Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Orange five drivetrain advice
  • samwise
    Free Member

Hey ive just got myself an 2013 orange five frame built up. currently with my 2013 2×10 slx groupset the front mech was too small so i need to get a new one but after looking on the orange website have become a bit confused as it says 2×10 drivetrains wont work properly as it brings it too close to the frame.

this is from the orange website;
    “2x 10 Specific

True 2×10 specific mountain bike chain sets with compact chain rings (normally 28-42T or 26-38t) are available from both Shimano and SRAM. Most of these chainsets have a narrower Q factor than a triple chainset.

This means that the chain rings sit in closer to frame. This combined with the position of the pivots and tolerances on our handmade frames mean 2×10 specific chainsets are not compatible with our frames.”

So im just wandering the best course of action do i stick with my 2×10 will it work ok? or should i get the slx triple take the top ring off and fit a bash gaurd ( think this would be good to do eventually anyway, but be good if dont have to do it right away)

Also looking i see these etype derailleurs would that be a good choice, looks like it could be less in the way and works with some chain guides right?

another thin i was thinking of doing was going 1×10 but if the q factor of my 2×10 cranks is to close to the frame id still need new cranks anyway right? and i do like my granny gear for long hill climbs so dont think im really ready for that just yet.

I hav seen the extra large 42teeth cassette ring to convert to 1×11 but i cant find a shimano 11speed shifter so is that only possible with sram?

any advice muchly appreciated. thanks in advance 🙂

cardo

I’m running a 2×9 on my 5 it’s the SLX M665 one with a 36 cog and it fits fine.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Just fit it and see if it is ok?

I love that “tolerances of our hand made frame” line….

legend
    Free Member

I’ve got 2×9 on two Fives here. On the trail they both work absolutely fine, however on the work stand (shock fully extend) the chain can catch on the swingarm.

This is what’ll happen if you someone manage to make a right arse of the setup, then keep using it for some reason:

ads678

I’ve run a triple as a double, and a specific double on my five. Both seem fine just watch for fouling the swing arm with inner chainrings larger than 22 tooth. or 36t middle rings, I can’t remember which now…..

samwise
    Free Member

I think mines 24/38 i didnt notice any issues of it being close to the swing arm. I was more concerned about if the chain rings would be too far over causing alignment issues with the cassette. as you say best to just get out and ride 🙂

Northwind

I think that’s fairly old info on the website, might be worth checking in with Orange as it’s pretty hard to believe they could be daft enough to have made a totally new Five and still not fixed that…

samwise
    Free Member

just went and had a look the chain ring is well clear i suppose its possible the chain could catch the swing arm during gear shifting ill have to get derailleur that will fit and see how it goes

pitchpro2011
    Free Member

It will catch when shifting. 36-38 is too big, is only a matter of time, 34 fits and doesn’t catch, I’ve taken the shock off to test. I did have a 36 on but decided to take the advice of a fellow rider and not risk ripping the swing arm apart.

samwise
    Free Member

Hmmm ill have to have a look maybe get the triple cranks after all

mikewsmith
    Free Member

samwise – Member
    Hmmm ill have to have a look maybe get the triple cranks after all

try a modern frame instead?

samwise
    Free Member

Hey guys managed to fit a front derailleur and test the gear shifting, it doesnt catch 🙂 it is a little close but i think it has enough clearance, looking at bikes onliny and even with the triples it still seems a bit close i may even try with my mates triple see the difference 🙂

wukfit
    Free Member

you’d describe that pic above as Scrapes on chain side pivot from bad 2×10 combo – cosmetic wouldn’t you though?

wonderchump
    Free Member

Use 1×10 on mine with SRAM X9 cranks and a 34t MRP bling ring / chain device. 11-36t on the back and all is good. The chain-line with the Bling Ring remains correct at 50mm and there is easily enough clearance.

Big-Bud
    Free Member

2×9 here 2013 theres clearly something wrong with the fitment you’ve done as i have no issues at all.
    U sure you’ve got the correct spacers etc on the bb

Just a thought

Big-Bud
    Free Member

Looked again at that orange orange 🙂 its defo a fitting issue there rings on wrong

legend
    Free Member

Rings? It only has one ring so it’s grand.

P.S. It’s nothing to do with me, just a random photo

thorpie
    Free Member

One of the reasons I got a Transition Bandit!

wonderchump
    Free Member

The ring in the photo is on the opposite side of the spider to where it should be isn’t it? Could be wrong!

legend
    Free Member

Nope, it’s mounted in the middle position. Standard way to mount a single

chrismac

I use a 22 and a 32 on the 2 inner mounts on a triple. I was advised to go no bigger than 32 as they hit the swing arm and that the suspension is designed around the chain line from a 32 chainring

samwise
    Free Member

I have 24/38 so far seems good, its about a centre metre away from the swingarm. should be cool right?

legend
    Free Member

Lift the back wheel off the ground (or put the bike in a workstand if you have one) and shift between the two rings. You’ll see then how close the chain gets to the swingarm and if it’s going to foul.

chestrockwell

My old 2009 5 AM came with a double so it can’t be that much of an issue.

dirtydog
    Free Member

I’ve been running a triple 10 speed XT converted to double and bash with 36-24 rings on my 2011 five for the last two years, no issues to report.

Northwind

chestrockwell – Member

My old 2009 5 AM came with a double so it can’t be that much of an issue.

Did that not come with a doubled version of a triple crank, rather than a double-specific crank? Not the same thing.

dirtydog
    Free Member

Northwind, I think they where double specific but they came fitted with 22-34 or 32 rings to allow for clearance.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Orange five drivetrain advice’ is closed to new replies.