Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Orange Five bearing replacement – slight botheration.
  • 06awjudd
    Free Member

Hi all,

It’s pivot bearing replacement time, and what seems to have been advertised as a 15 minute job seems to have turned into a bit of a nightmare as with most bike maintenance jobs.

The drive-side bearing has seized onto the pivot, so when I smacked the swingarm it just moved over the outer race. In my infinite wisdom I then tightened the bearing clamp so tight that the outer race of the bearing cracked open. I have since managed to gouge out the ball bearings, and everything else, and am now just left with the inner race clamped onto the pivot :

Any ideas how to get it off?

Another problem I’ll have to face in the not too distant future is the non drive-side bearing removal. The bearing clamp bolt seems to not want to screw in, or out for some reason. I’ve checked the threads of both bolt and swingarm and both are fine, but it seems to be unbelievably tight when screwing in, and creaks loads. Any ideas ?

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks.

robhughes
    Free Member

Send it to orange.I would.I’m sure they’ve seen it all before..
    It’s worth it not to do some serious damage somewhere.
    Only cost you £30 tops for postage both ways.

06awjudd
    Free Member

I’ll give Orange a call and see what they say.

If they have no ideas, I may have to try to dremmel through the inner race 🙁

raisinhat
    Free Member

Can’t you get the other bearing out as well and then take the swingarm off? From that point it shouldn’t be too hard to tap the inner race off the pivot.

06awjudd
    Free Member

@Raisinhat – The non drive-side bearing came out no problem, but I can’t get the swingarm off, because the inner race is wider than the gap in the bearing clamp. 😥

Not really sure what else to try.

ndg
    Free Member

You could get the right sized easy out to fit over the inner race and get it spinning and then off?

06awjudd
    Free Member

You could get the right sized easy out to fit over the inner race and get it spinning and then off?

Maybe worth a try, it’s either that or buying a dremel and cutting it off, by the sounds of it.

I’ll give my LBS and Orange a call tomorrow and see what to do.

gusamc
    Free Member

can you lie bike with this upright, soak in a releasing agent(Plus Gas etc), make a small reservoir (plasticine etc etc, fill it with releasing agent and leave

also see – http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mini-Arm-Puller-3-Bearing-Puller-Gear-Puller-450950-UK-SELLER-/270973001312?pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item3f173fde60 but I’m not sure you could get the arms round the bearing thru the arm hole

06awjudd
    Free Member

can you lie bike with this upright, soak in a releasing agent(Plus Gas etc), make a small reservoir (plasticine etc etc, fill it with releasing agent and leave

also see – http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mini-Arm-Puller-3-Bearing-Puller-Gear-Puller-450950-UK-SELLER-/270973001312?pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item3f173fde60 but I’m not sure you could get the arms round the bearing thru the arm hole

Thanks gusamc, that bearing removal tool looks the ticket. Should be a good insurance policy if the dremel doesn’t go to plan.

fatharrywhite
    Free Member

I had the exact same problem as you.
    You should try a decent sized pair of maul grips and put the ends of the jaws onto the bearing and tighten the grips as much as you can, then give the grips a bloody good waggle up and down as much as you can. This worked for me, the bearing race cracked then came off. Hope this helps !

06awjudd
    Free Member

Thanks, I’ll give that ago tomorrow! Luckily my dad knows a guy, so I think he should be able to do it. And if that fails my LBS has a dremel, though I’m loathe to spend money on something that can be fixed so quickly with the correct tool!

fatharrywhite
    Free Member

Yes the dremel was my next plan of action but luckily the grips worked, hope it works for you ! Just get the grips on mega tight !

06awjudd
    Free Member

Right. An update for any interested.

I’ve managed to get the bearing race off, in the end a plasma cutter was used 😯 (I wasn’t actually there)
    The pivot spindle needed a slight wetsand to get all the grime off, but the new bearings went in fine and so I then aligned the swingarm.

Then I tried to put the bearing clamp bolts back in. Unfortunately, one of them, then non-drive side one, as before was weirdly tight, despite me checking the threads of the hole and the bolt. I ended up rounding the head off the bolt about 2mm from the end. 😳 👿 😥

I’m going to reassemble the bike tomorrow and take it for a ride, and hope and pray the clamp is tight enough to grip the bearings properly.

If not, I have no idea what to do 🙁

EDIT: Fatharrywhite : I tried the mole grips and mine are a bit sh*@£y, so they weren’t gripping hard enough.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Orange Five bearing replacement – slight botheration.’ is closed to new replies.