rev’s – excellent !

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Orange Five front end conundrum’ is closed to new replies.