Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Orange five Advice and information.
  • applesandoranges
    Free Member

Hi, i am soon wanting to buy a orange five mountain Bike 27.5 . The last time i test ridden a 5 i loved it. Strong, capable on climbs and excellent for me as i am more of a beefy thrash it type of rider.

Ive not been keeping up with the crack on newer models as due to tight finances ive had to stick to my old giant anthem for about 4 years. Now i have a budget of about £1200 to £1500 for a second hand five.

I need some inforation and advice. I am around 5ft9 and I have a inner leg of about 31. Ive always had meium frames. Would the medium frame more be suited for me ?.ive always had xc bikes and gemomentry on trail type bikes are difftent so its worth checking.

Sadly i can not test ride a newer five, my last local bike shop has went caput and they were the only shop that stock tester fives within 50 miles of me which is long if you dont drive.

The five I test road was a 2012 model 26 and now i want a 2014 or 2015 27.5

Last question I have. How come the 2014.and older fives are 18″ medium but on the orange site the newer bikes are 17″ medium? This confuses me , can anybody shed some light on this.

Also does anybody know what year the 27.5 five came out. Cheers.

rickon
    Free Member

You’re probably a medium. If you like long bikes, then you’d also fit on a large with a shorter stem.

If youve been riding XC bikes, then a medium will be spot on for you.

The reason the seattubes have got smaller to give a better standover, and so you can slam the saddle for better descending. Don’t mistake the seat tube as an idea of size though, the 2015 medium is a lot longer and bigger than the 2014 medium.

You’ll struggle with a budget of £1500 to get a 2015 five though. Keep your eye on here in the for sale, and on pink bike.

The 2014 model with the kinked top tube…. I may know of one for sale, if my mate has just bought a 2017 one.

dirtydog
    Free Member

iirc there’s not much difference between the 26″ wheeled 17″and 18″ apart from the seat tube length, all other dimensions were virtually the same.

The new bikes are completely different in terms of reach length etc so you cant really compare a 26″ wheeled 17″/ 18″ , with the current bikes.

Think the 27.5 came out 2014.

applesandoranges
    Free Member

Thanks for your replys, is their much diffrence between the 15 and the 14 five?

rickon
    Free Member

The 2015/16 five is about 10mm longer in top tube, so will feel a bit longer sat down, and 20mm longer reach, so will feel a good amount longer when stood up.

All this means is you run a shorter or longer stem depending on how you like your bikes.

The longer bike will feel more stable, the shorter a bit more playful/quicker handling.

Don’t read too much into that though, as it really doesn’t matter. Either year model will be fine for you.

You’d likely get a better deal on a 2014, if you do go secondhand, look for one that’s barely been ridden, there’s usually some about on Pinkbike or here.

2014 vs 2015 photos here…

Del

No connection, there’s a 5 frame on the classifieds now that looks good.

applesandoranges
    Free Member

Interesting, i know you cant judge a book by its cover but i kind of prefer the classic appeal of the the 14 five. Think ill listen to the good advice and go with the 14. I could possibly stretch to a 15 but with my budget it will be bottom spec v a higer spec 14.

chestrockwell

The early 15 bikes had the curved top tube as the revision came in half way through the model year.

I’d go large if I were you as you can shorten the stem as per current fashion but still keep a decent sized riding position.

Look at the RS spec if possible as it was a real leap above S or Pro at the time. £1500 should get you a tidy one as the price of the curved bikes has taken a real hit recently.

Don’t go for the first you see or be conned into paying too much. There’s a huge difference in what they go for these days and what many sellers think they’re worth.

applesandoranges
    Free Member

Yeah i think the RS is a great choice but your right about people overvalueing the five. Hmm not sure about large , i know their is advantages about havin a large just mediums feel more natural to me. Shame i cant try both.

applesandoranges
    Free Member

Any other shorter riders prefer the larger five?

TheOtherJamie
    Free Member

Yeah i think the RS is a great choice but your right about people overvalueing the five.

They were £4200 new and came with X1 11 speed, pikes, stealth reverb, flows on pro2’s, Raceface SixC carbon bars, etc.

I’d say £1500 was undervaluing it! You’d get more splitting it.

(Jamie 2015 bent top tube Five RS owner)

applesandoranges
    Free Member

Tbh i wouldint buy a five new , great bikes but they are overvalued as of retail price and im not the only one tonsay that. when you compare what you can get for the same money. Another reason i want a second hand five. I know orabges are expensive to manufacture with the “built in britain talk. But thats probably why they are so expensive for what you get.

I was looking on orange site , five pro was about 3k plus and came with elxir brakes.

Amazing bike for the right price tho.

dirtydog
    Free Member

Tbh i wouldint buy a five new ,

I did, frame only, wouldn’t do it again, not sure I’d ever by a new bike again, better value to be had buying second hand.

applesandoranges
    Free Member

Yes mate same here , at the end of the day they are most likey going to be getting batterd around trails anyway.

My anthem i bought it new and i regret it seeing i cant even get near half what i paid for it .

Even if money was not an option id still stick to second hand.

rickon
    Free Member
    robbie
    Free Member

I have a 14 model five that is up for sale. medium frame, white with a few extras, hope b/b 1 x 10 rockshox dropper etc, bike is in very good condition. looking for £1500 if you are interested I can send you the link for the add, And I can courier it if needed. oh and ive owned from new and comes with the owners card to prove it’s not nicked.
    Cheers

Wookster

That red one looks a good shout.

applesandoranges
    Free Member

Hi thanks ive actually put a deposit down on a 2016 five. The price was to good to resist.

Its a 2016 custom five pro 650b. Its great price,
    Will need to do some changes to it, like drive chain
    , possibly swap out thr fox 32s for pikes in the long run.

But ill probs have this bike atleast 5 years so plenty time for that. Even has a dropper post included.

It is a medium, felt spot on for me.

Its the neon green, would of liked the fizzy orange but i cant really complain and still looks great.

Someone mentioned about the newer models being bigger. Mine actually felt bigger than a medium but still fits great.

I thought may as well get a newish one as it will do me for years.

Ill post some photos if anyone wants to see it.

Thanks to thosw who suggested pink biks, i went on there and the perfect five was within 20 miles of me.

Goldigger
    Free Member

I’m 5’9″ also with a 31″ leg, I ride a medium 2014 five. Large would be way to big.
    I built mine up myself, spent about £3600.
    XT groupset, reverb, pikes, CCDB CS air, flow ex on hope pro 2 evos SP.
    Saved £300 on the frame as it was display model..

applesandoranges
    Free Member

Nice matw, yeah in 59 and have about a 31 to i agree. Feels much more natural.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Orange five Advice and information.’ is closed to new replies.